Any Bronies on here?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of "Dan Vs.", but I wouldn't mind seeing more; it's not On Demand very often. It's a pretty fine show, but I do recall not liking some of the jokes in the Burgerphile episode (basically the running gag of the manager getting sent back somewhere, I don't recall where, but it was like Maine or Boston or something).
Coincidentally I thought that one was the worst episode

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Coincidentally I thought that one was the worst episode
I've seen about 3 or 4 of them, so I can't really judge. I kinda hope the more I see, the more I'd like the Dan character. I despise characters who do the completely wrong thing and get no comeuppance for it (i.e CARTMAN). But, Dan is always right in the episodes I've seen, so I don't know if he's ever been wrong yet.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've seen about 3 or 4 of them, so I can't really judge. I kinda hope the more I see, the more I'd like the Dan character. I despise characters who do the completely wrong thing and get no comeuppance for it (i.e CARTMAN). But, Dan is always right in the episodes I've seen, so I don't know if he's ever been wrong yet.
Be on the lookout for The Monster Under the Bed episode then. It also has a nice jab at all the weird Dan and Chris pairings on DeviantArt XD

kyunkyua

Reaction score
*points to avatar* What do YOU think?
I haven't been watching it lately, though. It's kinda hard when Boomerang only shows it at 7 AM and the Slingbox sucks up all the internet bandwidth. But I still collect the toys religiously. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's always the way. Take an oppressed minority and make them ten times better than the group to make up for past prejudices. And it's almost always a bad idea because audiences just end up resenting that character for being too perfect.
If you look at any given super hero show about a super hero team, there's always a good amount of strong female characters there. X-Men had Storm, Jean Grey, Rouge, Jubilee... all organic characters with organic flaws. Believable ones. Even in other incarnations of the show. Very strong females. Same thing with Teen Titans and Young Justice... any time there's a woman in a super hero team, they're very strongly written characters.

Even both TMNT incarnations with that tough April O'Neil. As a reporter and as a scientist (I kinda like science April better). Though I will say the 80's cartoon had her as a damsel in distress a little often, she's much more of a fighter in the newer series.

I don't think I need to say Sally Acorn or Bunnie Rabbot from SatAm Sonic. Sonic X's Amy, however, falls into a culture thing about Japanese Housewife-ness that i don't want to go into... but Sally was a very strong character, still is to this day in the comics...(SPOILER for comic you probably won't read) until Eggman robotisized her...

But with cartoons specifically for girls, picking out a positive role model is a contest to pick the one with the most personality in a field of bland, one note-ness. It's so hypocritical to have strong women in guy's shows and weak little personality devoid fashionistas and cute things that don't actually do anything.

it kinda irritates me that everyone is all "PONIEEESSSS!!!" and yet people cry and whine about how there aren't any good cartoons, yet Dan Vs compares to a lot of shows from the 90s and manages to be funny without pointless gross out humor. It makes me scratch my head as to why there aren't more fans. But this thread is about ponies and not my bitterness that Dan Vs isn't more popular
Watching 90% of my cartoons on Youtube, nothing gets on my nerves half as much as "Oooh all kartoonz now iz teh stupit." Trust your local failed animator who spent money he'll never be able to pay off in college studying the stuff. What makes a cartoon bad should be universal. Everything I see is matter of taste. I do complain about a lot of things, but I'm very open minded to cartoon series and animations. The only "bad" I see currently are those preschool shows where they sit around answering their own questions. Regular Show and Adventure Time are matter of taste. I'm not liking Fish Hooks at all, though... I guess it's for little kids or something. I will say everyone hated Allen Gregory... that show was just terrible in all counts, and I could give a review, but I don't wanna. But I've seen truly terrible stuff from every decade and heard horror stories of the 70's (sitcom ripoffs, Scooby rip offs and Archie Ripoffs... oh my!) and there isn't any cartoon on today (at least for the 6-11 market) that makes me question humanity. I'm starting to think it's a quantity issue. We're actually getting less cartoons, so law of averages, we're getting less bad cartoons.

I mean, the 90's gave us great classics that changed the medium forever, and we take it all for granted. Ren and Stimpy, Animaniacs, The Simpsons, Batman TAS... but it also gave us a lot of terrible movie adaptions (Free Willy? You kidding?) and almost so bad they're funny TMNT ripoffs (Stone Protectors anyone?). Not to mention a kiddified cartoon based on a 14+ rated video game (guess which one).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was recently schooled by a Bronie. At first I'd thought he was pulling my leg, but yes - there are a lot of fellas (most hetero, some otherwise) who enjoy MLP enough to have conventions and I think that's a great thing. I don't find it personally appealing. Heck, personally I don't find the animation quality or shrill voices of the Muppet Babies particularly appealing, but apparently both programs strike at a nostalgia and innocence lacking in much of today's entertainment. MLP also has some humor for grown-ups that include Big Lebowski references and whatnot. I'm certain quality writing and animation are present with Faust behind the scenes of this recent relaunch.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was recently schooled by a Bronie. At first I'd thought he was pulling my leg, but yes - there are a lot of fellas (most hetero, some otherwise) who enjoy MLP enough to have conventions and I think that's a great thing.
You know... other than the fact half of it being a meme is because it's weird that 20+ something grown men are watching a little girl's show, it's nice to see that girl's programming is coming such a long way that guys like it too. Other than that big whole thing about the problems with girl cartoons, the big shock was that every girl I knew grew up watching the NOT girls' stuff like TMNT and Transformers. Though I know quite a few dedicated girls that woke up on 6:30 Sunday Mornings to watch the crummy dub of Sailor Moon. I hate gender segregation in animation and children's toys. Especially since there are so many things that are gender neutral like Spongebob and Fairly OddParents.

You know, some one caught me watching the Mad parody episode "My Little Warhorse" and accused me of watching the real show... then I pointed out TinTin's appearance. I wonder how accurate that parody was. Even the Ponies looked pretty much the same, and they ruthlessly stylize everything else, usually.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Especially since there are so many things that are gender neutral like Spongebob and Fairly OddParents.
Well Fairly Odd Parents started out really good, but then it just got so sexist and disturbing that I'd never let a daughter anywhere near it, lol. It's a shame, but audiences have learned to settle for less in recent years and accept inferior products as quality.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well Fairly Odd Parents started out really good, but then it just got so sexist and disturbing that I'd never let a daughter anywhere near it, lol. It's a shame, but audiences have learned to settle for less in recent years and accept inferior products as quality.
That's probably when one of the creators left the series, right? I don't know. All I've seen of FOP were based on the crappy DVD's Nick sold including the first half of the sixth season. Man, I hope Shout releases it season by season. I've never seen any episodes I'd say are really that bad.

But when a creator leaves, the shows always start to decline greatly.

Still, I really hate how we have this gender segregation in our pop culture when it comes to kids. Half of it is understandable. Little kids don't really have a broad view of things and they don't have tastes that are refined until they're a little older. So the majority of little girls go to princesses and the majority of little boys go to toy cars and things like that. I absolutely hate that up until I was a preschooler, I liked the colors and flashiness of girl's programming over things like He-Man... but then again I also greatly appreciated Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, and Looney Tunes. And this was the syndicated stuff that often times wasn't censored. By all means, I should be a HUGE racist, but I'm not.

Little kids don't really know or care about gender segregation until they're a little older. Some just don't care, some are galvanized... some kids are completely different from the majority. Like I said, a lot of girls surprisingly grew up to be Transformer and TMNT fans. I've seen junior's t-shirts. There's more variety of 1980's nostalgic T-shirts in girl's shirts than boy's shirts, especially in certain stores.