Watching FR with Non-Fans

Quazimoto

Reaction score
But why ypu broke up with her?
I mean it must of been quite very sad for you!
Actually, we were together for about a year after that (though I never really mentioned Fraggle Rock or The Muppets to her again). Things finally ended when she broke up with me for some reason (I'm still not entirely sure what that reason was - probably something to do with my lack of money to keep buying her things). I'd later find out that she had cheated on me several times, so twas good riddance to her. Hindsight has shown me that it was never a great relationship to begin with. Really kinda sucks that I've been alone since then, but hey... Better to be alone than with someone who berates you for loving all things Muppets.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
That sucks big time... For what it's worth though, I do kinda know how it feels. I was the textbook definition of an outcast throughout high school. It was only during the last half of my senior year that that changed even slightly. Even then, the only people I hung out with were those who knew me exclusively through the aforementioned ex-girlfriend. It's rough being ostrisized for something you truly love.
It didn't help that what lead to the puppetry club was my high school's production of Little Shop of Horrors that year. The director more or less implied I'd be the body of the plant and then when the cast list came out she gave it to one of the more popular/director's-favorites kids. I was absolutely devastated. As soon as the cast list came out, he was suddenly treated like the best puppeteer ever and I was suddenly second-rate even though he hadn't even gotten the chance to be in any of the plants. Once the show came, he became the most popular guy in school because of it and I was the laughing stock due to the club debacle. It's amazing we even stayed friends after that. (though I could tell he a ton more respect for me after that show)

Interestingly enough, I was treated like a strange person for being obsessed with Little Shop in my early high school years (being in the show made me lose complete interest in that overrated musical). But after the show, everyone was more obsessed with Little Shop than I ever was. Don't feed the plants, indeed, people are such hypocrites.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It didn't help that what lead to the puppetry club was my high school's production of Little Shop of Horrors that year. The director more or less implied I'd be the body of the plant and then when the cast list came out she gave it to one of the more popular/director's-favorites kids. I was absolutely devastated. As soon as the cast list came out, he was suddenly treated like the best puppeteer ever and I was suddenly second-rate even though he hadn't even gotten the chance to be in any of the plants. Once the show came, he became the most popular guy in school because of it and I was the laughing stock due to the club debacle. It's amazing we even stayed friends after that. (though I could tell he a ton more respect for me after that show)
High School drama clubs are always full of nonsense like that. Cliques develop regardless of talent. When I took acting classes later on as an adult it was different. People were worried about making a living and not bragging about their talents. It was quite refreshing actually, lol.

We did Little Shop in High School too but for the plant we hired a puppeteer from the outside who had worked with the Muppets before (and also Star Trek). I was fascinated and talk to him a lot. The others kids weren't nearly as interested which annoyed me. Again, it was all about them and their talent, heh. Don't get me wrong, there were nice people too, but it was just that clique mentality that could get so frustrating.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I truly feel sorry for people who simply don't understand that Fraggle Rock and The Muppets are far more than just a "Kid's Show" and thus must attempt to make those who like them feel inferior in some manner. It's totally okay to not like the shows, but I will never understand why people must put down those who do.
That's a very good point. I just don't see the reason why people feel the need to belittle people for such silly reasons as their personal tastes. I can't say that I've never done that before; certainly in my high school days I was less sensitive and aware of these kinds of things than I am now. But now I know how hurt people can get when you disparage their favorite things because you don't know how important they are to them. Fraggle Rock helped me get through an extremely tough time in my life, and I have an emotional attachment to the show because of that. Now I know not all of my friends and family know that, but it doesn't make it hurt less if they make fun of my watching the show. Even if you don't like something, I think it's important to at least attempt to understand why a person likes it and let them be. For example, my best friend likes reading anime comics. I've never really been interested in that, but I know it's important to him, so I'm not going to say anything about it when he discusses a new comic with me. I think that people should be more willing to respect the tastes of others because sometimes you really don't know how important they are to that person.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's a very good point. I just don't see the reason why people feel the need to belittle people for such silly reasons as their personal tastes.
In my experience people can feel jealous or threatened because you got something out of it that they can't understand.

Scooterfan5

Reaction score
My 10 year old sister will watch the show with me. She seems to enjoy it. My friends are a different story though. They think my obsession with the muppets/fraggle rock is crazy.

Perlezerey8

Reaction score
I actually told my boyfriend that I loved the show Fraggle Rock and he told me he had no idea what it was and I told him I'd show him an episode or two.
So,we watched some episodes from the first season DVD and he really did enjoy it and I'm glad he did.
My best friend almost caught me watching Fraggle Rock during my break at work but I told her was just looking at Muppet videos on Youtube and that was a wrong link. She doesn't like the Muppets a whole lot but she doesn't mind that I love them.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
My 14 year old sister likes the show (to the point she has a plush wembley and a FR Xmas shirt) but only as a "thing" because it's "cute"; unlike the majority of fans here. She has no interest in the inherent meaning of the episodes/characters/cast or production or anything like that. Most people are pretty weirded out to begin with when I mention puppetry as an interest, so that tends to act as a bit of a filter prior to commencing talk of the muppets. I've less than a year left to go until high school is over, and boy will I be glad when I don't have to put up with most of the people I deal with daily.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
High School drama clubs are always full of nonsense like that. Cliques develop regardless of talent. When I took acting classes later on as an adult it was different. People were worried about making a living and not bragging about their talents. It was quite refreshing actually, lol.

We did Little Shop in High School too but for the plant we hired a puppeteer from the outside who had worked with the Muppets before (and also Star Trek). I was fascinated and talk to him a lot. The others kids weren't nearly as interested which annoyed me. Again, it was all about them and their talent, heh. Don't get me wrong, there were nice people too, but it was just that clique mentality that could get so frustrating.
So true. To think in high school I actually tricked myself into thinking I had a future in theater. Little Shop basically cut that off for me. :embarrassed: Granted, I did come back that next school year to do the shows and got much better roles (it was my senior year after all), but that was more because "I made it this far, I might as well do my last two shows." And I have gone back and seen some other shows since then. I might do community theater years from now but I doubt it, my interests change.