The Muppet Show - Zoot Endings

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
General
-------
Each Muppet Show exists in two different edits: the 'domestic', which has left-hand end credits, and is the version aired in the UK; and the 'foreign', which has centered credits and (generally) is the version produced for non-UK sales.
Can you please upload a screenshot of the ITC Beaker shot?

Season 1
--------
Domestic edits end with the 'clean' orchestra shot followed by a shot of Zoot with the ATV logo and copyright superimposed.

Of the foreign edits, the first seven shows end on the orchestra shot with the ATV logo and copyright followed by Zoot with the ITC logo/copyright . The remaining shows omit the ATV copyright.

The sole exception is the Kaye Ballard show, which ends with a shot of Nigel and Rowlf in the orchestra pit. The foreign edit supers both ATV and ITC logos over this shot. Presumably the domestic edit is similar but just used the ATV logo; I don't have a copy to check this.

Season 2
--------
Domestic: I have no tapes to check, but it seems likely that it is the same as the Season 1 ending.

Foreign: the orchestra shot is now almost invariably clean, and the ITC logo/copyright appear over Zoot as before. The ITC graphic has altered and now includes a small ATV logo as well.

There are no specially shot endings to my knowledge, but at least one show - Bob Hope - has the ITC graphic supered over the orchestra shot as well as the Zoot shot.

Season 3
--------
Domestic: as before, a clean orchestra shot followed by Zoot with the ATV logo and copyright. (Obscurely, at least one show - Spike Milligan - has an ITC copyright under the ATV logo.)

Foreign: usually a clean orchestra shot followed by Zoot with the usual ITC logo. An exception is the Leo Sayer show, where the ITC graphic is supered over the orchestra shot as well.

There are three specially shot endings this season: Loretta Lynn, Harry Belafonte, and Roger Miller.

Season 4
--------
Domestic: probably the same as Season 3; I have no tapes to check.

Foreign: the same as Season 3.

There is one known exception: the Dudley Moore show.

Season 5
--------
Domestic: clean orchestra shot followed by the same Zoot shot as for Seasons 3/4.

Foreign: as for the domestic, but with ITC logo/copyright rather than ATV.

One exception: the Mac Davis show.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
When you say you have the originals...?
If the clip of the original Dutch publisher is in front of the main menu.
I wasn't able yet to take the screen caps. I'll do it as soon as I can. And I've got the 3rd and 2nd season also. Any requests?

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
If the clip of the original Dutch publisher is in front of the main menu.
I wasn't able yet to take the screen caps. I'll do it as soon as I can. And I've got the 3rd and 2nd season also. Any requests?
Yes. Can you please upload the ITC closing shots from the episodes with Harry Belafonte and Roger Miller?

ZootSaxPlayer

Reaction score
Can't ANYBODY upload the ITC screenshots from the episodes with Harry Belafonte, Roger Miller, Dudley Moore, and Mac Davis?!

anathema

Reaction score
Not if they don't have them, no...

So far as I know, these shots have not been seen since the early 80s when Henson acquired the rights to the show from ATV and changed the copyright graphics. The only reason the original ending from the Kaye Ballard show has surfaced again is because I obtained a Betamax 'viewing copy' of a number of shows which was made back in the 70s/early 80s. Sadly it did not include any of the other episodes we're looking for.

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
For the Ben Vereen episode, for all versions, except for the Jim Henson Productions/Television logo, the smoke effect would clear to a black background.
I see, a stock explosion/smoke effect composited over the "generic" replacement Zoot ending.

Here's an idea for an alternate sign-off: Loretta Lynn: Zoot's sax makes a diesel locomotive horn sound (a little rail buff humor there--Gonzo's trumpet made the sound of a steam locomotive whistle so why not?).

Okay, my eyes might be fooling me, but I was watching the Kaye Ballard episode on the Season 1 DVD set, and I thought I saw a VERY brief glimpse of the original ATV logo (blink and you'll miss it) JUST before the cut to the shot of the musicians backstage happens. I did not have the chance to watch the scene frame by frame, can someone confirm this for me?

David French

Reaction score
The sole exception is the Kaye Ballard show, which ends with a shot of Nigel and Rowlf in the orchestra pit. The foreign edit supers both ATV and ITC logos over this shot. Presumably the domestic edit is similar but just used the ATV logo; I don't have a copy to check this.
I have a copy and while I can't do proper screen caps I will take a digital photo off the TV screen and post it.

Here's the foreign edit of the Mummenschanz episode on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcW9tKnqwRs

Here's the domestic edit of the Candice Bergen episode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu4jH0Ts3aY
Season 4
--------
Domestic: probably the same as Season 3; I have no tapes to check.
Parts of the Liza Minelli and Gene Kelly episodes with the UK credits have been posted on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1bWctxb_6Y