Watching FR with Non-Fans

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've only seen clips of that episode, but I loved what I saw, and it made my heart hurt when I saw it. It was just so beautiful.
Do whatever it takes to see it. Seriously. One of the best episodes of the show hands down.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
I watched a few episodes of Fraggle Rock with an ex-girlfriend. Looking back, I probably should have known that the relationship wouldn't last when she went on a tirade about how childish and stupid it was for an adult man to like a kids show (even though she was nearly obsessed with all animated Disney movies, which were apparently okay to enjoy, unlike Fraggle Rock).

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I watched a few episodes of Fraggle Rock with an ex-girlfriend. Looking back, I probably should have known that the relationship wouldn't last when she went on a tirade about how childish and stupid it was for an adult man to like a kids show (even though she was nearly obsessed with all animated Disney movies, which were apparently okay to enjoy, unlike Fraggle Rock).
That's why I didn't date in high school. Being nearly obsessed with SpongeBob was A-OK, Muppets? You've got to be insane! :sigh:

I was watching The Day The Music Died with this guy once and he thought Wembley said "Jigaboo" instead of "Gee, Gobo." Wait... :coy:

Anyway, I got a friend's younger sister to watch "Home Is Where The Trash Is" once just because it was on a tape that happened to be in the VCR. Not the best episode to start with, but she had apprently seen the animated version of school and found the Muppet version to be a total bore. In her defense, she was 9 or 10 at the time and "Home Is Where The Trash Is" isn't a particularly good episode to start with.
There was another time another friend watched "Wembley and the Gorgs" and was instant Pa Gorg said "Leave that crap alone!" instead of "Leave the trap alone!" And then there was our massive in-joke for Ned Shimmelfinny - who we created in The Sims. He wore a viking hat - he was awesome.

Collgoff

Reaction score
why's that?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm very selective with who I watch Muppet stuff with, so I haven't really had any weird reactions as of yet.
That's why I didn't date in high school. Being nearly obsessed with SpongeBob was A-OK, Muppets? You've got to be insane! :sigh:
I see that a lot of people are reluctant to watch not just Fraggle Rock with their friends, but Muppet stuff in general. It's hard to have an interest that doesn't exactly line up with what your age-group or gender is "supposed" to like sometimes. There is a bit of a double standard sometimes for girls versus guys, like my 19 year old cousin can watch Good Luck Charlie and it's funny, but yet my mother told me that I shouldn't wear my Fraggle Rock t-shirt up at school because people will laugh at me. Also, I think it's not perceived as normal for guys to have an emotional reaction or bond to a tv show or movie or something. No one really gets it when I try to explain that Fraggles are all about love or acceptance and that's why the show is so great.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
I see that a lot of people are reluctant to watch not just Fraggle Rock with their friends, but Muppet stuff in general. It's hard to have an interest that doesn't exactly line up with what your age-group or gender is "supposed" to like sometimes. There is a bit of a double standard sometimes for girls versus guys, like my 19 year old cousin can watch Good Luck Charlie and it's funny, but yet my mother told me that I shouldn't wear my Fraggle Rock t-shirt up at school because people will laugh at me. Also, I think it's not perceived as normal for guys to have an emotional reaction or bond to a tv show or movie or something. No one really gets it when I try to explain that Fraggles are all about love or acceptance and that's why the show is so great.
Me thinks you head the nail on the head there. Seems perfectly fine for girls to bond and form an emotional connection with something like a TV show, but not guys. Tis especially hard in high school (mine also had a rampant obsession with Spongebob for some reason). The backback I used was totally decked out in patches, two of which was a fairly good sized Kermit The Frog "head logo" patch and an Animal patch. It was mixed in with various band patches of Marilyn Manson, A Perfect Circle, Danzig, KoRn, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, and H.I.M. as well as a Bigfoot and Beavis And Butt-Head patch. The Kermit one was the last to go on (I saved a spot for it, determined to find one, even though it took me a while to track it down - got the Animal one in the same lot). Almost as soon as I put those two Muppet patches on, I started getting ridiculed, even called a not so nice "F" word (rhymes with maggot) on more than one occassion. It upset me greatly at the time, but the benefit of hindsight has shifted my feelings towards those who placed such ridicule upon me from anger to pity. I truly feel sorry for people who simply don't understand that Fraggle Rock and The Muppets are far more than just a "Kid's Show" and thus must attempt to make those who like them feel inferior in some manner. It's totally okay to not like the shows, but I will never understand why people must put down those who do.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
why's that?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I always supported her love for the Disney movies, even though I didn't particularly care for the majority of them. I even watched most of them with her on more than one occassion. Knowing her love for the Disney movies, I thought she might get a kick out of Fraggle Rock too, so we watched a few episodes (this was before the DVDs came out, but I had almost the whole series on VHS tapes that my parents recorded from HBO). She totally went off on me after about two episodes. Not sure why.

She lit into me about it again the following Christmas when my Parents actually tracked down and got an entire set of Fraggle Rock plush dolls (save for Gobo, whom I found at a garage sale one day while riding through the neighborhood on my bike). I was excited to the max about that, which apparently really irritated the shizzle out of her, so she kinda yelled at me for a good fifteen minutes after that (she apologized some time later, but even back then I could tell she wasn't really sincere about the apology).

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Me thinks you head the nail on the head there. Seems perfectly fine for girls to bond and form an emotional connection with something like a TV show, but not guys. Tis especially hard in high school (mine also had a rampant obsession with Spongebob for some reason). The backback I used was totally decked out in patches, two of which was a fairly good sized Kermit The Frog "head logo" patch and an Animal patch. It was mixed in with various band patches of Marilyn Manson, A Perfect Circle, Danzig, KoRn, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, and H.I.M. as well as a Bigfoot and Beavis And Butt-Head patch. The Kermit one was the last to go on (I saved a spot for it, determined to find one, even though it took me a while to track it down - got the Animal one in the same lot). Almost as soon as I put those two Muppet patches on, I started getting ridiculed, even called a not so nice "F" word (rhymes with maggot) on more than one occassion. It upset me greatly at the time, but the benefit of hindsight has shifted my feelings towards those who placed such ridicule upon me from anger to pity. I truly feel sorry for people who simply don't understand that Fraggle Rock and The Muppets are far more than just a "Kid's Show" and thus must attempt to make those who like them feel inferior in some manner. It's totally okay to not like the shows, but I will never understand why people must put down those who do.
Since you probably don't hang out on the Puppetry forums, you probably don't know about the time I attempted to start a puppetry club in high school. It got the attention of the school's then popular ***** who acted like she was "interested" in the club and later got all her friends involved in her plot on Facebook - which eventually led to me being an outcast in nearly everyone's eyes for the rest of high school. Even my own best friends wouldn't have anything to do with me for a little while. Thankfully, school got a little bit better once she graduated, but the damage was still there. :frown:

Quazimoto

Reaction score
Since you probably don't hang out on the Puppetry forums, you probably don't know about the time I attempted to start a puppetry club in high school. It got the attention of the school's then popular ***** who acted like she was "interested" in the club and later got all her friends involved in her plot on Facebook - which eventually led to me being an outcast in nearly everyone's eyes for the rest of high school. Even my own best friends wouldn't have anything to do with me for a little while. Thankfully, school got a little bit better once she graduated, but the damage was still there. :frown:
That sucks big time... For what it's worth though, I do kinda know how it feels. I was the textbook definition of an outcast throughout high school. It was only during the last half of my senior year that that changed even slightly. Even then, the only people I hung out with were those who knew me exclusively through the aforementioned ex-girlfriend. It's rough being ostrisized for something you truly love.

Collgoff

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell you. I always supported her love for the Disney movies, even though I didn't particularly care for the majority of them. I even watched most of them with her on more than one occassion. Knowing her love for the Disney movies, I thought she might get a kick out of Fraggle Rock too, so we watched a few episodes (this was before the DVDs came out, but I had almost the whole series on VHS tapes that my parents recorded from HBO). She totally went off on me after about two episodes. Not sure why.

She lit into me about it again the following Christmas when my Parents actually tracked down and got an entire set of Fraggle Rock plush dolls (save for Gobo, whom I found at a garage sale one day while riding through the neighborhood on my bike). I was excited to the max about that, which apparently really irritated the shizzle out of her, so she kinda yelled at me for a good fifteen minutes after that (she apologized some time later, but even back then I could tell she wasn't really sincere about the apology).
But why ypu broke up with her?
I mean it must of been quite very sad for you!