RIP Andy Griffith

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Kind of like if she wasn't married to Phil Rosenthal, Monica Horan probably wouldn't even be on Everybody Loves Raymond.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I've been noticing lately is that although my local CBS has been playing the black-and-white episodes for years (uncut, with the exception of the closing tags), in recent months, they've been removing the laugh track from the episodes.

Fraggline

Reaction score
OMG... OMG... no, please no...

I'm actually tearing up as I write this: yes, Andy Griffith was a legend, but down here in the south, he was much more than that, he was an icon, his show is almost always on TV, whether it's local channels playing reruns, or the cable networks like TV Land (remember back in the 90s when TBS played it?)... Andy was always a part of my life, even from when I was a little kid growing up, and now that he's gone, I'm really, really saddened by this, because I feel like I just lost someone near and dear to me, even though I never knew him personally, he was still always there. I hope his legacy will continue to live on, the world needs more Andy Griffiths. :cry:
I'm so sorry. You have my sympathy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TV Land's been doing another tribute marathon this weekend, and as it turns out, they're going to be doing tribute marathons every weekend for the whole month.

I think that's very fitting for such a legend like Andy Griffith... I'm still sad over his loss. :cry:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess today is going to be the last day of the Andy Griffith tribute marathon on TV Land, and I noticed later today, they will be playing the episode "Three Wishes for Opie" (he one with Count Iz Van Tilecki, or however you spell it)... I do have to wonder though, why is this one considered the best episode of the entire series? I agree, it's a funny episode, especially with the little scene where Barney, Goober, and Floyd try to summon the spirit of Iz Van Tilecki, and Andy ends up planting that fingerprint kit that Barney wanted to ask the Count for, but it just seems to me a more poignant episode like "Opie the Birdman" or "The Christmas Story" among others would be considered to be the best... just my thinking.

Princeton

Reaction score
I guess today is going to be the last day of the Andy Griffith tribute marathon on TV Land, and I noticed later today, they will be playing the episode "Three Wishes for Opie" (he one with Count Iz Van Tilecki, or however you spell it)... I do have to wonder though, why is this one considered the best episode of the entire series?
Where did you hear that this one is the best? The general consensus is that "Opie the Birdman" is the best one. My personal favorite is "Citizen's Arrest".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Where did you hear that this one is the best? The general consensus is that "Opie the Birdman" is the best one. My personal favorite is "Citizen's Arrest".
TV Guide, and a few other sources describe it like this: "In an episode considered by many to be the series' best, Barney thinks he's summoned the spirit of a 200-year-old count after he buys some fortunetelling cards and a magic lamp."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There is one alternative these networks could try... you know how some DVD players have that rapid play feature, where you can play content at either 0.8% slower or 1.3% faster? I tried watching an un-cut half hour episode of a show on rapid play, and found it runs about 17 minutes: if these networks could figure out a way to air their shows like that, they could still play them uncut, and actually gain some more precious commercial time.
Looks like MeTV has taken me up on my idea, I see their shows are uncut, and that in spots, they're played like Rapid Play.

Admittedly, it's a little awkward watching, and everyone is speaking normally at one minute, then they sound like they're hopped up on caffine the next.