The breakfast cereal thread

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Cracklin' Oat Bran of all cereals, but it's been about a month since I last ate breakfast since all my classes start late.

Used to be all about the Lucky Charms and the Golden Grahams as well. Golden Grahams cereal bars are some of the best things around in that department.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Golden Grahams occasionally as well.

That and Cinnamon Toast Crunch are two cereals that can be hit or miss... every once in a while, you'll get a bad box where the cereal tastes like cardboard.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Like Mikey, I like Life. Like really, really like. More like love, really. *

*this just might be my most confusing post ever. :confused:
I never got that commercial. Why the heck are they so shocked that Mikey liked the fricken cereal? I mean, seriously, they JUST got done saying that he'd eat anything and they're shocked that he liked it. Really? Unless they said that he won't eat ANYTHING, then I'd get it. But I swear they said 'He'll eat anything'

Daniel

Teheheman

Reaction score
As far as favorite cereals, I LOVE those Oatmeal Squares that Quaker puts out. I also like Golden Grahams and some others are on the list.
Discontinued cereals are more difficult for me cause I can't remember any good ones to list.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Found it...

If Powerpuff Girls did win, then I would say the contest was fixed. That was their biggest hit at the time, so the contest would HAVE to be fixed, because I remember keeping track of the polls, Dexter was in the lead, with Courage in second.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
When I was little, anything with marshmallows was king! Lucky Charms ruled- back in the 70's there were only four marsmallows: pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers. When they introduced blue diamonds, you thought it was the Second Coming.
I also loved the Monster cereals- FrankenBerry and Count Chocula, but didn't care too much for Boo Berry. For a brief moment they were joined by Fruit Brute (the mascot was a werewolf), which had to be the single-most disgusting pile of processed oats there ever was.

In the fall of 1976, Purina (yes, the dog food company!) tried their hand at making a cereal called GrinsnSmilesnGigglesnLaughs- which had a shelf life shorter than a drunken butterfly. After this cereal was discontinued, they probably put the surplus back into the 50-pound bags of dog food where it belonged.

Several presidents later, now I'm eating Special K and Rice Krispies, but once in a while I'll still indulge in my Lucky Charms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If Powerpuff Girls did win, then I would say the contest was fixed. That was their biggest hit at the time, so the contest would HAVE to be fixed, because I remember keeping track of the polls, Dexter was in the lead, with Courage in second.
The PPG actually had a cereal before that... and I can't for the life of me remember what it was exactly. All I know is that it was something different than that. I never bought it. All I remember is seeing the back of the box and saying to myself "Didn't they already have a cereal?"

Still, that Eds cereal looks pretty good. Wonder if it was supposed to have any fruit flavor to simulate Jaw breakers.

In the fall of 1976, Purina (yes, the dog food company!) tried their hand at making a cereal called GrinsnSmilesnGigglesnLaughs- which had a shelf life shorter than a drunken butterfly. After this cereal was discontinued, they probably put the surplus back into the 50-pound bags of dog food where it belonged.
Purina pretty much continued to sell cereal up until 1997, when General Mills bought them out. Of course, by that time, all they had was Cookie Crisp. But most of the cereal they had in the 80's and 90's were licensed character ones (often just switching characters on the box out and merely reshaping the cereal).

Actually, looking these things back up, I remember Tiny Toons cereal. It was basically the Mr. T cereal with I's, n's, y's and o's. I think...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That might be the worst name of any food product ever conceived. Grinsnsmilesngigglesnlaughs, that's just trying way too hard.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Alot of people have been wanting Mr.T cereal back. I remember atleast trying that one once. But I can't remember the taste now. I keep thinking it was like Capn Crunch or Quisp.

mr3urious

Reaction score
When I was little, anything with marshmallows was king! Lucky Charms ruled- back in the 70's there were only four marsmallows: pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers. When they introduced blue diamonds, you thought it was the Second Coming.
WHY did they feel the need to change the pots of gold of today's cereal into hourglasses? I mean, rainbows are obviously supposed to have pots of gold at the end! Let's face it, breakfast is woo-ined (points to whoever gets that reference)!

I also loved the Monster cereals- FrankenBerry and Count Chocula, but didn't care too much for Boo Berry. For a brief moment they were joined by Fruit Brute (the mascot was a werewolf), which had to be the single-most disgusting pile of processed oats there ever was.
I wasn't born yet when Fruit Brute was around, but I know what it is thanks to Quentin Tarantino! :big_grin: