Contest: Design art for Fraggle Rock 30th anniversary merchandise

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Jim Henson Company just announced the following contest today...

Since Fraggle Rock's creation in 1983 it has been seen in 80 countries and watched in a least ten different languages and, to this day, continues to enjoy a loyal international following. In celebration of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary, The Jim Henson Company is inviting aspiring artists to design the artwork for their exclusive merchandise. One winner will have their design featured and produced on select items for Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary, in addition to receiving a private tour of the Jim Henson design studios, followed by invitation to Fraggle Rock's 30th Anniversary party in Los Angeles.

The Jim Henson Company's Choice

The winning design will be featured and produced in elements of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary merchandise line, which will be promoted and sold on their online store. In addition, the winner will receive:
  • A private tour of The Jim Henson Company and attendance to Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary party (travel and two nights' accommodation in Los Angeles for two provided)
  • A framed copy of their artwork
  • A feature on Henson.com and Henson's Facebook page
  • $2,500
Eight runners-up, as selected by The Jim Henson Company, will each receive:
  • $500
People's Choice

The highest voted artist will receive:
  • $500
Get Involved

Submit by: June 20, 2012
Vote: June 21, 2012 10am PST- June 28, 2012 10am PST
Winner(s) Announced: July 12, 2012

For more info and to submit your work visit:
http://www.talenthouse.com/design-for-fraggle-rock-jim-henson

For more info on Fraggle Rock's 30th Anniversary:
http://henson.com/press_releases/2012-04-25.pdf

If you plan on making a submission, please like this post and tell us about it!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Time to start drawing again James!!

A few things I don't understand with this! Can the artwork be produced on paper using pens, ink, pastels etc! Then scanned into a computer and sent as jpg or PDF files?? I'm not to hot at computer graphics by can put pen to paper!!

Also is this only open to USA residents only or world wide??

Finally if the string doll co make a mokey doll it might look more like 'rags' from mokeys funeral!! Hehe

Chris

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Time to start drawing again James!!

A few things I don't understand with this! Can the artwork be produced on paper using pens, ink, pastels etc! Then scanned into a computer and sent as jpg or PDF files??
I'm not to hot at computer graphics by can put pen to paper!!

Also is this only open to USA residents only or world wide??

Finally if the string doll co make a mokey doll it might look more like 'rags' from mokeys funeral!! Hehe

Chris
I guess you can scan in your work, but I think they want layered fies (i.e. each character and element on a separate layer) so they can move around portions and edit them. :coy: So as long as you can manage to meet that criteria.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Oh dear!! You've lost me! Hehe.

No I understand a bit. I did a web design course several years ago and we touched on layers etc but as I havnt really put it into practice I'm not too confident.

Anyone have and ideas where I can help or any books that would explain it more!?

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hmm... I'll enter this, of course, but I wish I knew what it was going to be used for so I'd have an idea what would fly best. Simple color design for a T-shirt, full painterly pic w/background for poster-ish stuff, etc etc etc.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hmm... I'll enter this, of course, but I wish I knew what it was going to be used for so I'd have an idea what would fly best. Simple color design for a T-shirt, full painterly pic w/background for poster-ish stuff, etc etc etc.
That's another thing I also wandered about. Are they asking us to design a piece of merchandise or a design that could be used across a whole range like a hang tag design??

Thanks for the twitter link phil.

Chris

Drtooth

Reaction score

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Again... CURSE YOU Samsung Master Program I got from someone's camera being the only method of art work I can do that's good enough for fan arts but not good enough for something professional!!! CURSE YOU!

Still... Fraggles of These? That's cute and all, but why do I get the feeling they're getting lamer and lamer licensing companies? I for one want to see something much better than overpriced high end stuff and meh stuff in stores. Is Sababa bankrupt or what?
Most artists have to buy Adobe Creative Suite for over a thousand dollars. It's the cost of business. :frown: On the bright side there's really no need for upgrades or their future upgraded versions for 99.9% of things. :stick_out_tongue:
Most people pirate it, but I purchased mine. :concern: