Miley and Demi

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There was also a LOT of expectations that the stars of Seinfeld
Well, I mean of the four main stars, yeah, a number of the recurring actors had rather successful careers, but that's to be expected with secondary actors, it's easier for them to get work post successful series, especially if they are already character actors.

But as for Miley and Demi, again, not so sure about Demi since I never really paid that much attention to her to begin with, but I have a feeling Miley is definitely going to end up like Lindsay Lohan, I can just foresee that happening, and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up flushing her career down the toilet as well.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Well, I mean of the four main stars, yeah, a number of the recurring actors had rather successful careers, but that's to be expected with secondary actors, it's easier for them to get work post successful series, especially if they are already character actors.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus' new show Veep is supposedly getting really good buzz, though hopefully HBO will eventually post it online, or else I will not be able to see it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Julia Louis-Dreyfus' new show Veep is supposedly getting really good buzz, though hopefully HBO will eventually post it online, or else I will not be able to see it.
I had no idea she already had another new show... isn't it a little too soon for her though? I mean, didn't Old Christine JUST end?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I had no idea she already had another new show... isn't it a little too soon for her though? I mean, didn't Old Christine JUST end?
I think Old Christine ended in the spring of 2010, so it's been two years between shows, which I don't think is too little time. She took longer between Seinfeld and whatever she did after that, I know she had some sitcom that didn't do very well before Christine. Plus, when HBO comes calling with a project, you have to answer that call.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Old Christine ended in the spring of 2010, so it's been two years between shows, which I don't think is too little time. She took longer between Seinfeld and whatever she did after that, I know she had some sitcom that didn't do very well before Christine. Plus, when HBO comes calling with a project, you have to answer that call.
It was Watching Ellie. The pilot was brilliant, and I wish the show was exactly like the pilot. If I can remember, it was sort of 24-ish, at least in the respect that there was a timer, and you followed Ellie around her day. Can't remember if it was in real time or they cut from hour to hour (I think the latter)... but then they turned it into a generic sitcom after that. All I can remember was the episode they were on Family Feud and someone panicked when the category was "Most popular Flavor of Popcicle" and said "tambourine" which translated into tangerine for some reason. Other than that, it was alright, but didn't leave an impression.

While I'm on the subject. Bob, the show Jason was a motivational speaker that had a crappy life... I liked the concept of that one, and the one where Michael Richards was Vic Nardoza, the private eye. That one where Jason Alexander was a Sports Talk Show Host was crap... and I'm the only one, apparently, but I HATED New Christine and thought it was the worst of all the Seinfeld Spinoffs career moves for cast members of the show.

I'm not counting The Tick... which was a noble effort, but the writers (the ones that weren't Ben Edlund, anyway) didn't quite get why The Tick was so special, and ruined the show with American Maid and Die Fledermaus knockoffs (as Saban, now Disney, owns every single original character created for the show) that took over the show with a lame caustic relationship. Not to mention the budget prevented any actual Super Hero-ness from happening in the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And like I say about Justin Beiber... I'd rather kids listen to that harmless, yet poorly written, fluff than corporate rap.
I would argue such mindless fluff is anything but harmless when it becomes more popular than actual art. :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
While I'm on the subject. Bob, the show Jason was a motivational speaker that had a crappy life... I liked the concept of that one, and the one where Michael Richards was Vic Nardoza, the private eye. That one where Jason Alexander was a Sports Talk Show Host was crap... and I'm the only one, apparently, but I HATED New Christine and thought it was the worst of all the Seinfeld Spinoffs career moves for cast members of the show.
I think you're far from the only person who didn't like Old Christine, it was a pretty typical CBS sitcom loaded with cliches. By the way, Jason Alexander does speeches now as "Donny Clay", which is the same motivational speaker character from the old show just with a different name. And there's a Twitter account too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would argue such mindless fluff is anything but harmless when it becomes more popular than actual art. :wink:
Yeah, but I'm comparing it to "music" that glorifies Pimps (we know what they really are) and smacking hos. I'd rather kids listen to real music, but I'd rather them listen to something harmless and age appropriate than something that promotes violence on that level. And I'm NOT a censorship kinda guy.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know what irritates me? How these child stars, even as they grow up, are "forced" into being "role models" by parents with double standards who let the TV raise their kids but are the first to freak out when something they don't like happens involving said stars.

I personally don't think any celebrity should be a role model but hey, thats just me

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what irritates me? How these child stars, even as they grow up, are "forced" into being "role models" by parents with double standards who let the TV raise their kids but are the first to freak out when something they don't like happens involving said stars.

I personally don't think any celebrity should be a role model but hey, thats just me
Well, it's a two-way street...

When it comes to the female demographic at least, little girls really could use some positive role-models, because let's face it, when it comes to girl-power in the media, it's all about sexualizing and growing up way too fast, which is pretty much what Drtooth already covered... so for something like Hannah Montana to come along, being a wholesome, positive, and decent figure, I can see where parents would want their little girls who look up to someone like that, THEN unfortunately, Miley Cyrus is like every other girl her age and older, they cannot wait to tarnish their image because they want to be able to be free to do whatever they want, which includes questionable behavior (the pole dancing, the salvia smoking, the callously throwing around wordplay that would suggest she's a stoner, the tattoos, etc), then of course parents are going to wig out about it. I mean I actually am surprised that little girls didn't start dressing up like ladies of the evening and pole dancing on top of ice cream carts because they saw "Hannah Montana" do it... that's how bad the situation is.

Then of course, there's those who in the media who HAVE tried to remedy the situation: SST's been trying for YEARS to introduce a new female Muppet that would have as big an impact on kids as Elmo's had, and after years of bombs, we finally got Abby Cadabby, and not only that, but there have been a number of inserts aimed specifically at little girls involving Abby, Zoe, and Rosita. Then of course, Arthur apparently had an episode recently where Francine and Muffy are upset because there really aren't a lot of cool female characters in movies and on TV.

And really, I don't think shows like Toddlers & Tiaras or Dance Moms are helping the situation at all, I think it's only making things worse... as much negative reaction as those shows get, WHY are they still on then? And on top of that, WHY is that one little girl from T&T getting her own show about moving to NYC?