Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Alright, so, I never officially watched Next Mutation until last week and man...it sucks...I absolutely positively hate Venus! She was Bella Swan before there was Bella Swan, what with her one emotion and constant need to repeat: 'It's shinobi time!'

Shinobi is just another word for ninja -_- I really hope Peter Laird's hatred of Venus prevents her from ever showing up ever again!!!!!
Venus was Executive and Network meddling because of an insanely hypocritical regulation that all boys cartoons have to have positive female role models (especially when girl's shows don't even have strong females most of the time... look at Bratz), even though we now refuse to make toys based on shows that have girls in them when they need the girls in them if its a show for boys. April's a LUCKY character to constantly be in the TMNT action figure line up. No Mira Nova in the Buzz Lightyear line, no girls in the Avatar: The Last Airbender line... they begrudgingly have girls in some super hero lines (but no Black Canary or Wonder Woman in the Batman Brave and the Bold Line).

But getting back to the core problem, they needed a positive female role model, and the makers of the show were too far sighted to add April to the show until the second season that was never produced. So they added the fifth turtle, which is like adding a fourth Stooge (not Shemp... I mean like Larry, Moe, Curly, and some other guy who did nothing). She threw off the balance, she was just there, and as a positive female role model, she can't have anything offensive like character flaws or a personality.

However, I heard talks that she might make a come back in the IDW comics. They plan to bring back EVERYBODY! Hopefully she gets a bad@*$ makeover that makes her useful.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
However, I heard talks that she might make a come back in the IDW comics. They plan to bring back EVERYBODY! Hopefully she gets a bad@*$ makeover that makes her useful.

Oh geez D< Well, I agree, she better be useful this time around if she does end up coming back!

I mean, I love April so much because sure, in the 80s series she basically chased the guys around with her camera and drove their vehicles when she wasn't getting captured by lame Shredder, but, in the 2k3 series I was so happy to see her get such a great role! She was smart, she had a temper, she had emotions and she could fight! That's got to be my favorite April like ever XD

And as for the lack of female action figures in general it gets to me and that's why I'm planning on getting more than 1 figure of 2k12 April, so I can make my own girls, which I know I'm going to start off by making Renet The Timestress (She's probably my 2nd favorite TMNT female character)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean, I love April so much because sure, in the 80s series she basically chased the guys around with her camera and drove their vehicles when she wasn't getting captured by lame Shredder, but, in the 2k3 series I was so happy to see her get such a great role! She was smart, she had a temper, she had emotions and she could fight! That's got to be my favorite April like ever XD
Of all the things I find superior about the 2k3 series is April. It's not that I don't like the 80's version... but the fact that she was able to hold her own in battle and be a greater big sister figure for the turtles (especially since she and Don were scientific peers), it did the series a better service than someone who, yeah... she cares about the turtles, but plays the damsel in distress several times too many for my tastes... not to mention how obsessed she was about getting the best story. Though, as much as I dislike the final season of the original, I liked April's role as the Barbara Gordon/Oracle type character who would constantly warn them about things while doing research.

And as for the lack of female action figures in general it gets to me and that's why I'm planning on getting more than 1 figure of 2k12 April, so I can make my own girls, which I know I'm going to start off by making Renet The Timestress (She's probably my 2nd favorite TMNT female character)
That's why it's such a frustrating double standard. They want positive female role models, but they refuse to make toys of them, and that sometimes ruins potential licenses. That's one of the factor's that caused Symbiotic Titan to get pulled off the network (that and CN doesn't like Genndy Tartikofsky anymore). As much as I have problems with Playmate's business sense, they never shied away from female characters. April was always part of the TMNT line up, they had Uhura in the Star Trek remake sets, they had Gosalyn in their Darkwing Duck series and were going to make Morgana if they made a second series... Mattel on the other hand HATES women. No Nami in the One Piece line, no girls from Last Airbender... other than Justice League and DC classics, they refused to use female characters in The Batman and Batman Brave and the Bold lines...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
According to tvshowsondvd.com, a complete series boxed set is coming out, with all of the bonus features previously released, packaged in a toy turtle van. And it'll apparrently only cost 23 dollars.

I wonder if the discs will all be exactly like what was released on the individual seasons. If I was in charge I'd put "Planet of the Turtleoids" and "Once Upon a Time Machine" in their rightful spots as opposed to bonus features on the season ten disc, put all out-of-order episodes in the correct order, and not include double-dipping on the season ten episodes that were bonus features on the first DVD.

EDIT: According to a facebook comment from tvshowsondvd the price is not actually 23 dollars as previously announced (I'm not surprised), it'll be 99 dollars.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw that article.... ehhh... it's nice and all, but it's not half as good as the Scooby-Doo complete series van. it actually had figural Shaggy and Scooby, whereas this one has sticker windows.

Seriously... I'd buy the Scooby set just for the container.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
For the record, Donatello is unquestionably the best turtle, because I say so. Teefury and Ript, t-shirt sites which often make Turtles shirts, make 1 Donatello shirt for every 4 Raph, Leo, and Mikey shirts, and it sucks that he doesn't get more attention. Much like Scooter, he seems to be unloved despite his importance and prominence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Donny's alright by me. I hate to be the only one that ever says this, but while I can't say least favorite turtles, Leo has to be my fourth favorite.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Donny's alright by me. I hate to be the only one that ever says this, but while I can't say least favorite turtles, Leo has to be my fourth favorite.
Yeah, Leo never seemed that interesting to me, just the typical boyscout team leader in the same vein as Cyclops or Captain America. The other three have much more interesting traits.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Yeah, Leo never seemed that interesting to me, just the typical boyscout team leader in the same vein as Cyclops or Captain America. The other three have much more interesting traits.
I think that means its safe to say that I'm probably the only person whose favorite turtle is Leo...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, sort of. More like Raph and Mikey always steal the show for me in any given version.

Though I LOVED the fact Leo blew a gasket in season 4 of the 2k3 series because he thought he was unable to save his family after a huge battle.