Some thoughts on Muppet Treasure Island

Auberoun

Reaction score
I really wish that Scooter could have been in MCC as Scrooge's nephew instead of another actual human. I dunno where he'd be good in MTI.
If he had been Scrooge's nephew in MCC, then it would be almost "mandatory" to make Scrooge into JP Grosse...which wouldn't have been all that bad come to think of it.
I think Scooter would have made a good Jim Hawkins personally.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I watched it for the second time last night, and most of my first impressions were confirmed. I just didn't like that film much. I don't care to see Muppets shoehorned into other characters in a public domain story, playing second bananas to humans. The songs did nothing for me. I actively dislike Fozzie's portrayal as a halfwit or nutcase. And don't get me started on the Kermit's blandness.

There were a few good bits in the movie. Gonzo and Rizzo were great. And why not? They got to be themselves! And I did enjoy playing spot-the-repurposed-puppets.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I really wish that Scooter could have been in MCC as Scrooge's nephew instead of another actual human. I dunno where he'd be good in MTI.
Yeah, there are just so many places where they had an opportunity to put a Muppet in. They blew almost all of them.

Princeton

Reaction score
I don't see how being helpful is out-of-character for Sam. I thought he was helpful... At what he thought was important (making others more dignified and cultural). Sam seemed in character to me.
Sam is the exact opposite of helpful. He represents everything good and normal and continually cites the Muppets as everything he's against. If anything, I'd consider Sam a villain.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched it for the second time last night, and most of my first impressions were confirmed. I just didn't like that film much. I don't care to see Muppets shoehorned into other characters in a public domain story, playing second bananas to humans. The songs did nothing for me. I actively dislike Fozzie's portrayal as a halfwit or nutcase. And don't get me started on the Kermit's blandness.
I feel my biggest problem is Kermit's role in most of the film, and he doesn't really become Kermit-like until the section with Miss Piggy. If there's one thing I strangely prefer over in MCC than MTI is the fact that Kermit's much more like Kermit throughout the film than in MTI. Actually, I feel Kermit comes off even blander for the most part of MFS. But then again, that's really Gonzo's movie.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I actually find Kermit way too blend in MCC. That film may be the reason why I always found him to be a little boring. He has none of the crazy quicky entertaining aspects that he has in all the other movies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sam is the exact opposite of helpful. He represents everything good and normal and continually cites the Muppets as everything he's against. If anything, I'd consider Sam a villain.
I never really saw that. He keeps wanting the Muppets, and perhaps their audience, to be more normal and good, so to him he's doing a good thing. At least in The Muppets he doesn't appear to be unhappy with being with the Muppets again (even if he did get yanked by a hook... But so did Scooter, Crazy Harry, and the Electric Mayhem).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually find Kermit way too blend in MCC. That film may be the reason why I always found him to be a little boring. He has none of the crazy quicky entertaining aspects that he has in all the other movies.
Well, he was more of his sweet self than his wacky self, but he seemed to be a lot more Kermit-y in that role than most of MTI... other than the "WHO HIRED THIS CREW?!!?" and the entire part after they introduce Piggy. But I feel that MFS was one of the worst offenders due to his usage. It really seems that the heart to heart with Gonzo should have been longer and had more depth to it... he had some notes of his wackier self during the second half of that movie, but he seems lost for most of it. Seems that it's such a Gonzo heavy movie that all the other characters are secondary. Though Fozzie's "Mama told me to always wash my hands...no exceptions" bit was precious.

Princeton

Reaction score
I never really saw that. He keeps wanting the Muppets, and perhaps their audience, to be more normal and good, so to him he's doing a good thing.
You're proving my point. Most villains think they're doing good, even if it ends up harming the heroes.

Alvin

Reaction score
Best part of this movie I think was when they found Piggy...love the drum song...Boom shakala ka!