1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Nov 24, 2003.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I admit I did stop watching early. I did try watching one of their darker episodes later on and while I admired them for having some gutsy story lines, the dialogue still felt very juvenile, at least for me.

Absolutely they always seemed like snarky 20 year olds in 87 rather than teenagers, lol. The only time I ever got a teen vibe off of them is when Leonardo was hit by Donatello's personality altering thingie and he became all laid back and goof off, lol.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The dialogue didn't strike me as any different than a standard action cartoon. It isn't exactly easy to make straightforward seriousness and not Narm. Even the comic was kinda guilty of it. There was one episode where the dialogue was atrocious, I admit... one of the last of the REAL 2k3 episodes. It had the laughable exchange:

CaseyL It looks like a storm is coming.

Splinter: NO! It is already here!

UGH...

Which was a shame, since it was a key episode to the end of the series. But it's still better than Krang's line (in an otherwise great episode) "I like my seafood without flies!" Few of us do.
  3. heralde

Yeah that line needs to be banned from action TV and movies for a few years, lol.

I guess that's why I liked the 87 cartoon, it was more of a send up of action cartoons cliches.
  4. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Just randomly thinking of the movies right now. Why did they make Splinter like that in TMNT III? He looked more like a rat with the other 2.
  5. heralde

Why did they do a lot of things in TMNT III, lol.
    Hayley B likes this.
  6. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Very true :laugh:
  7. Drtooth

They couldn't afford Henson that time, or Henson didn't want to do it or something.

I dunno. I'm in the rare camp that actually likes TMNT III over the second one. I mean, the first film was a respectable dramatic action film with comedic overtones. I can't be the only one that got misty eyed those times when Splinter was presumed dead, and the turtles slunk back sadly to April's, Leo sees Splinter in a vision, and when they all see a vision of him by the campfire, causing them all to dramatically bow their heads and choke back tears (after Mikey's gag about the Marshmallows and Raph's "this is stupid" reaction no less). The second, while it had some good moments in it, was cartoony and trying too hard to be the cartoon series it wasn't, all the while shoving Vanilla Ice in there as a contractual obligation. It was like a Family Guy Conway Twitty cutaway... it went to long and it broke the story and disbelief. But unlike Family Guy, it was played straight! The whole second film was one big toy commercial. And it had the same sliding scale of excellent to meh as Men in Black 2 did.

Whereas the third film, while not as good as the first, felt like a legitimate Mirage comics storyline. Just without Rene the timelord (the film would have been awesome if that happened). Not to mention Casey is back, instead of the random martial arts guy, and Sab Shimono's in the film and he's really good in everything he's in (especially Jackie Chan Adventures). But it gets back to the dramatic/comedic balance the first film had (just not quite as well done or successful).

I still don't get the hatedom of the fourth film. It's not quite as good as the first one, I'll give it that... but like I said, second film was a failed attempt to become the cartoon, and the third had that time travelly stuff... The fourth film played out like a Tales of the TMNT side comic, and thankfully spared us another Shredder revenge plot (also why the second film wasn't that great. Tim Burton did right by killing off the Joker in Batman so we got to see other villains). The problem is, it was the establishmental film that was to have spawned a big sequel, but Peter Laird and Imagi couldn't agree to a basic plotline (Imagi and Warners wanted a wacky/cartoony plot and thankfully that film was never made). And then the license ended, and considering Astroboy was the last film they did before everything folded for Imagi, I don't think the film would have been completed at all.
  8. heralde

Trust me, you're not the only one. :)

I agree that given the choice, I'd watch the third film before the second film (I admit, I loved Corey Feldman as Donatello, lol). The third film had some good ideas it was just written atrociously, lol.
  9. robodog

robodog Active Member

Those scenes choked me up too. And it's rare I get choked up during a movie.

Though I do prefer the second film I enjoyed the third film. It had it's faults but it wasn't really as bad as most people say. Probably could have used some better villains though. The only problem I had was when I went to see it I ended up in a theatre full of people who refused to shut up.

This is the first I'm hearing about the fourth film being disliked. No it wasn't as good as the first but it was still pretty good.
  10. heralde

It's one of those things where you're just so shocked and disappointed the first time you see it that you refuse to see it again for years and really build it up in your mind as "this. was. awful!" Then when you finally try watching it again you realize it's not as bad as you've build it up to be (though it's still pretty bad, hehe).
  11. robodog

robodog Active Member

It's not a great film by any means, but it's the Turtles and I have a hard time hating anything Turtles related.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  12. heralde

::GASP:: Even the Coming Out of Our Shells Tour video?
  13. robodog

robodog Active Member

I've never seen it but I've heard it's pretty much cringeworthy. That and the Turtle Christmas video. Without seeing them I can't really judge them, but even if they were as bad as I heard I still couldn't hate them.
  14. heralde

From what I've seen of the Coming Out of Our Shells Tour, yeah it's silly, but it's fun for nostalgic purposes. It was nice to be reminded of a time when TMNT was everywhere. :)

And the show's not so subtle "just say no" message is still kind of inspiring today.
  15. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

There's a lot to cover here, so I'll break it up over a few posts and do it a very little at a time, lol.
    First though, a question that's been bugging me for a while. Why is it that no one seems to like the 3rd movie? I mean yes, it was a random story that came out of nowhere, but I thought it was pretty good! A lot of juicy drama mixed with some humor! Maybe it wasn't perfect, and the scenes with those guys who were sent into the future to replace the turtles were weird, especially when Casey got involved lol, but the rest I thought was great!
  16. heralde

I think the idea behind the story was fine, I just didn't think the writers followed Screenwriting 101. It was sloppy and all over the place, typical of a sequel.
  17. Drtooth

I agree with herald. The script needed work. Having it come out when the Turtles were starting to get displaced in pop culture because of the other martial arts action teenager team that popped up at that time. But, storywise, it was a much better and stronger presence than the second film. The second was just a sloppy revenge plot with an at the moment pop star shoved in for no reason. They also wanted to hint at the comic's origin. The professor's chest plate would have opened up, and an Utrom was supposed to be revealed, but A) money... and B) the cartoon was popular at that point (which is why this movie was screwed up in the first place), and kids would have thought "Krang."

But Anything's better than what was leaked with the A-Bay-mination. It seems like his usual trolling people into a false sense of fan security with references and nuggets, before kicking them squarely in the you know where with his usual craptasticness.
  18. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I've seen that. I wanted to see that concert so bad, back then too. I remember them being on Oprah too.
    heralde and Fragglemuppet like this.
  19. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

I liked Coming Out of Their Shells as well, which I only just saw last year on youtube. Yes, a lot of it was kinda silly, but it was fun, and some of the songs were good. Pizza Power wasn't one of my favorites, I forget which ones I liked now, but it was still okay. I must say it was a lot better than the Christmas special, and even that was better than the other singalong for little kids they did!
  20. Drtooth

Actually, Pizza Power is the only song I really liked. The others were ehhh....

I saw the Christmas special. Don't watch the Christmas special. I keep reading how everyone thinks such and such killed their childhood (the most overused phrase on the net), but that pretty much did for me. And I refuse to say that otherwise.

Why didn't the real 1980's TMNT have a real Christmas special? That would get a lot of playback at my house. I missed my opportunity to get the 2k3 one.