The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
This isn't exactly a "headline" - but I do think it's important, especially with all the talk around here that the movie is not "doing well." The Muppets has now made (as of this writing) $67,473,645, according to Box Office Mojo. Here are the lifetime grosses of the previous Muppet movies:

The Muppet Movie - $65,200,000
The Great Muppet Caper - $31,206,251
The Muppets Take Manhattan - $25,534,703
The Muppet Christmas Carol - $27,281,507
Muppet Treasure Island - $34,327,391
Muppets from Space - $16,625,807

This, to me, is pretty big news. We're in the third full week of theaters, and yes, the numbers are going down - as ALL movies tend to do - but this movie is absolutely a success. It's made back its budget, it's made more than the previous Muppet movies (not adjusted for inflation), and best of all, Disney is happy with it and stated that they are figuring out where to continue.

So, let's raise a glass to The Muppets - and keep making it as much money as we can! :smile:

Puckrox

Reaction score
I can't say I'm surprised it's done this well. With all the advertising and hype, it was bound to make a huge comeback. I'm ecstatic about this. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Top grossing if you don't adjust for inflation. But even then, it's the third highest grossing domestically.

It's not so much the film didn't do well, it's the fact that movies in general the last 2 weeks haven't. We've got 67 Mil... which isn't bad, but I really think it should have topped 80 by now. But that's because of two slow movie weeks.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
It's not so much the film didn't do well, it's the fact that movies in general the last 2 weeks haven't. We've got 67 Mil... which isn't bad, but I really think it should have topped 80 by now. But that's because of two slow movie weeks.
There's no reason to think we can't do $80 mil by the New Year. However, and I'm willing to bet this - this could be the first Muppet movie that makes $100 million when all's said and done. It still hasn't seen release in the UK, which is going to end up counting for a lot.

zns

Reaction score
"Life like a movie" so to speak. :smile::embarrassed::concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's no reason to think we can't do $80 mil by the New Year. However, and I'm willing to bet this - this could be the first Muppet movie that makes $100 million when all's said and done. It still hasn't seen release in the UK, which is going to end up counting for a lot.
Domestically.

Unfortunately, we don't know of the international gross for all those other films according to Muppet Wikia[/URL]

It will definitely make a lot of money once it hits the key internationals, but the unfortunate (yet understandable) slowness of the box office, not to mention the nonstop blockbuster Summer type films coming out the next couple weeks pretty much finished off the domestics. But on the bright side, so many movies coming out at once, I doubt most of them will make budget that easily. Some movies look like they deserve it more than others... I'm wondering how TinTin is going to fair against the others. Sherlock Holmes too.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Domestically.

Unfortunately, we don't know of the international gross for all those other films according to Muppet Wikia[/URL]

It will definitely make a lot of money once it hits the key internationals, but the unfortunate (yet understandable) slowness of the box office, not to mention the nonstop blockbuster Summer type films coming out the next couple weeks pretty much finished off the domestics. But on the bright side, so many movies coming out at once, I doubt most of them will make budget that easily. Some movies look like they deserve it more than others... I'm wondering how TinTin is going to fair against the others. Sherlock Holmes too.
Tintin is already doing quite well - made back its entire budget already before being released over here. No surprise, as he's a beloved character in the UK.

Also, I'm confused as to which part of that paragraph you were referring to with "Domestically."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tintin is already doing quite well - made back its entire budget already before being released over here. No surprise, as he's a beloved character in the UK.

Also, I'm confused as to which part of that paragraph you were referring to with "Domestically."
Muppet Wikia only has domestic sales of the movies figured in their calculations. Internationally, it made just a bit more, but it was only released in Mexico and Brazil so far.

TinTin is huge in Europe... not so much here. It's by far the more popular of the Eurocomics (technically the most popular would be the Smurfs, but I get the feeling people here only know of the cartoon series and figure its an 80's thing). It is getting large buzz as a movie and it may just do quite well (It's the movie I was second most juiced to see this year). I see the comics hitting more retailers (I have to go to one comic shop for all my Eurocomic needs, though I unfortunately don't have the money to frequent it), and the DVD set of the Nelvana produced cartoon is quite easy to find. I'm sure this will be America's big introduction. I can only hope this leads to Eurocomics being much more well known in the states.

So far, I'm sure everyone thinks Marsupilami was created by the Disney Studios.