The Muppets Go To The Movies

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I've enjoyed seeing both of The Muppets Go To The Movies and The Muppets Go Hollywood on YouTube over the past couple of years - it was the first time I'd seen either of them since I was seven or eight years old and WOW, they're STILL a treat even when watching them on an adult level.

I'll agree with previous posters that Hollywood seems frothier and more celebrity-driven (although it still has its fun moments) while Movies is funnier and lands more great humourous body blows. I still love all the crazy movie parodies, right down to the Muppet-driven studio logos, as well as the no-holds-barred approach from Tomlin, Moore and the Muppeteers themselves. And yes, Kermit correcting the announcer after Fozzie botches the carving of the title (and then knocks the whole thing over)...priceless...

I honestly think The Muppets Go To The Movies should be the template for any new Muppet TV specials. It doesn't worry about trying to be hip or cool (you'll notice that none of the spoofed films were released after 1970), it doesn't go overboard in self-promotion, and it's just flat-out crazy and fun. I'm so glad Muppet fans are still enjoying it, decades later. (And count me in for the campaign to get it released on DVD!!!)

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Dude! What about the Ben Hur tribute with Dudley Moore as Ceaser playing the piano while Gonzo, Lew Zeland and Beauregard did a chariot race around him in circles? Oh, and instead of horses, they used chickens, fish and rats retrospectively? Remember that, huh?!
I loved the trumpet player in the begaining where he's just jazzing it up and Dudley pushes him over. lol Every single time I see roman trumpetts like that, I always think of that gag. I was recently watching Mel Brooks' History of The World part 1 waiting for the gag then I though "Oh wait, that was from The Muppets Go To The Movies" lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I loved the trumpet player in the begaining where he's just jazzing it up and Dudley pushes him over. lol Every single time I see roman trumpetts like that, I always think of that gag. I was recently watching Mel Brooks' History of The World part 1 waiting for the gag then I though "Oh wait, that was from The Muppets Go To The Movies" lol
Though I think The Three Stooges did a similar gag in one of their shorts either roman horn or army horn.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Loved "The Muffets Muppets go to the Movies. One of the Muppets' funniest TV specials. And yes, it was meant to promot GMC. There was a special that promoted TMM, which is "Muppets go Hollywood". An... interesting special. My main problem with Muppets go Hollywood was that there seemed to be too much attention given to the celebrity guest stars, and not enough to the Muppets. Then again, it was one of the first Muppet TV specials (not counting all of the pre-Muppet Show specials). There still are a good deal of fun things in it, though. Sam collecting autographs, Animal going after all of the female guests, Miss Piggy singing "Baby face/I've got the cutest little baby face", Johnny Mathis' version of "Never Before, Never Again", Statler and Waldorf's, comments, etc.
I wasn't too big on The Muppets Go Hollywood, either. :smirk: Yes there were still some good moments in there, as well as you said. I feel The Muppets Go To The Movies was much better though.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I wasn't too big on The Muppets Go Hollywood, either. :smirk: Yes there were still some good moments in there, as well as you said. I feel The Muppets Go To The Movies was much better though.
I thought it was okay but yeah, I feel the same way, there should have been more Muppets. I did like Sam collecting Autographs lol I miss those classic specials. In fact, I'm watching The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show as I type. :smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
One of my fave Muppet projects and Silent Strawberries is one of the best Muppet bits EVER!

I noticed that the very ending when Animal comes up to Mamma is always edited out. I might have seen it once as a kid. Does Animal kick the robot and it brakes again, at the very end of the credits?

And wasn't Lily Tomlin that same lady that kept playing that telephone operator that was all over TV not to mention a few Muppet and Sesame Specials? Where did that originate, SNL? Probably before my time .lol
Not so much kicks MAMMA again but basically does a full bodyslam into him.

Lily Tomlin's Ernestine character is from Laugh-In - based on your other posts i would HIGHLY reccomend checking it out! One of the best tv shows ever and a huge influence on BOTH SST and TMS

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Anyone know it's on DVD? Unfortunately it's dubbed in a foreign language. If I owned it I would copy the HQ footage and take the audio from my taped from TV copy with an editing program to remaster it fan made. But hopefully Disney will distribute it after Seasons 4 and 5 are released. Sounds like a good special feature for season 5 next to the Muppets And Men Documentry. :smile: Special Features RULE! :smile:
Personally, I think Muppets Go to the Movies could be on the Season 4 set, with Of Muppets and Men coming on Season 5.

If that's the case, I kinda think that it's a very likely reason for the hold-up on the release of Season 4--a LOT of copyrights to clear on that one. :stick_out_tongue:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Lily Tomlin's Ernestine character is from Laugh-In - based on your other posts i would HIGHLY reccomend checking it out! One of the best tv shows ever and a huge influence on BOTH SST and TMS
Other posts? I heard of Laugh-In but never seen a full episode. That's the show where John Wayne said "You better bet your sweet pippie." and that sketch where people tell corny jokes opening doors or something like that. Was that the same show where Jennie from I Dream of Jennie got in big trouble with the network or the FCC for showing her navel? That's all I know about Laugh-In. But I'll totally check it out. It must be good. The Simpsons I think did tons of parodies on that show. I remember seeing one with Krusty the Clown getting trapped in the door sketch just swearing saying he can't get the door open, then cuts to a scene where Krusty explains how he got banned from the industry for another 10 years. lol I got to find that episode and watch it again. lol
Anyway, I hope it's better than Hee Haw (shivers). Hee Haw to me looked funny when I seen the Time Life commercials, then I found a full episode on the internet, too much deadpan humor and not enough slapstick. lol Well at least Roy Clark got to me on The Muppet Show singing Rocky Top (Probably one of my favorite TMS moments plus my favorite Country song)

Also wasn't the producer of Laugh-In that George Shlatter, the guy who was mentioned on The Muppet Show pitch tape? What ever happened to that guy? It seems he was only involved briefly.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Personally, I think Muppets Go to the Movies could be on the Season 4 set, with Of Muppets and Men coming on Season 5.

If that's the case, I kinda think that it's a very likely reason for the hold-up on the release of Season 4--a LOT of copyrights to clear on that one. :stick_out_tongue:
Yeah, I figured that was the case. Me and my best friend are still waiting for it so we just enjoy our TV recording versions that I got from tape trades awhile back when they were taped on Nickelodeon. The Muppet Show and the following Muppet Shows had more copyrighted songs then they did original...Well except for the movies of course.

I remember Brain Henson said that Muppets Tonight would be next after TMS DVDs

Still no idea about a Jim Henson Hour box set. There's Dog City and Song of The Cloud Forest, but still I'd like a complete series set. But we all know all the complications of just how the Jim Henson characters copyrights got split up to different companies. I still remember when times were simple. Three words, Muppet Family Christmas. Good Times :smile:

Anyway I just converted The Muppets Go To The Movies to my ipod, I'm not sure if my best friend seen it yet. We hang out and watch DVDs from our huge DVD libraries every other weekend. And my friend just got into The Muppet Show Muppets a bit. Now he's got all Three Muppet Show box sets, also some rare footage that I made copies to him. It's nice to have someone who can enjoy The Muppets with besides myself. :smile:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I just watched the special today on my ipod when eating lunch and most of the day just imitating Link as Gummo. lol "No, your the stupid one." lol Link was go great in that special. lol Rowlf playing music to the silent arabic film featuring Kermit and his surprised maden. "HOW CROSS BUNNIES, I JUST GOT IT LOL"

I know that there's a lot of debate on classic Muppets vs the current Muppets but this special, NOW THAT'S THE MUPPETS TO ME! That's My Kind of Muppets.

The broadway rock music
Bad puns
Dysfunctional characters
Irreverent humor and slapstick
the Wild, Zanny and weird energy
It just brings it all back to me. lol

By the way, was Gummo a reference or inside joke or was it just this silly surreal name they kept using. Link is called Gummo, Sam narrates Silent Strawberries written by Gummo Burbman. And in the credits.....hang on let me check my ipod here. (I figure it would be funny to actually type that. lol) Written by Jerry Juhl, Chris Langham, Jim Henson and GUMMO. lol

Wow, there's just so many good things I can say about this special, the gags and everything. "I think Hot Crossed Bunnies were too hip for them" and how Kermit told Miss Piggy that the Penguins make her look good in the Heatwave number. lol

But yeah, I think the special is on a dutch DVD release. I'm not sure if there's an original audio track. I'd even just love to buy a copy just to remaster it for myself.

Like I said, to me this was like the final bow and curtain to The Muppet Show. The theater was there, the original zanny humor was there, almost everyone who worked on the series was there, etc.

Personally I would like to see this on the Season 5 DVD on an extras disk with Muppets & Men as well as the rare wrap tapes that have been floating around youtube lately.

And maybe Season 4 could have blooper reels if any still exist. The Channel promos, TV appearances, Even the full Johnny Carson Tonight Show where Kermit hosts could be on an extras disk (unless the Johnny Carson company already released it somehow, I heard they are releasing full episodes to DVD)