Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I agree with what these guys are saying about Abby. I mean, I love her, I've got the doll and Ms. Carerra rocks, but there's just something not right about Elmo and Abby being best friends. It almost feels forced by the company. Or maybe I'm just mad about Abby breaking Elmo and Zoe's best-friendship. :laugh:
I really do like Abby. She works best with certain characters, but there's that branding issue with Elmo and Abby. And I agree. There's something magical about the friendship Zoe and Elmo share. It's like Baby Bear and Telly or even Big Bird and Snuffy. Elmo and Abby are like Ernie and Humphrey. Weird combination.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly thought shooting Elmo in Grouchland in Toronto or wherever was kinda weird.
Actually, it was FTB that was filmed in Toronto (EIG was shot in North Carolina, IIRC), and it's because it's actually cheaper to do a movie in Canada as opposed to in America, which is why a lot of American movies are actually filmed in Toronto, or other major cities in Canada. Remember, most of Jim's specials were done in Canada as well, such as The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, and others.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I really do like Abby. She works best with certain characters, but there's that branding issue with Elmo and Abby. And I agree. There's something magical about the friendship Zoe and Elmo share. It's like Baby Bear and Telly or even Big Bird and Snuffy. Elmo and Abby are like Ernie and Humphrey. Weird combination.
LOL, that is definitely the truth. Some relationships just have to click like that; no one can force them. Like with Baby Bear and Telly; Baby Bear was originally meant to be a one-episode character, but then he kept coming back and sharing some episodes with Telly, and pretty soon this character from a fairy tale and this monster were best of friends. Odd couple, but you can't stop a friendship like that.

And some just come naturally by performer. Like my friend Fraggline poined out the other day, who would've guessed Boober, the clean, orderly germ freak, and Wembley, the less-than-hygenic little fraggle, could hit it off so well together? It's just Steve and Dave there.

But then how did Zoe and Elmo get that magic and Abby and Elmo didn't, even though both monsters were paired on purpose? I'm curious.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Actually, it was FTB that was filmed in Toronto (EIG was shot in North Carolina, IIRC), and it's because it's actually cheaper to do a movie in Canada as opposed to in America, which is why a lot of American movies are actually filmed in Toronto, or other major cities in Canada. Remember, most of Jim's specials were done in Canada as well, such as The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, and others.
And Fraggle too. So that's why they always do it in Canada. I always thought it was so they could get big, empty spaces (for a yellow studebaker, perhaps?). But it still looks weird to me...I mean, why do a SS movie in North Carolina when New York, where SS takes place, is right in front of your nose?

Drtooth

Reaction score
LOL, that is definitely the truth. Some relationships just have to click like that; no one can force them. Like with Baby Bear and Telly; Baby Bear was originally meant to be a one-episode character, but then he kept coming back and sharing some episodes with Telly, and pretty soon this character from a fairy tale and this monster were best of friends. Odd couple, but you can't stop a friendship like that.
I'd love to see Abby's magic go awry on Elmo and have Elmo flip out about it. Something where Elmo makes her cry, even though he doesn't mean it and feels sorry about it. "Rhyming Block" was the only time the characters had any real tension, and it WORKED.

Think about it this way. Why did Mumford sketches work so well? His magic backfired and everyone either gets upset at him or shrugs it off like "Why me?" She does that with adults, celebrities, and basically everyone BUT Elmo.

Hubert

Reaction score
I'd love to see Abby's magic go awry on Elmo and have Elmo flip out about it. Something where Elmo makes her cry, even though he doesn't mean it and feels sorry about it. "Rhyming Block" was the only time the characters had any real tension, and it WORKED.

Think about it this way. Why did Mumford sketches work so well? His magic backfired and everyone either gets upset at him or shrugs it off like "Why me?" She does that with adults, celebrities, and basically everyone BUT Elmo.
Lately I've noticed in some way that the SST crew seems to be apprehensive about putting much tension between characters. It's a shame...it makes Sesame Street more complete with a full range of emotions.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe they're afraid of throwing the old "Break the Cutie" trope at Elmo and Abby or something.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score

Hey, that sounds like it might be pretty funny. Elmo and Zoe had tension like that (what with Rocco and all), but Elmo and Abby have never had that. I'd love to see Elmo get all frazzled up about some spell Abby did. Also, what's Rhyming Block?

Hubert

Reaction score
And I think tension between those two is something that kids can really relate to...I'm sure that they get mad at their friend or sibling or something sometimes. They can be shown how to handle that anger through those two. Plus, it's not like Elmo getting mad at Gordon or something, both seem about the same age, same mentality, which is something good to show, as in the child's life, they're probably going to end up being tension between them and someone that is on their same level, rather than someone older or younger than them.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Yeah, and I remember this one episode where Elmo got pretty upset at Zoe for treating Rocco like he was more special than Elmo during their special play date together. And when Elmo would blow up at her for acting like the rock was alive, he would always start to realize how Zoe felt and try to find a way to make it up to her. I think that would be really pretty cute if Elmo and Abby did that, and it would be a really healthy thing for kids to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.