Miley and Demi

Misskermie

Reaction score
What happened to Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus? I wondered why Hannah Montana and Sonny with a chance didn't come on anymore, when they were doing fine...

kyunkyua

Reaction score
Demi Lovato was in treatment for an eating disorder. There was a special about it recently. It sounds like she'll be doing stuff again, but knowing how persistent that sort of issue can be...

Miley's doing country music now, I think. She was on Ellen some time ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's unwise to be stuck with one role in the entertainment industry. Lots of careers were killed or otherwise doomed after an actor/actress played on very famous role.

Look at how things were for Mark Hamil after Star Wars. If he didn't land the role of The Joker, who knows what he would have done. Now, he's arguably more iconic as The Joker than Luke Skywalker. Seriously, Family Guy was right. Harrison Ford was the only career that wasn't destroyed by the original Star Wars films. Same crap happened with Adam West. He was so iconic as Batman, he had trouble finding work. Bela Lugosi was a great actor who did Dracula, and languished in terrible B movies ever since.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't keep up with these Disney chicks, but it seems like Miley Cyrus pops in the news when you least expect over some kind of mild scandal... like recently, she was in the news for a tattoo she got support gay rights, and telling the uber-Conservative religious crowd that they need to re-read the Bible where it says we're not to be judgemental of other people.

Misskermie

Reaction score
But Hannah Montana was just starting it's 2nd season or what ever.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's unwise to be stuck with one role in the entertainment industry. Lots of careers were killed or otherwise doomed after an actor/actress played on very famous role.

Look at how things were for Mark Hamil after Star Wars. If he didn't land the role of The Joker, who knows what he would have done. Now, he's arguably more iconic as The Joker than Luke Skywalker. Seriously, Family Guy was right. Harrison Ford was the only career that wasn't destroyed by the original Star Wars films. Same crap happened with Adam West. He was so iconic as Batman, he had trouble finding work. Bela Lugosi was a great actor who did Dracula, and languished in terrible B movies ever since.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the only Seinfeld actor who's had a successful career since the end of the show, but then again, I think in some small way, it's easier for women to get by like that... somehow, a lot of it has to do with their appearances, it seems like all they have to do is change their hairstyle, and they look like a completely different person... if years ago you were to show me Old Christine, I guarantee you I would not have recognized her as Elaine Benes.

In some cases, some people just try too hard to distance themselves from whatever role it was they were previously famous for, sometimes they succeed (like Elizabeth Montgomery post-Bewitched), sometimes not so much (like Richard Dawson post-Hogan's Heroes)... and then it gets kind of sad when some of these actors are so fed up with being remembered for that one role that they act like big jerks whenever fans mention it... but luckily there are some people out there who don't mind because they like being associated with a beloved character they once played.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the only Seinfeld actor who's had a successful career since the end of the show, but then again, I think in some small way, it's easier for women to get by like that... somehow, a lot of it has to do with their appearances, it seems like all they have to do is change their hairstyle, and they look like a completely different person... if years ago you were to show me Old Christine, I guarantee you I would not have recognized her as Elaine Benes.
There was also a LOT of expectations that the stars of Seinfeld, when they went to their own shows, would be as funny or as successful as Seinfeld (or their respective characters). I wouldn't exactly say that Julia was the only one to find a career. Patrick Warburton carved out a niche as a voice actor before landing that "why the heck is this still on the air" series Rules of Engagement. But the biggest success was show creator Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm. None of the shows anyone did was half as funny as Seinfeld, not because of the stars... because of the quality of writing. Heck, I actually watch old Seinfelds and pick out things that could happen to Larry David's character in that show.

It's the writing talent that makes a show, not just the stars. That's why I was disappointed with Camp Lazlo. I thought with Joe Murray behind it, it had to be as funny as Rocko. Unfortunately, Rocko's writing team wasn't there.

I don't keep up with these Disney chicks, but it seems like Miley Cyrus pops in the news when you least expect over some kind of mild scandal... like recently, she was in the news for a tattoo she got support gay rights, and telling the uber-Conservative religious crowd that they need to re-read the Bible where it says we're not to be judgemental of other people.
What really gets me is the fact that these uptight soccer moms that pretended to be cool by watching Hanna Montana are thinking the actress is the character, and therefore that character should never grow up and has to be a role model for little kids. And the words role model are, combined, the most dangerous term in the English language. It forces an unrealistic rule of conducts and beliefs onto famous people, fictitious or real, that anytime they screw up and act human instead of god-like, they're the evilest monsters on the planet.

Now, I could go on about those homophobic biddies, and their backwards imaginary 1950's utopia... but here's a role model that can be destroyed quite easily...

Wonder Woman. The champion of woman's rights, a role model super hero for little girls (that don't read X-Men), and overall loved by women who wanted their own Batman and Superman, before they created Batgirl and Supergirl.

The guy who created him... very deviant. He was all about bondage (why else did WW have a lasso as her main weapon? Not to mention her weakness was being tied up by a man! No lie... look it up), and not only was he a married man with a lover on the side... he had children with both women (wait for it)... and BOTH women were so friendly, they lived for years after WW's creator died.

Now, if that didn't start a Wonder Woman comic/merchandise burning party, no one should get on Miley's case for not wanting to stone gay people to death because of some poorly translated references to Levitcan Law.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well, the reason why is becuase she's eighteen now. Disney would've made more Hannah Montana but she didn't want to do the role anymore. (Thank goodness! We would've been stuck with more of that!)
I have no idea why she would leave though. It's her only job really. I haven't seen her in anything since The Last Song.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I
Look at how things were for Mark Hamil after Star Wars. If he didn't land the role of The Joker, who knows what he would have done. Now, he's arguably more iconic as The Joker than Luke Skywalker.
Mark Hamil is a great voice actor. Just throwing that out there

*facepalm* Just *facepalm*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as these tween/teen sensations being "role models," I have no sympathy for parents who leave their children in the hands of the flavor of the month teeny boppers and then are shocked to find they're hardly the deepest or most mature people around, heh. Try introducing your kids to actual art once and awhile! :stick_out_tongue:

(Not that classic artists were always the best behaved people, but at least their work actually stood for something).

But I will say I did feel bad for Miley Cyrus when people were criticizing her for the horrible crime of quoting an atheist. Talk about sheltered people.