Cartoon all stars to the rescue.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Which is why I prefer the fun, eco-friendly Toxic Crusaders to the uberpreachy, obnoxious Captain Planet. I swear, Captain Planet produced a generation of kids who grew up to think recycling was hippy crap and side with the gas powered "Global Warming is a Myth" types. Being overly preachy about something is the PERFECT way to get everyone against your message.
It just feels like because some people got it wrong, the result has been that we're not even trying anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It just feels like because some people got it wrong, the result has been that we're not even trying anymore.

That's called hopelessness... and honestly, Captain Planet went on WEIRD tangents when Turner broadcasting took it over. But then again, I'm a dyed in the wool Toxic Crusaders fan that really wishes the show hit it bigger than it did. The horrendous Nintendo and even worse Genesis game didn't help. TC took the role of educating kids about the environment and made it fun without sounding whiny, hippie dippy, or like an obnoxious call to, like, adding 10% more effort into your lives. Captain Planet didn't. But again, biased... I'm VERY biased. TC just came off a TMNT ripoff considering the same animation studio and the same toy company was behind it... but come on... any excuse to make a kid's show based on an R rated cult film with excessive violence. We ALMOST got Kabukiman too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SCQwfYCND8

Eh... now I'm just going off a fanboyish rant...

But the best way to get your message across is with a "come on, be cool..." and not a "DO IT OR ELSE BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!!! YEEAAAAHHH!!!"

robodog

Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one who liked Toxic Crusaders.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That show was frightfully underrated. I loved the toys. And they were much more organically demented than those lame mutants they had to add to the TMNT line. The show had a very sharp wit and unfortunately, that went very underappreciated. I even have the Toxic Crusaders Marvel Comics issue where they parody Captain Planet.

robodog

Reaction score
The Genesis game was pretty good too. I borrowed it from a friend once. Too bad I could never find a copy of my own.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I remember Cartoon All Stars quite well, as I saw it many times when I was a kid. The smog guy always reminded me of James Woods. Is it just me, or were the cartoon characters being a bit aggressive? It seems pretty bad looking back. I don't think kids and/or young adults react well to preachy PSAs; it just makes doing drugs seem all the more bada$$ to them. Unfortunately, there's no easy answer or quick fix when it comes to drug addiction prevention. I saw the special numerous times and don't do drugs, so maybe it left an impression on me, though it's hard to say for sure.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think kids and/or young adults react well to preachy PSAs
Well watching it now I don't think it's that preachy, just blunt. I like how they say everyone has problems but you have to believe in yourself and not turn to easy answers like drugs.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sometimes we all need some inculcation and loving admonition. It is certainly blunt, but it gets the message across quite clearly. It may not be the best approach for everyone, certainly, but I think at least some kids respond to it.

Yorick

Reaction score
Trying to send a positive message is, of course, not a bad thing. Being hokey, disingenuous, preachy, and obnoxious about it is what most people have a problem with.
That's why I said, "whether preachy or not" to make the point that it's better to try to help (which they did) than do nothing, which TV does now. And I still say TV does nothing now simply because it's not "cool"...not because Cartoon All Stars gets a bad rap. There were so many things of this nature years ago (not just about the danger of drugs - all sorts of topics). Of course, some better than others, but I never could hold much of a grudge against some less-than-great features of something when it's heart was in the right place. Or when it had some heart, period. I'm more angry (for lack of a better word) with shows that lack heart - not that everything needs that quality - I love Invader Zim, for example - but there's such a shortage now in "giving a hoot" that I can't help but speak in support of something like Cartoon All Stars. But hey, we can't all agree on everything, and that's a good thing.:big_grin: