When will The Muppet Show Seasons 4-5 and Muppets Tonight arrive on DVD?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's no way Wikipedia would have a reliable street date for these DVD sets while Amazon, TVshowsondvd.com, and other sites don't. The dates were added anonymously, so anyone who wanted to mess with people's heads could have added them in the same way "166.137.139.45" listed over 40 fictitious episodes of the animated Fraggle Rock series.
I hate when BAD wanna be fan fic nerds completely sabotage a Wikipedia entry with bull like that. Not even the clever screw with your head "Go Go Gadgetinis" or "Dragon Ball AF" pranks that actually go pretty far and are almost impressive. Just the mindless junk of people who think Wikipedia is like that typewriter from that John Candy movie and throw in all sorts of crap as wishful thinking. Like they're too lazy to actually write any of these as FF's and post them anywhere else on the internet. I literally stumbled on a "fanon" wiki, and it was very clear to me, you could basically write ANYTHING in one of those, no matter how batcrackers or completely incompatible with the source material and how misguided it sounds.

Leave fan fic to the professionals. People who can actually WRITE a good idea and not just say "a cross over between WordGirl and George of the Jungle happened. The end" on a message board disguised as a Wiki.

As for the DVD's, last time we got news of a DVD it was from a Disney site that somehow got the info before TVshowsondvd did, a couple months before, and a week later, things started popping up. If it was that case, I'd believe it. But just saying something on a wikipedia for the sake of wishful thinking doesn't make it so. If it did, I'd go to the Toonsylvania page and say that Dreamworks finally decided to release the entire series and give it away free from an air plane that they'd just toss them down off of. Singed by Wayne Knight and Brad Garret no less.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank you, I needed a laugh!
I was going to put "professional amateurs," but didn't.

I'd much rather read a fan fiction than just see some dumb hypothetical pairing as a list.

caper

Reaction score
Disney Channel has shown ALL of Seasons 4 and 5

Why can't they just release the DVDs already??!!

JustinHoskie

Reaction score
i don't get it. are they waiting to see how well the new movie sells, maybe? how can we find out how much it's selling?
It probably has to do with music rights issues/marketing reasons. The DVD set for The State was delayed for years because of it. MTV refused to talk about it for years, season one was released digitally in 2006 (with a new score/soundtrack), a DVD was announced by David Wain in 2007, followed by Michael Showalter two months later, set to be released later in the year, and then it was released two years later (2009), JUST as a new season of Reno 911 and Michael and Michael Have Issues was about to premiere!

Now that The Muppets is out, and it's a financial success on all accounts, I think we'll probably see season 4 within the next year or so.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
It's a really easy answer. The TV-to-DVD market is dying pretty fast. This is especially true at Disney. The company almost NEVER releases box sets of TV shows anymore. If they release anything related to their TV properties, it's best-of compilations of newer shows currently airing on the Disney Channel. They canceled all their Disney Afternoon sets years ago, to cite one example. Warner Brothers have done the same thing. The market isn't there for this stuff.

If Disney had any intention of releasing the last two Muppet Show seasons on DVD they would have done so by now. The fact that they didn't bother around the time of The Muppets release to theaters or on home video is a pretty big sign that they dont care.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a really easy answer. The TV-to-DVD market is dying pretty fast. This is especially true at Disney. The company almost NEVER releases box sets of TV shows anymore. If they release anything related to their TV properties, it's best-of compilations of newer shows currently airing on the Disney Channel. They canceled all their Disney Afternoon sets years ago, to cite one example. Warner Brothers have done the same thing. The market isn't there for this stuff.
Disney killed the line years ago. They honestly don't know how to market full season releases, that's why they dumped their sitcoms at Lionsgate.

I'm seeing them bring the Muppet Show DVD sets back out to co-incide with the movie's release, and they're having trouble keeping them in stock. I see like 1 or 2 copies left on the shelves. I don't even see the other movies.

There's no doubt they would have released them by now, since the sales of those sets have always been big. There's something screwed up, and I bet it's music licensing issues and bonus content problems. But if it isn't, they're only hurting themselves and the fans who would buy these things.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I wish they would just release The Muppet Show Seasons 4 & 5 via the MOD program... along with the remaining DuckTales and Rescue Rangers seasons of course. :wink: Then, after they see what a huge success it is, they could release them for real, and do an official packaging mail-away offer for all of us who ordered the MOD releases beforehand. :big_grin: Music rights be darned (though obviously I know it's something that has to be dealt with, crummy as it may be).