Speculation: CW interested in Muppets?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know how this would work... considering the Classic Muppets are owned by Disney, that would mean either the CW would have to get permission from, and pay really hefty fees to Disney for producing a new holiday special for their network (which I doubt Disney would agree to), OR, it would mean that Disney themselves would have to produce an entirely new Muppet Christmas Special, which I guess repeats of could appear on CW... either way, there would be some really tough copyright and legal issues standing in the way... I'm betting it's probably more or less airing a repeat of another classic Muppet special that maybe perhaps Disney DOESN'T own the rights to.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah! And if Petowitz doesn't come through on that promise, he'll have a lot of angry frogs and dogs and pigs and bears and chickens and rats and whatevers pounding down his doors. :grr:
*Isn't surprised this hubbub is over a potential new Muppets Christmas special. Christmas, the Lois Lane of holidays.
:smile: What?
Well c'mon... It's the one holiday that gets so many specials where it has to be "saved".
:batty: I'd much rather they delivered on the promise of a Muppets Halloveen special.
You and me both buddy.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Well keep in mind NBC had letters from Santa well after Disney bought the muppets...it is not uncommon for a company to make programs for other networks even when they own a show...scrubs was produced by ABC and aired on NBC for most of its run...yes there may be in fact a price in doing this but if it benefits both Disney and CW they may be willing to do that....now as far as a new special the only thing I could think would work at this point is if they did a live or pseudo live show...its a little late to start filming a new Muppet special...but it would be fun to see the muppets working in a live format...I agree though...it would be nice to see something other than Christmas...going back a step though I'm betting CW will try to air more older Muppet Christmas specials...there are 5 to choose from ( Muppet family Christmas, John Denver and the Muppets, Muppet Christmas Carol, Letter to Santa, Very Merry)

muppetperson

Reaction score
When I first saw the headline, I thought it was Childrens Television Workshop interested in buying the Muppets! After reading it, I dont see any big deal.The CW network showed a Muppet special, it rated well, and they promised to screen more.Nothing more than that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know how this would work... considering the Classic Muppets are owned by Disney, that would mean either the CW would have to get permission from, and pay really hefty fees to Disney for producing a new holiday special for their network (which I doubt Disney would agree to), OR, it would mean that Disney themselves would have to produce an entirely new Muppet Christmas Special, which I guess repeats of could appear on CW.

Probabably the last one, as television networks constantly air, and always have, shows made by a "rival" company. A LOT of WB produced shows aired on ABC, especially after the buy out. ABC's biggest hit, Modern Family is produced by FOx.

So, a Disney produced Muppet special airing on CW isn't any different than the CW airing a show produced by Disney at all.

Still, CW?!?! Why not ABC? I know the LTS reruns was their highest rated thing, which PROVES how crap a network like CW is (I am looking forward to Green Arrow, though), but I'd rather see the Muppets get the exposure they need than the exposure they'd get there.

Also, it's August. The time to do a Christmas special is LONG past, unless we want something rushed that wouldn't be that good. They should have started on a script quite some time ago. Unless they were working on one all along, I've got a feeling it's going to be eh and not a potentially wonderful special it could have been.

Also... Who do I have to see to stop making Muppet Christmas specials? We've got QUITE enough of them as it is. You can't punt a football and not hit Muppet Christmas something. How about a Valentines special, a Halloween Special... a bleeding Guy Fawkes Day special. Just NO MORE Christmas specials. PLEASE!

Hubert

Reaction score
Also... Who do I have to see to stop making Muppet Christmas specials? We've got QUITE enough of them as it is. You can't punt a football and not hit Muppet Christmas something. How about a Valentines special, a Halloween Special... a bleeding Guy Fawkes Day special. Just NO MORE Christmas specials. PLEASE!
A Muppet Halloween special would make a ton of sense. The Muppets have so many monsters and frackles that they have a hard time using, it would be a great way to somehow showcase them in the special, while still making something extremely entertaining.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Because Christmas is the biggest holiday of the year that's why. I personally would love to see a Valentines Day special though. As for someone not thinking its a big deal. When it gets The Muppets even more exposure whether it's done in repeats or a new one it's a BIG DEAL to me personally. And I'm excited either way repeats or not.