1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on Leo. He is without question the best fighter out of all the turtles, and has more discipline, focus, and training than any of the others. Raph is distracted by his anger and rogue attitude, Don is distracted by his love of technology, and Mikey is distracted by the huge bags of weed he must be smoking 24/7. While it may seem like Leo has less personality than the others, it's just that he's too disciplined to let down his guard for even a second and take up any hobby that may distract from his sworn duty as the Turtles' leader.
  2. robodog

robodog Active Member

Some of my best childhood memories revolve around the TMNT. I saw the first movie in theatres four times. I collected the toys, played the games and watched the cartoon religiously. When the first movie came out K-Mart had a promotion at their grill where you could get a TMNT water bottle with the purchase of a large Coke. My mom worked at K-Mart at the time and many was the day she'd come home with one of those bottles filled with ice cold coke for me. I had tons of them. Coke just seemed to taste better when drank out of a bottle with Michelangelo's picture on it.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  3. DramaQueenMokey

DramaQueenMokey Well-Known Member

I think the fact that Leo never lets his guard down is what makes him awesome to me, though, there's always that once in a blue moon chance he lets his guard down and WHAM! He learns not to do it again, which is too bad because its always nice to seem him having fun now but, its true, he has to the responsible one and look out for his bros. Don might be the glue that holds them together (and ultimately keeps Leo and Raph from killing each other), but, Leo is the one who takes responsibility, who puts what's best before his own needs and doesn't ever seem to stray from that.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

My, this is quite interesting... apparently the script for Teenage Mutated by Michael Bay Turtle-aliens from Dimension X was leaked, and big details about the film were released... and fears were realized.

Seems that the first half of the movie, unfortunately Michael Bay was right about. It has a lot of Fan nuggets and that would have delighted fans, no doubt. They even threw in Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang.

Then things go from Michael Bay was right to Michael Bay is an absolute Internet troll of a movie personality, even as a producer. The script goes from happy little fan service to... well... the very darkest form of bait and switch there is. The most family friendly thing I can liken it to is being handled a brown bar and then told, "Oh, I didn't say it was chocolate!" (if that's not family friendly enough...eh... the bar is carob. Actually that almost makes it worse)

Now, from the sound of it, all they need to do to not screw it up is to get rid of the whole turtles being a race from Dimension X bit, putting the Neutrinos (or Utroms)in their place, and have that be the source of the turtles' mutation. But other than that, sounds like the sci-fi aspect is played a little too high and clumsily.

TMNT has always been Sci-Fi heavy, and the turtles were almost always mutated by the machinations of "alien" races...

TMNT Comics and 2k3: the same chemical jar that fell out of the back of a truck that hit Marvel's Daredevil rebounded off him and hit a bunch of turtles that fell into the sewer with Hamato Yoshi's pet rat Splinter... this chemical was a byproduct of the Utroms trying to build a transporter, though there's differences in the 2l3 series... TMNT 87: The mutagen was supplied by Krang along with various other Dimension X technologies... IDW comics: Krang sent over mutagen to Baxter Stockman to help develop a superior race of soldiers, the four turtles and Splinter, reincarnations of Hamato Yoshi and his four sons killed by Shredder, were the test subjects... the second movie had something in the script, that was obviously taken out before filming, where one of the TGRI employees gets hit in the chest revealing an opening chest plate and an Utrom.

But I agree with Laird. Junk the whole thing and start over. Though I'm mixed with his annoyance that Bebop and Rocksteady are there.
    DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  5. Scooterforever

6. DramaQueenMokey

DramaQueenMokey Well-Known Member

Amen to that!
  7. Drtooth

I don't see why no one wants to take a cue from the fact that there's hundreds of other Comic Book movies out there and make a TMNT film the actual origin (well, before the whole Utrom thing), and do one where it starts with Baxter Stockman and the Mousers and having that tie into them facing Shredder.
  8. Scooterforever

Because it's Hollywood, Dr.Tooth. They almost never take the sensible approach;).

On another note, I hope someday they have a Daredevil/ TMNT team-up, given the fact that the original TMNT comic was partly inspired by Frank Miller's take on Daredevil, and also Daredevil is my all-time fav superhero. I'm sure there's already some DD/ TMNT fanfics out there.
  9. Drtooth

The original movie, more or less, was the origin story. There was no way they would have had the budget or time in the movie for mousers, Baxter, or scientist April , but more or less followed a specific story arc in the manner fitting a 90 minute movie. Condensed with a lot of things changed to fit the plot, but still basically telling the same/similar story.

Plus, as far as the actual origin goes, it did the right thing by telling the origin in flashback form, being in present day in the middle of a story. Too many superhero movies suffer from origin story happening in real time (cough cough... Green Lantern cough).

The second one tried to be the cartoon series, the third one felt like one of the weird filler stories in the middle of the comic, and the last film seemed like a Tales of the TMNT sort of story (a stand alone kind of disconnected to the rest of the series). Actually... I loved the fourth one. It was the best TMNT film since the first.
  10. Scooterforever

Yeah, I loved the fourth one too. It seemed like the first time the Leo v. Raph dynamic really came to a head, at least outside of the comics. Also, given that Shredder is their main antagonist for most of the films, it was interesting to see them fighting someone else for once, even if parts of the plot seemed like 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.
  11. Drtooth

That's what bugs me about the second film. They have a very impressive rouge's gallery through out their different incarnations, and they just wanted the second film to be a revenge plot with the iconic villain. The fourth film was the ONLY time they ever fought one of their other comic book villains, Karai (who incidentally DOES take on the mantle of The Shredder, but not in that film). I especially like how they didn't explain her beef with the turtles and is introduced with a mutual "YOU!!"

As for the TMNT franchise, it seems that everyone just wants to be shackled to the 1980's cartoon and everything has to be based completely on that. While it would be fun to see Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang in the movie, I'd rather see something worthy of the batch of comic book movies we've seen recently. Something in the vein of the good ones Marvel puts out. Something that doesn't take itself too seriously, but doesn't have too much fun to the point where everything's utterly ridiculous. I think they can if they get a new script and a new, non-megalomaniac, egotistical, talentless producer. However, a dreadful though occurred to me. A new TMNT film demands a PG-13 rating. But I suspect Nick wants a cleaner, safer PG.
  12. Scooterforever

As much as I would like a gritty PG-13 TMNT film based on the original comic book, it's not going to happen in a million billion years, because after the huge success of the 80's cartoon 99.9% of people think of the Turtles as being a kiddie franchise. The 80's cartoon is sort of a double-edged sword, or whatever you want to call it, in that it made the Turtles super-popular, not to mention I and millions of others likely wouldn't even know who they were without it, but the cartoon also destroyed the edginess the Turtles had in the original B&W comics. I didn't even know TMNT was originally based on a comic book until I was almost twenty:eek:, a decade and a half after obsessing over them during my childhood.
  13. robodog

robodog Active Member

That's true. Nickelodeon's in charge now and there's no way they'd let a new Turtles film be PG-13. Any chances of a more dark and gritty film went down the tubes the second Nick bought the rights.
  14. Drtooth

TELL me about it! I love the cartoon and all, but that's like forever making Batman campy because more people remember the 60's series. The cartoon did a LOT of damage to the original comic's image. They're associated with Cowabunga and Pizza when the original comic turtles ate Chinese food more than anything. Not to mention the Flanderization that adults and poor marketing did to the characters. They're apparently all like Mikey's 80's personality. And I HATE the rock band... except that Pizza Power is actually pretty good. Though there is a lot they could try with PG. Speed Racer got a LOT of crap in there that would make it a PG-13 film. Spritle flipped someone off at some point. The old TMNT films were PG, but they'd clearly be PG-13 today.

Well, in the case of the other Nickelodeon live action cartoon film, M. Night Shamalan's completely massacred Avatar: The Last Airbender film was so dark and gritty that it forgot the show was actually funny a lot of the time.

But here's what bugged me about the TMNT movie Nick was making. I thought that it was going to be another Jimmy Neutron/Barnyard (or in the case of another Network, Clone Wars) deal where they'd make an elaborate animated theatrical movie to introduce the characters, and the series would go on from there. I'm shocked and a little disappointed that wasn't the case.
  15. robodog

robodog Active Member

I don't know. The first one would probably be PG-13 but I don't think the other two have anything that would warrant a rating higher than PG.

As for making a Jimmy Neutron/barnyard style animated introduction movie they probably figure they'll make more money with a live action film. The animated TMNT movie didn't exactly flop but it really didn't make a lot of money either. In making it live action, Nick's probably hoping for a Transformers level success story. Say what you will about the Transformers movies but they made a LOT of cash.
  16. Drtooth

Actually, that was the original plan at one point. This was back when they just bought it and rumors were surfacing about the series. But that's correct. They would rather a disconnected series of films that are live action, similar how the original film was completely disconnected from the cartoon series. The last TMNT movie pretty much seemed like a CGI, theatrical, Californian voiced OVA of the current cartoon series (to the point where Karai isn't formally introduced to the audience that didn't bother to follow the newer series). I really wish it didn't just have one strong week, and it wasn't clobbered by the lousy Blades of Glory film, and then destroyed by Disney's Meet the Robinsons (which is a great film in its own right).

While the Transformers films do make a lot of money (usually from people who think "Nah, the next installment's got to be better! It HAS to be!"), they're unsatisfying on a whole. I'd rather they go a different direction, even if it's still live action. Something more comic based and less nostalgia fanservice to cover up the multiple flaws in the project.

I just hope when a movie happens we don't have a Transformers situation with the merchandise. Like how Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime kept getting screwed out of merchandise because the retailers wanted movie merchandise. The TMNT Fast Forward line (which they supposedly say "sold poorly") was purposely pushed aside for Movie Merchandise, and that lead to the downfall of the toy line. And we lost a LOT of good FF toys because of it. There was a President Bishop and I think there was also a Gangster Triceriton. The new series toys are already out, and pretty good looking. I'd hate to see them kill that line. I remember they managed to make the TMNT 2 and 3 movie figures blend in with the regular action figure line.
  17. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I've been in such a random TMNT mood lately. Ever since I've seen the 2009(?) TMNT on the premium channels. I didn't think that movie was very good. However, I feel like watching that 2003 verison cartoon and the old 1987's. I'm aware of the new Nickelodeon verison. I'll watch it. But it already looks cheesy made.

My question is why is the story always seem like the same? Leo and Ralph (Raph?) always seem to have a fight and Ralph ends up leaving for a while.
  18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah it was brilliantly done in the original movie but now it's just getting old, lol. I mean I understand they want a new audience but I'd still tell those kids to see the original movie! Lol

And I still haven't gotten past how creepy the new turtles look. There's just something unsettling about their facial movements for some reason, lol.
  19. Drtooth

Because it happened in the comic books, and it was integral in introducing Casey Jones. The movie was sort of based around the comic book story and so wasn't the 2k3 series. So they told that one three times. Though, I continue to think the only TMNT storyline that really got old was Shredder and Krang trying to steal alien technology from cartoonish aliens. They even brought one of those alien groups back for a sequel episode.

I don't see that any different than them telling the same story of Peter Parker getting bit by a radioactive spider or the Fantastic Four going into space and getting bombarded by cosmic radiation.

Though the new comic series has an interesting twist. Raphael was lost when they were mutating.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess that's true. Though even some Spiderman fans complained about yet another version of the origin story being put on film. I mean move on already! Lol

Cool, that at least is a new idea.