NEW Muppet Poster

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I wouldn't stick up for Disney, i very much doubt they care about what we think. They're just pumping this out for the $.
If they were doing it for the fans (which is what some of you have put) then they'd actually take some time on it, we're not stupid, rather than getting someone to do it in photoshop. You have half an hour, GO! Drop Shaows! i like you're thinking!
This is just being pumped out to make a quick buck, you can smell it a mile off.
having said all that, i really do hope the film's good and I hope that you are all able to tell me to eat my own words. It's just not the muppets though, just seems like some lame cash in.
I personally haven't liked the muppets since Jim passed away, sure the old voice talents are still here and there and there are little moments, but i just don't buy it. The charm and bite has gone. I don't get why people are still getting excited about new muppet stuff. For the cleaner looking puppets? I don't know..

As a true fan of Henson's work I really cannot enjoy anything that's made under his name and legacy after he's been gone for 20+ years. It's just baffling to me.
I completely disagree. What was said above is just plain being mean.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I personally haven't liked the muppets since Jim passed away, sure the old voice talents are still here and there and there are little moments, but i just don't buy it. The charm and bite has gone. I don't get why people are still getting excited about new muppet stuff. For the cleaner looking puppets? I don't know..

As a true fan of Henson's work I really cannot enjoy anything that's made under his name and legacy after he's been gone for 20+ years. It's just baffling to me.
This is an opinion we're all sick of hearing. I am sick and tired of the so called "fans" who call out other fans for WANTING more stuff instead of just watching the same 3 movies over and over again.

Newsflash... NOTHING is as good as it was when the creator died. NOTHING! Heck. George Lucas is still alive and his Star Wars films aren't as good as the old ones.

Here's something... let's say that every property dies with their creator... right? Then we'd complain about the new characters and new projects and want the old stuff back again. Nothing's good enough for anyone anymore, why should anyone bother trying. Hey! Let's just pick 4 key TV shows from the past and rerun them relentlessly on television for the rest of eternity. Shut down Hollywood completely. Then we'd get sick of the reruns.

"I don't see why people still get excited" is BULL and you know it. Hey, some of us actually WANT a new movie or a new project because we've seen the old stuff a hundred times. Some of us actually, maturely, might I add accept the fact Jim's gone and we'll never see the same quality again, but WANT to see them try so we don't permanently mothball a franchise/group of favorite characters.

By your logic, bad movie poster=bad movie... wow... that means we haven't had a good movie since 1995. I haven't seen a good movie poster since then. Everything's either a bad photo shoot or a CGI composite of all the characters in a movie with a 'tude. Jeez.... I wish I could dig up the John K. rant about movie posters.....

Now that I think about it... here are some things not in the poster that ALL children's movie posters are guilty of...

• Horrid, unfunny, forced puns in the bi-line, often referring to date of release
  • characters with sly looks on their faces that say "We're for kids, but we got an ATTITUDE, Dudes!" to try and sucker jaded 10 year olds to see than instead of sneaking into an R rated film.
  • Hip Hop pose! So ethnic people will love a movie starring, written, produced, and catered by white people.
  • And of course, random sunglasses because it's perpetually 1980's summer time.
That alone makes this poster not suck as much as everything else.

No one has a bleeding gun to your head. If you don't want to watch the film, don't !(come on! Happy Feet 2 looks so much more superior, right?) But don't ruin it for everyone else.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think all movie posters are awful since 1995 o.o That's just as much a matter of taste as liking certain muppet movies or not :stick_out_tongue: (and quite a bit doom and gloomy). Even the sunglasses, I really don't mind if it's 80's summertime (and I look at movie posters from around the world as well).
If they don't want to watch anything after his death I say let them, it's not like it is going to end in the tv showing only three shows forever anymore than new movie posters are *never* going to be good :\.
Not that I think there are no good new muppet movies (most of my childhood was after Disney bought them and my favorite will always be when they went to Disney World) but I think tv could do with more re runs all around of old movies and shows. They would rather show reruns of already running shows that children and adult fans alike have seen the same 10 episodes of a million times than show an older (pre-2000 or even pre-1998) show or movie that they have the rights to show that is a good show and hasn't been on for years -.- Getting a fan base for new shows would not be uncut by showing more of the old ones and acting like Disney etc actually had a history beyond DVD classic sets IMHO :stick_out_tongue:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wouldn't stick up for Disney, i very much doubt they care about what we think. They're just pumping this out for the $.
If they were doing it for the fans (which is what some of you have put) then they'd actually take some time on it, we're not stupid, rather than getting someone to do it in photoshop. You have half an hour, GO! Drop Shaows! i like you're thinking!
This is just being pumped out to make a quick buck, you can smell it a mile off.
having said all that, i really do hope the film's good and I hope that you are all able to tell me to eat my own words. It's just not the muppets though, just seems like some lame cash in.

Ok, I'm not going to sugar coat it. You, sir, are the embodiment of fans I hate. I honestly dont care if you do not support new muppet projects or do not want to see the movie. Thats not what annoys me. Its the self righteous attitude and calling yourself a true fan of henson while suggesting that those of us who do support new projects are not true fans. Its an incredibly ignorant thing to even suggest. I believe Jim would want us to continue being fans and believing in the muppets. So go ahead hating all new muppet projects without seeing them, go ahead and continue your opinion of prefering Henson era muppets, but how DARE you suggest that we who do not share your opinions are not fans.

douggy

Reaction score
I'm not saying that, i just feel constantly let down by the various hands that have delt with the muppets, nobody has seemed to get the right balance, and recapture the magic. And yeah, i have seen the new projects, with hope that one day the madness will return. I honestly really do wish this film is brilliant, i really do, it's been a long time coming, but when they put out crappy posters out hoping to get us excited it's a real let down. This is disney we're talking about, one of the biggest names on the planet. At least they can do put some effort in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not going to sugar coat it. You, sir, are the embodiment of fans I hate. I honestly dont care if you do not support new muppet projects or do not want to see the movie. Thats not what annoys me. Its the self righteous attitude and calling yourself a true fan of henson while suggesting that those of us who do support new projects are not true fans. Its an incredibly ignorant thing to even suggest. I believe Jim would want us to continue being fans and believing in the muppets. So go ahead hating all new muppet projects without seeing them, go ahead and continue your opinion of prefering Henson era muppets, but how DARE you suggest that we who do not share your opinions are not fans.
Well said!

Honestly. the crap going on with DC2 and Fraggle Rock the movie, and every TV pilot they tried in the last 10 years, and the Doozer Cartoon (and basically everything that isn't a CGI DTV movie or sub-licensed comic book), I am absolutely ELATED Disney bought the Muppets and actually managed to DO something with them after that dreadful power play that put someone incompetent in charge of the branch. Henson is doing bo-diddly-squat, they can't find a competent partner to get ANYTHING off of the ground. I mean, the FR movie has been in development purgatory since 2005... DC2 even longer... and we finally got the first Theatrical Muppet Movie in 12 years, Henson couldn't have even given us a DTV or Telefilm by now.

But really... true fan? That WAS bull and EVERYONE on the board, even others who dislike the new stuff know it.
I don't think all movie posters are awful since 1995 o.o That's just as much a matter of taste as liking certain muppet movies or not :stick_out_tongue: (and quite a bit doom and gloomy). Even the sunglasses, I really don't mind if it's 80's summertime (and I look at movie posters from around the world as well).
I'm sorry... but who wouldn't want to blow their nose on this:

But nothing has the sheer horrifying beyond belief you don't know whether to cry or punch a hole in the wall-ness of

I'm putting my bias behind how utterly disgusting the movie became aside... but really... Butts? HAW HAW HAW! I'm a slowwitted 4 year old and it's 1998! Butts are STILL funny!

I've also noticed that EVERY SINGLE Alvin and the Chipmunk poster uses the SAME CGI composite (with Simon's "hip" arm folding! WORD!) with new clothes Photoshopped on. LAAAAAAZY!

Still, some of us are whining about the poster, but some of us are offering INFORMED educated constructive criticism. Still... I miss the days of old great movie posters.

douggy

Reaction score
I agree that movie posters were much better back then but there are still good ones that come out. Granted they're not paintings but there are still good ones.. now and then.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Still, some of us are whining about the poster, but some of us are offering INFORMED educated constructive criticism.
O.O For goodness sakes, I wasn't ATTACKING you :stick_out_tongue: All I said was that 'I don't think all movie posters are awful since 1995 o.o '

As far as the butts poster goes, I see it as more the fact that they got caught in the door (something that happens quite often in cities) than 'look at our behinds' :stick_out_tongue:.

The dog poster with sunglasses, well that just reminds me of all the other posters that did the same with dogs, to say nothing of the Men In Black movies (which posters are always trying to mimic anyway) and Air Bud, Beethoven etc....

I would not say that liking any newer posters means that someone is uninformed (or even, to a lesser degree, just stating that they would like a world with more reruns of the old muppet movies\shows when they are so old now they could be put back on as a new show and many generations would not be the wiser). That is as crazy as saying that fans of the newer muppets aren't true fans, just to a lesser level of the same 'it use to be good now its awful and if anyone doesn't think it's awful that makes them stupid or a four year old'.
Are my favorite movie posters from the 70's/80's/early 90's? Yes, but I still like some of the new posters they make. Not all, but some....
Of the two posters I like the M one better because they seem to be interacting a bit more than posing, but they both have flaws. Are they big enough flaws to where I would not buy a reprint of one and hang it? No...

If you meant that my comment about at Disney World was uninformed because JH wasn't dead yet (wasn't that his last project? I was very young to remember his death (Edit: Okay it was, hm.) I agree. I just realized that...:stick_out_tongue: Still, it had a very new muppets feel to it, vs. the older projects..I see it as three different 'generations' of muppetdom... It's felt so long between the newer shorts and the movie I almost want to say four now...

Drtooth

Reaction score
O.O For goodness sakes, I wasn't ATTACKING you :stick_out_tongue: All I said was that 'I don't think all movie posters are awful since 1995 o.o '

Nah! I'm just referring to those who are thinking this is going to be the worst Muppet project ever because of the poster.

As far as the butts poster goes, I see it as more the fact that they got caught in the door (something that happens quite often in cities) than 'look at our behinds' :stick_out_tongue:.
Why not their heads, then? Why not their arms, like in the real world? The movie is clearly about immature butt poop fart toilet jokes that everyone is sick of by now, so why not make a poster that revels in that?

The dog poster with sunglasses, well that just reminds me of all the other posters that did the same with dogs, to say nothing of the Men In Black movies (which posters are always trying to mimic anyway) and Air Bud, Beethoven etc....
Well, with Men in Black, the sunglasses are a VERY important part of the plot... they protect them from those Neutralizers, for example. Even then, there's a difference between The Blues Brothers and their authentic attitude and coolness, and a forced coolness by shoving sunglasses on an animal.

I dunno, maybe it's just an artist's eye or something, but Movie posters used to be an artform... If there was a nice article or page or something that had some old theatrical posters, I'd post it here... especially in the 60's through the 80's... that stuff was just beautiful. I mean, those Muppet Movie posters, especially for the first film are just beautiful. There are some others I rather liked. Like the BTTF series. All 3 posters of that one. Sure, there was the simple Ghostbusters with just the logo... but even then it had a quiet minimalistic dignity about it. For kid's movies all I see are just trying too hard to be hip or slapdash immature humor. Pixar manages to do some good ones. a few of Dreamwork's haven't been too bad....I like the Igor poster, actually... overall, there's just so much magic in illustrated movie posters that no CGI composites or photoshoots or photoshop can ever recapture.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Okay then :smile:. Sorry, internet makes it hard for me to tell things sometimes...

Maybe with the Smurfs...You know now that I think of it the door would most likely kill the poor little things ;.; (Since when did a movie been set in the middle ages where magic is real become uncool to little kids? Even in today's market you could get the same readers of Harry Potter into a canon setting Smurf movie *sigh*

The weird thing is I just know that there are people on DA and other places who could draw something just as nice as the first muppet movie poster and then some for a very reasonable (by Disney's pocket book) amount of money for the new Muppet movie..And those types of posters are so unheard of now that they could become 'hip' again if moivegoers got to see them :stick_out_tongue: