Wild Thornberries DVD (interesting development)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I mean like with these CN Hall of Fame releases: Johnny Bravo got special features for one reason, and one reason only... Seth MacFarlane. The other releases got bupkus. Dexter was a bigger hit than JB, you'd think that would've had at least an interview with Genndy Tartakovski or something.

Did you actually buy or see that? Seth had ONE special feature, and it was archival recording of the song he wrote for one episode. He had NOTHING to do with the release otherwise, he was mentioned in passing in the commentary, but he wasn't involved at all.

Butch Hartman, Jeff Bennet, Van Partible and a few others were interviewed and did commentary, Seth only had that archival thing.

No, the culprit is WB's cheapness. These special features cost extra money... money they refuse to spend. The Batman Brave and the Bold DVD sets have NO special features, neither did Tiny Toons volume 2 (when the other at LEAST had an interview with the writers)... I mean, literally nothing. Dexter and Courage were "oh well, at least it's something" type releases, Dexter horridly cut to avoid scarey episodes that 90 year old prudes may get offended by (but, of course, not the collectors with money who want to BUY the things). Did the Courage one even have the WAC that the show was based off of?

That's why I only bothered with the JB release. Lack of special features translates to lack of care. No wonder why they discontinued the CN Legends line as soon as it started. WB does NOT know how to release DVD's people will actually buy... unless it's some lame current sitcom.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did the Courage one even have the WAC that the show was based off of?
No, and I doubt any other CN show that might ever be released on DVD like Cow and Chicken would either... I've noticed that if the series doesn't somehow incorporate the original WACs into an actual episode (ala JB cobbling together the original WAC, the sequel WAC with the Amazon tribe, and that Jungle Boy WAC into a half-hour episode, likewise, much of Seaosn One of Dexter was composed of the original WACs as well as some of the Monkey WACs), then the WAC versions tend to be obscured. Heck, I remember after series were created, only seeing the respect C&C and Courage WACs at least ONCE: the C&C WAC was actually last broadcasted the weekend the banned "Buffalo Gals" was actually broadcasted, and the only time "The Chicken from Outer Space" was broadcasted since the inception of the Courage series was during a Cartoon Cartoon Weekend event sometime in 2002 or 2003 I believe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah.

Somehow I get the impression they intended to do more for the other releases, but when they saw how much it cost to get all that good stuff into, they got cheap and just gave us crappy bare bones that we have to be eternally grateful for.

Actually, I remember watching a commentary track for the Space Ghost Coast to Coast DVD I got, and they basically paid everyone who recorded commentary (even a couple of the guests that came back in) with CN merchandise and Ed Edd n Eddy hats.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got an EEE hat off eBay years ago, lol.

Well, before the CN Hall of Fame releases, those first two season sets of EEE DID have plenty of special features, including interviews with Danny Antonucci, Scott "Diggs" Underwood teaching how to draw Ed and Eddy, various of those weird post-2004 promos and bumpers and such, the music videos of "My Best Friend Plank"
and "I'm Not Co,in' In Anymore", etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta track down those EEE season sets. Still, it was one of their most popular shiows, you think they'd've given it another chance.

I loved the almost completest stuff the PPG series set came with. I especially liked the documentary. That's the kind of special feature I love BTS documentaries.

JB had one, Courage and Dexter deserved one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for WB to release the other seasons (they stopped after 2, we still have the other three and a partial, plus the finale movie).

But yes, certainly Dexter, since it was CN's first smash hit, and again, at least an interview with Genndy would've been sufficient, not only because he created Dexter, but he's a frequent contributor to CN, what with Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, and also practically co-creating PPG.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But yes, certainly Dexter, since it was CN's first smash hit, and again, at least an interview with Genndy would've been sufficient, not only because he created Dexter, but he's a frequent contributor to CN, what with Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, and also practically co-creating PPG.
Considering what happened with Symbiotic Titan, I'd be surprised if he would WANT to do an interview with them now.

But yeah. WB sub-licensed Captain Planet to Shout....

just putting that out there...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rocko's Modern Life season 2 announced.

But there IS some interesting news. Joe Murray has blogged about how they're trying to get special features on this second season, and he will be more involved with this one... at least to the extent of providing artwork. HOPEFULLY someone can get them to release the rest of the show uncut.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's a fix!

And I hope more effort is put into restoring the episodes as well, as that was one of my minor quibbles with Season One how it's obvious they put no effort into restoring the episodes (that, and the episodes were out of order).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still wanna get season one, but the fact that some of it is edited is bogus. Though I bet that was Nick's fault. I wonder if it also has something to do with them getting only the edited Masters.

Masters bug me. Quite a bit of the time, we get masters that are somehow screwed up. I was VERY unhappy with Lionsgate, getting terrible masters for the TMNT seasons... some had terrible artifacts that look like they came from videos that were stored in a moldy basement. Some episodes looked as if I got a bootlegged copy made off of someone's old terrible taped off TV VHS.

Hopefully everything will be fixed next set. I know Shout had to postpone something (I think it was one of the Japanese Transformer anime sets they released) almost indefinitely because of problems with getting higher quality masters.