When you need to rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wrote my post too quickly; I wanted to say there are no good traditional format sitcoms out there today. The mockumentary/flashback style shows are the only ones doing great (unless you want to count It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia); I love Parks and Recreation. But the traditional format sitcom is floundering, and it stuns me that production companies and networks could have so much trouble getting something together that they have done since 1946.
Oh yeah. I like how Sitcoms became more like 30 minute films. Especially Raising Hope.. I'm kinda disappointed they had to sacrifice My Name is Earl for that, but it's become one of my favorite shows. Especially since it deals exclusively in consequences and owning up to them.

The only person that even has a handle on classic style sitcoms is Chuck Lorre. Once they stopped dealing exclusively in fat jokes in the pilot episode, Mike and Molly has easily become one of the sweetest things on television. Though, I'm kinda worried about them marrying off at the end of the second season. But if it means we get to see a relationship grow before our eyes, it's almost revolutionary.

But stuff like Partners and Whitney... it's gag, laugh track, gag, laugh track, gag, laugh track...that's not how sitcoms are supposed to work. There's supposed to be substance to one liners. Even ALF had more substance in his than Whitney does.

Though I ponder this... how come Whitney's own sitcom sucks so bad, but 2 Broke Girls is actually pretty good? I swear, if there's one show I thought I'd hate last year, it was that, but I really like it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dislike the whole mockumentary style for sitcoms... sure, it works well for films, because documentaries are usually films themselves, but trying to bring that concept to television, it's just not a good marriage of two different things right there...

Matter of fact, I wish the television industry would stop trying to make TV more like movies in general anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Matter of fact, I wish the television industry would stop trying to make TV more like movies in general anyway.
Yeah, but they make movies look more and more like TV shows. Ever catch anything from Walden Media? How do they get anything made theatrically when 90% of their stuff looks like cheap cable movies from the 90's?

mo

Reaction score
(Facepalm)

Yeah... CN booted the reality TV shows that NO ONE liked and no one asked for... but it's going downhill because they refuse to air 15 year old cartoons.
it is called cartoon network for a reason, when are they going to get the point!

Drtooth

Reaction score
it is called cartoon network for a reason, when are they going to get the point!
They got rid of most of their live action programming. The reality stuff specifically, which no one liked wanted or even watched. It took them forever to get rid of "Dude, What would Happen," and when they did, there was much rejoicing. Other than Level Up (which something tells me, isn't going to last much longer), the only live action programming is adult swim sitcoms.

They finally returned to animated programming, and people are still whining that it's not reruns of Dexter's Lab.

mo

Reaction score
They got rid of most of their live action programming. The reality stuff specifically, which no one liked wanted or even watched. It took them forever to get rid of "Dude, What would Happen," and when they did, there was much rejoicing. Other than Level Up (which something tells me, isn't going to last much longer), the only live action programming is adult swim sitcoms.

They finally returned to animated programming, and people are still whining that it's not reruns of Dexter's Lab.
I hope they put on more of their older programming, It's sad that some kids arent able to see good cartoons, but I kinda like adventure time for some reason.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Mini rant-

I HATE IT when people whine and complain about channels not showing "good" cartoons. "Good" is really subjective. There are a lot of "good" 90s shows that I cannot stand. Like Angry Beavers. I really don't like the show that much. I'm also not a fan of Nick's live action shows. I;m not trying to attack anyone personally, it's just a huge peeve of mine. Probably ranking just under "I'm X years old and I watch Y"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mini rant-

I HATE IT when people whine and complain about channels not showing "good" cartoons. "Good" is really subjective. There are a lot of "good" 90s shows that I cannot stand. Like Angry Beavers. I really don't like the show that much. I'm also not a fan of Nick's live action shows. I;m not trying to attack anyone personally, it's just a huge peeve of mine. Probably ranking just under "I'm X years old and I watch Y"
YES! YES to all of that! Well... except Angry Beavers... I really like that one. Good is extremely subjective. The point is, you have to watch a little bit of everything to get a good feel for it. And I hate the fact matter of taste dictates that a show is good or bad. There are many factors that contribute to true awful that everyone can agree on. And often times, true awful is so bad it's good (Clutch Cargo, again).

And like I've said a thousand times, every generation thinks that... they even praise cartoons that actually are terrible, like Maxie's World. Yeah.... the preachy Barbie knockoff with the worst animation I've ever seen.

Seriously.. it's not that they don't make "good" cartoons anymore. They don't make your favorite show anymore, and as a bunch of TV shows can tell you (Family Guy and Simpsons for example) they don't even make your favorite shows like they used to. Hey... a non-extreme example. Powerpuff Girls season 6.