Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street too complex?
Yep. She said it was too complex. But considering the results being a cloyingly diabetic, banal, budget produced joke of a show, it should come as no surprise.

Only thing keeping Barney going is Hit entertainment. I'm surprised he's not a CGI like all of Hit's other properties now. More disturbing? People like him nostalgically.

robodog

Reaction score
Wow. I always figured nostalgia could only take you so far. There are plenty of things I loved as a kid that I now realize were utter crap. Some of those things I still kind of enjoy due to the nostalgia factor or the fact that it's so bad it's good. Barney just doesn't strike me as a show with even that kind of potential.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I don't see Barney heading into obscurity unfortunately... it's STILL on today (as in producing new episodes), and it seems like every few years or so, they keep adding new characters into the mix: y'know back in the day, it was just Barney, with an occasional appearance from Baby Bop, or that yellow dinosaur whose name escapes me, then it seems like at one point they added a bunch of Muppet-esque puppet characters like a bird, a worm, a squirrel, and others, and I think they have yet another new full bodied dinosaur I don't know, I don't pay too much attention.
Yeah, they added an orange dinosaur a few years back. The puppets, however, were dropped after a few seasons. It's kind of a shame, because they were actually somewhat interesting/entertaining characters. Can't say the same about the rest of the show.

SSLFan

Reaction score
The orange Dino Is "cousin Riff". The yellow one is BJ. Riff, IMO was so pointless in bringing on the show. Though honestly, the show should've just died when Bob West retired as Barneys voice.

Sorry, I'm one of the kids of the "Barney generation", lol. And yes I confess to being nostalgic at times of the show - heck, it was a part of my childhood. It still baffles me Barney & Sesame Street competed though both were on the same network. Shouldn't they have been bringing in the same amount of viewers?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Shouldn't they have been bringing in the same amount of viewers?
Well Barney was a brand new show. Sesame Street had been on for several years and it's hard to maintain that level of consistent success. Plus Sesame Street had lost some of its most valuable performers.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
I'm just wondering if Drtooth was referring to "Troll 2" as the Bad Gremlins Ripoff. See the Rifftrax version, and then check out the documentary made about the cult status of the so-horrible-it's-fun (note I did not say GOOD) flick. Here's to gooey green stuff! May they migrate over and eat the oogies and all other cheesy kids'-franchise-wannabes!

--------------

dwmckim

Reaction score
Sesame Street IS too complex! For a show that supposedly teaches basic math skills, i still can't figure out how Maria's gone from a teen to a grown woman with an adult child while Big Bird is still six years old.

I never did understand "fuzzy math"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if Drtooth was referring to "Troll 2" as the Bad Gremlins Ripoff. See the Rifftrax version, and then check out the documentary made about the cult status of the so-horrible-it's-fun (note I did not say GOOD) flick. Here's to gooey green stuff! May they migrate over and eat the oogies and all other cheesy kids'-franchise-wannabes!
Nah... it's either Creatures or Critters or something like that. It's one of the movies digital channel "This TV" runs endlessly. The creatures look like refugees from some Monster in My Pocket type toyline. They're actually cute for one thing. Not even close to grotesque.

Well Barney was a brand new show. Sesame Street had been on for several years and it's hard to maintain that level of consistent success. Plus Sesame Street had lost some of its most valuable performers.
Exactly. It was the shiny new thing and people loved it because it was shiny and new. Though I don't see why it was in direct competition for being on the same network. That's like Seinfeld being in competition with Friends. Dora, sure... it's on another network. Kids I know who watched that miserable purple sponge suit also watched Sesame Street in the same capacity. I hate how it's desperately clinging to a shred of relevance, though. As I said with the Oogielove movie, the era of the big cheap suit is over. There's Yo Gabba Gabba, but that show survives by the inherent hipness of the concept, the guests, and the retro-Japanese kids show designs. It was created by one of the dudes from Devo, I hear. But, as much as I hate Dora and Superwhy (but will admit to LOVING Wow Wow Wubzy), preschool programming is moving more towards animation than live action.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now Oogieloves is only playing in 8 theaters nationwide. What I want to know is, where are they still playing this? :confused: