Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Youd think a company would want to buck the trend and do something different. Like Coraline...sure it didnt make a massive amount, but it was very unique.
Good movie but I would argue they felt safe with it because Tim Burton's darker works were already popular.

The main thing for the studios is "are you just coming off a success?" The Muppets weren't at the time. Now they are and now maybe things can be different.

Disney releases Studio Ghibli films, which are completely different than anything out in the modern period. Disney knows it's mostly adults into the Muppets, so perhaps they should just accept it and target that demographic instead of trying to kiddify things. Pirates is aimed at teens to young adults, so Disney covers different ages.
Sounds like the same problem Labyrinth might have had. Who is the audience?

My skin crawls when I see trailers for Garfield, Alvin, Smurfs, G-Force(and I love guinea pigs), Cat and Sogs, Hop, or 90% of most cgi kids films
Keeping that in mind, we are lucky The Muppets (2011) was as good as it was. Its only questionable joke was thankfully brief, lol.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmmm...I could totally see a movie with them as some sort of office workers down on their luck (but NOT a parody of The Office). Something like that, where they are in the real world, with their own names and personalities, but not a story matching their 'real lives', would be perfect to me.

As long as there is a bit of "duck pond" style forth wall breaking to let the audience know that they are playing parts in a movie.

After the last movie someone said to me, "I didn't realize that Kermit and Piggy were married..." And I tried to explain that they kinda are and kinda arn't depending what movie you watch, but they didn't quite get it. I wouldn't want to see the next movie be something that could be connected to the previous movie as a direct sequel (for example, if they were to make a movie about putting on a show or making a movie.)

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, i'm not for another period piece either. i want it in the modern day, with them as themselves

i don't see what's wrong with having a movie about them making a movie or show. that doesn't necessarily have to be a direct sequel (although it could)

that's an interesting point about the piggy/kermit thing. every single person i talked to who saw the movie thought they were married as well. some even figured they got divorced. that was pretty unclear

Beauregard

Reaction score
yeah, i'm not for another period piece either. i want it in the modern day, with them as themselves
I would take a period piece if it was done well.

But I'd prefer modern day. Something that we can really connect to.

I'd love to see them make an Electric Mayhem Mockumentary sometime -- even if its just a tv-special rather than a movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
After the last movie someone said to me, "I didn't realize that Kermit and Piggy were married..." And I tried to explain that they kinda are and kinda arn't depending what movie you watch, but they didn't quite get it.
Understandable, lol. For the record, while I am a proud member of the "Kermit and Piggy are married" team, I have no problem with them seeming to be unmarried in a future project. It is just a movie after all, hehe.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Understandable, lol. For the record, while I am a proud member of the "Kermit and Piggy are married" team, I have no problem with them seeming to be unmarried in a future project. It is just a movie after all, hehe.
I'm totally in your team! But what they didn't understand was that there was a loose canon (pun) to the whole thing and that The Muppets were character actors and entertainers...rather than a series of connected movies (Chipmunks or Pirates of the Caribbean)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm totally in your team!
Yay! Somebody's....already gotten married! :smile: :mad:

But what they didn't understand was that there was a loose canon (pun) to the whole thing and that The Muppets were character actors and entertainers...rather than a series of connected movies (Chipmunks or Pirates of the Caribbean)
Yeah I saw that from the fans on IMDB. They liked the Muppets but were not necessarily hardcore fans so a lot of them were asking canon questions that no one could really answer, lol.

Walter

Reaction score
1. Aint it Cool News, the #1 movie site that has championed the Muppets every step of their way, is getting their own Muppets show on youtube, starring a Muppety version of Harry Knowles http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54062

2. Jason Segal went on record today saying that he did what he needed to do. To get the ball rolling. To plant the flag of the Muppets in the modern era. Mission accomplished I say.

3. But it's time to bring the Muppets BACK to their non glossy, non ADHD/kiddified
independent film spirit.

These two amazing deleted scenes from the upcoming blu ray release SHOW what could have been...but what COULD be with the next film.

These have a completely different, more real feeling to them. And are just really amazing little scenes in my opinion
Those scenes do feel very Muppety! It's a shame the jail scene was cut, it reminded me of MTM tone wise, and it also had a funny line too..

"You've been bailed out by this weird kid" LOL

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppets work best juxtaposed to real people and/or the real world. The absurdity is where the funny is. Their reactions and commentaries are priceless. Charles Grodin is the perfect example of good casting to balance the Muppets' craziness. It would be fantastic if they hired him as the villain for the next film even though it isn't very likely.