The things some "fans" say...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wait a minute...After all, the quote did say that Whitmire is talented. And I definitely have felt that a character has changed along with his/her performer. That's how I felt about Arthur when I watched the show.
Exactly, the quote wasn't putting Steve down as a performer; just saying that when you switch actors the character is going to change personalities somewhat. And it's not at all strange or wrong for fans to simply prefer the character a particular way.

I still don't see why that particular fan is getting flack for the crime of liking Jim Henson's performance, lol.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Exactly, the quote wasn't putting Steve down as a performer; just saying that when you switch actors the character is going to change personalities somewhat. And it's not at all strange or wrong for fans to simply prefer the character a particular way.

I still don't see why that particular fan is getting flack for the crime of liking Jim Henson's performance, lol.
In no way am I giving anyone flack. It's just the way that some people express their opinions that gets intolerable.

Everybody's entitled to their opinions, but some people should learn to express them in a more respectable manner.

Fraggline

Reaction score
You're right. Thanks for putting that so nicely. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait a minute...maybe I was too ignorant. After all, the quote did say that Whitmire is talented. And I definitely have felt that a character has changed along with his/her performer. That's how I felt about Arthur when I watched the show.

Here's the difference.

When it comes to a show like Arthur, they do the unfortunate, yet more realistic sounding practice of hiring child actors to do voice work for child characters instead of adult women. Those voices have to be replaced indefinitely to keep them sounding like children. And you have to figure, the show's been on and in production for 15 years. Characters like Buster, Muffy, and Francine sound exactly the same because they're the ones voiced by adults... but even then, their characters seemed to change (to some extent, the only exception is Muffy) with every season anyway. Francine, for example, almost completely lost her bullying competitive edge and started to actually care about other characters a lot more. She's a LOT nicer to Arthur, at any rate.

Fun fact in the same vein... the kid who did the voice of Froggo in Histeria did that character's voice because his voice was changing at the time, and that was the ONLY voice he could do.

Fraggline

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. And by the way, are you an Arthur fan? You seem to know a lot about the show!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was a fan of Arthur even before there WAS a show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was a fan of Arthur even before there WAS a show.
Same here! My Mom used to read me Arthur's Eyes long before there was a show. I actually even kind of like Arthur better in book form, hehe.

Fraggline

Reaction score
Same here! My Mom used to read me Arthur's Eyes long before there was a show. I actually even kind of like Arthur better in book form, hehe.
Hey, I remember that book being at my library! I have to admit, though, that I was terrified by the long-nosed Arthur in the book (I had only watched the T.V. show), and bingboingcutie and I would stand nervously a few feet away from it on the shelves. Now, though, I think I've overcome my fear. :smile: