Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno... I remember Bloopy's Buddies (a PERFECT waste of the great Johnathan Winters's talent) and Dudley the Dragon... at least with Dudley, the suit looked like it took a measurable effort... everything else I can't even remember because it left so little of an impression.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's also Dooley and Pals (A "Children's Ministry" version with shoehorned in bible lessons at the end currently airs on some Christian digital subchannel) and The Reppies (another Christian-turned-secular show).

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Honestly, given the choice between watching an episode of that purple prehistoric nightmare and test patterns...there's no contest. I'd much rather watch the test patterns.

For those who haven't seen it, Caroll Spinney gives some excellent advice at the end of this clip. I think everyone young and old should follow it. It makes perfect sense for anyone with common sense. Just listen what he says on the stoop with Telly (while they're saying goodbye):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCpQW-k9sdw

God Bless Mr. Spinney for saying that.:wisdom:

Convincing John
While I understand that kids shouldn't be talked down, there has got to be a bit of a limit at what Kids can learn, becaused I feel that some of the recent Sesame Street shows have subjects that are a bit too advance for the average kid to learn. :frown:

I mean is there a reson for a kide ot learn about the different Rocks in the world or even the types of Birds that you see around the street ?

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Depends, they have an obligation to cater for all audiences I guess. As part of that I assumed that the gifted kid is given as much priority as a kid who isn't the smartest cookie in the jar, so a mix of content level is needed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I understand that kids shouldn't be talked down, there has got to be a bit of a limit at what Kids can learn, becaused I feel that some of the recent Sesame Street shows have subjects that are a bit too advance for the average kid to learn. :frown:

I mean is there a reson for a kide ot learn about the different Rocks in the world or even the types of Birds that you see around the street ?
What bugs me about the new episodes is they FEEL they need to teach everything under the sun in the 50 minutes they have. Initiatives are rammed down kid's throats (nature and health were done the worst) and there's only slight asides about letters and numbers. Way I see it, Sesame Street has ALWAYS taught a wide array of subjects, but things varied from episode to episode. The thing I hate about the nature initiative is the constant repetitive "animals are different and yet the same" guessing game type episodes. They're repetitive... and when the game player is Elmo, the show is VERY dull... the bird watching episode this season especially.

I like how they're doing basic multiplication now, actually... and in such a subtle "counting by" way. But other than that, it's nice they want to talk about nature.. just don't make 90% of the episodes a season exactly the same with different subjects to teach things oddly specific things, especially when math and reading are just as, if not more, important.

Redsonga

Reaction score
More human and muppet interaction would be nice..and it would be nice to see the 'taking a trip with the human adults and children' story arcs return for this generation to :big_grin:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
More human and muppet interaction would be nice..and it would be nice to see the 'taking a trip with the human adults and children' story arcs return for this generation to :big_grin:.
Maybe it's budgetary reasons, but I haven't seen them get out of the street and go to another location (real or fictitious) in years. Closest thing was a couple years ago when they went to Mother Goose's Nursery School or Kindergarten or whatever it was. And that really seemed like it was a set up for a series of episodes and nothing came out of it. Or that episode where Chris and Elmo went camping... even then, it was sitting in one area.

If only they did something that WASN'T a bunch of nature "This is this and that is that" or Guessing game plot lines and did something exciting outside of their little street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True enough, I mean, we didn't even get to actually see the actual trip of Gina going to Guatemala to adopt Marco back in Season 37... of course then again, that entire season was a disappointment: they made all that hype about Abby being added to the Muppet cast, then she only appeared in 3 out of the 26 episodes, and one of those episodes, she basically just popped in and out, while the plot really had nothing to do with her.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I think the show needs to bring back the classic clips from way back in the 70s, 80s and maybe early 90s. I also think the street scenes need to be longer and at least last the whole hour. I do think Elmo's World needs to go, I used to watch it, not anymore! The show needs to make room for something else. I respect Kevin Clash as a performer, but I think he needs to expand a little bit more with other characters other than Elmo (I kinda have a love-hate thing with him. I don't like him, but I don't hate him)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the show needs to bring back the classic clips from way back in the 70s, 80s and maybe early 90s.
They might as well. I mean I get that Elmo's World is popular, but besides that the show is really starting to lack in content.