Potential New Muppet Show

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yes but if you read the article more carefully it says in additon to the success of last years movie a new Muppet series is currently in development in the States. Its two different shows being made. One by the Jim Henson Company in Great Britain and the other one to be made here in the States which would be Kermit and co.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
That article is kind of old it was done back in March. The annoucment that was just made today is the first I've heard of it since that article was posted.
Haha I totally realized that embarrassingly late :stick_out_tongue: I'm not the savviest.

But still! That is pretty exciting business

Beauregard

Reaction score
Shockingly, this actually IS being talked about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/06/the-muppets-tv-return

The Muppets could once again belighting the lights and playing the musicon television following the global success of their big-screen return.

A senior Disney executive said the company was considering all options for the show, which originally ran between 1976 and 1981.

Disney has announced a sequel for the film, which won the best song Oscar and by the end of last week had taken $158m (£132m) worldwide.

"I am looking at that as we speak, it's a really fun one to work on," said marketing chief and channels manager for Disney in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Tricia Wilber.

Wilber said there was a "strong affinity and passion and connection" to the Muppets in the UK.

"The investment in the film was obviously significant ... we did want to see where and how it performed. We are looking at what this means for us and how we could take that further. Obviously the success here [in the UK] is a key driver in that," she told a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch on Tuesday.

"What we'd do is ask what's the right opportunity for the franchise," she added.

"If you went down the television series route it could play on the Disney Channel but it could also play in primetime on a free-to-air network. We would look at a variety of different models."

Wilber said it also might return in other formats such as an app, which she said could be turned around much faster than a new TV show.

Disney's senior vice president, original programming in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Marc Buhaj, said there was "no shortage of excitement with various creative folk in the world how we could work with the Muppets".

The Jim Henson Company, the original creators of the Muppets, are currently developing a Saturday teatime chatshow format with a puppet host for BBC1.

The original Muppets series ran in the UK on ITV.

bandit

Reaction score
That's so exciting! It's one of the key points of the Muppets that they have always worked around pop culture and current stars or trends. This is why The Muppets, like the brilliant Jen Saunders show Absolutely Fabulous have such staying power. They move right along with the times.

I hope to see more progress on this soon! Fantastic.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Interesting! I like seeing that Disney is keeping all their options on the table when it comes to working with the Muppets and their future projects.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have wondered if Letters From Santa being on NBC was because it was completing an older deal for two Muppet films on NBC. Which started with A Very Muppet Christmas. Which would predate the Disney sale. This is just speculation but it would make sense.
By that logic The Muppets' Wizard of Oz should have aired on NBC instead of ABC.

It is interesting, though, that Letters to Santa has not yet aired on any Disney-owned station, but aired two years in a row on NBC and last year aired on The CW.

galagr

Reaction score
Please don't air it on the Disney channel...><
The thing about Disney Channel has me torn. If it does air on Disney Channel, it would give the channel a break from the crud that they air now, but also, it sort of clicks having it be on the Disney Channel and being owned by Disney. :confused: