1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

NEW Muppet Poster

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by bknatchbull, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I hope even if the movie poster isn't hand drawn some of the new products made after the new movie will have the classic style drawings used. If there is one thing I remember about the late 80's early 90's it's that the art for many muppets ads and books was wonderful and detailed...
    frogboy4 likes this.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Have you seen the 2008-2009 videos online? Most true fans of JH recognize those as some of the finest modern Muppet writing/productions.

Smurfs were always grotesque devilish garbage, and I say that having been around the early 80's original Smurfs hype. Garfield on the other hand has long been a wonderful thing, and it just got ruined with the computer/live action film, dtv cgi films, etc
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

There's a LOT of good modern posters.

The Dark Knight, Inception, the new Dark Knight Rises(ok those are all Nolan films)
    but also all the Tron posters. The TMNT 2007 film poster. I can think of a lot of amazing film posters.

I however cannot think of one cgi/live action kids movie I liked. Actually most kids/family films of the last decade I cant stand. Even cgi features to me are a mixed bag, the exception being Pixar and the occasional Dreamworks(like MvA)

But yeah theres always camps of fans who prefer "golden years" nostaligia and don't care for modern stuff. I can see that with Star Wars fans.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

To steal someone's revue of something else entirely...

The Smurfs is something that if you don't like as a kid, you'll never acquire a taste for it as an adult. But then again, I kinda think, retroactively looking at the show and the comics, that Fred Silverman and Hanna Barbera sort of ruined it... not in the destroying the concept to make a idiotic movie for dummies way... more of a making it slightly more American and kid friendly 1980's TV Broadcast Standards and Practices way. I mean, think about it this way... it took over 20 years for the US to get it, and we only got toys first. Then the show came about because the network head's daughter had the toys. Of course, there's some subtle, unexplainable Franco Belgian quality and humor (coming from someone who reads Franco Belgian comics infrequently) that's completely lost... and of course, BS&P would NEVER have let Smurfs punch each other out, like they actually do in the comics.

I kinda feel the same way about TMNT... the cartoon makes everyone think of Cowabunga and pizza and characters that weren't present in the original comics... and NO ONE realizes they were trained by Splinter to be assassins to kill Shredder.

Of course... the 1980's cartoon closest to the original comic source material that wasn't a DC or Marvel comic was... oddly enough, Ducktales... and even then, characters were added and subtracted. Smurfs actually is kinda close, even using some stories from the comics in the first season... but in a cleaned up, American, non-violent kiddy way.
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I agree that I could see how someone could hate the 80's cartoon, but count me and the circles of those I grew up with and their parents as people that really loved it. I guess, it's just a taste thing, and it is true that it doesn't change many adult minds leter on if you didn't like it to start with...But not everyone can like the same things :)
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well I can't hate too much; as I still consider Muppet Babies one of the most wonderful things ever put on tv even though I consider it completely separate to the Muppets. I also am in the minority of absolutely loving the short lived Fraggle Rock cartoon. But Im weird, Empire Strikes Back is one of my least favorite Star Wars films while Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are my two favorites.
    scottishpiggy likes this.
  7. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

I agree with everything youre saying. Whats more, miss piggy is just....weird.
  8. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

thats obviously disney making a connection that this is a kids movie. They want it to be a hit so are sticking to a form that works. I never did believe disney cared about the muppets - only the cash they could make from them. WHich is sad :(
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know, right? I don't understand how anyone sees a pretty-looking Piggy in that picture. I still think she looks a little bit better in my doctored version, but some people can't tell the difference.
    [​IMG]
  10. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Please stop picking on the puppet designs. It's depressing and annoying.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

You have been reported because this behavior has persisted years after you've been asked to stop! :sigh:

Dude, stop trying to censor the posts of others. This sort of trolling is childish, irritating and borderlines on harassment! That is depressing and annoying. Criticisms like the one I made in this thread are part of what Muppet Central has been about since 1998! :attitude:

My comments don't mean that I don't support the Muppets or the poster. On the contrary, I love the Muppets a lot and have shown it through years of fan art and legit work celebrating the characters! :flirt:

I offered some positive remarks earlier in the thread, but I maintain that the Miss Piggy they used looks strange. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are. This is a fan forum where we discuss the things we like AND the things we don't. It is your right to ignore the posts, offer a counter-point or leave if you can't handle conversation on the forum. :grr:
  12. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

gotta admit i was one of the few who couldnt tell the difference in your poster fix up , till you pointed it out

but now i see the differnece and your piggy looks 100 times better
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It's a small tweak, but I believe that subtlety in design is one of the things that distinguishes the Muppets' quality above all else. She looks stretched out and kind of heavy in the cheeks there. It's kind of weird that the others look so good while the main pig looks a little off.
  14. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

Duke, seriously, if you really think it's depressing and annoying keep it to yourself and ignore it. The members of MC Forums have a right to state their opinions and discuss issues they see. This is a place where discussion is encouraged and NOBODY should try to tall another member what they can or can't post just becuase of your own personal views. Therefore, I do agree with Frogboy's decision to report you.

Anyways, I do somewhat like the poster, but it could've been done a little better. Some of the characters are out of proportion. I do hope the other posters that come out look great and I'm confident they will.
  15. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

exactly so when you first posted it i wasnt thinking small but big and completely missed what you did
  16. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

yeah i can see how youve lengthened her face, or at least reduced the cheek size- the altered version looks more like piggy, well done :)
    frogboy4 likes this.
  17. Drtooth

I'm going to experiment with this poster too.... I think I just realized something...

Her face is slightly thinner, and her eye is at a slightly different angle? That it? it is subtle and I had to give it the unfocused eye test, but it does look better overall.
  18. Drtooth

Okay... here's my fixed up concept... the "Less is more"
    [​IMG]
    Not extremely professional, took me minutes to do, couldn't think of a clever text, but now the characters look a lot less flat, and they seem to pop better. Bunsen, Teeth, Beaker, and especially Statler and Waldorf just cluttered up the composition, and looked pasted in... Animal has some depth to him, but not much... and in retrospect, I would have placed Walter next to Kermit at the top, behind the logo...

But I think I found the problem in those removed characters. The forced shadow and lack of depth in their placement made the poster clunkier than it should be. At least they managed to keep scale to an extent... I'd hate to see any more Muppet photoshop compilations that look like the 40th anniversary book cover...

[​IMG]
    Ah yes! Good old 6 foot tall Cookie Monster and 6 inch tall Herry Monster. And Roosevelt Franklin's head is the size of Grover's nose.
    frogboy4 likes this.
  19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

People at Sesame Workshop and Disney need some serious Photoshop basic lessons. Srzly.

also I'm glad they've kept Miss Piggy a bigger woman. There's virtual no representation of non skinny actresses or celebrity women in America, even though a large portion of women in America are bigger.
  20. Drtooth

I've brought this topic up before and I get the general fan consensus that NO ONE likes Muppets and Photoshop together. Sadly, the movie poster is one of the GOOD ones. Relatively, that is... Too many times they shove too many characters into too many posters and puzzles. I don't care if Angus MacGonacle is in a poster that he wasn't in before, nor do I want anachronistic Piggy heads superimposed on her body. I find that Sesame Street book cover the worst case. Cookie Monster looks like he's about to devourer Tokyo.

She'd look absolutely horrible if she was done differently. I mean, Pigs aren't exactly svelt... even Spamala and Hasslehog were kinda stubby.