Five Ball Cha-Cha

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
I forgot the vid for Kermit and Piggy's song, but I figured I'd save that for when they actually perform said song.

This one is the song Robin is going to be singing first -

Robin's second song is "Talk to Me" by Sunny & the Sunliners. This is the song that both Kermit and Piggy are a bit concerned about.

Enjoy!

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Man, piggy needed a snickers.

More please!
That was hilarity! Yes, I think Piggy gets most snarky when she has not had a snickers. A little like Joe Pesci actually.

More, you say! Well, here you go! Here's the first part of chap 8, which is probably gonna be long cause, I gots a show to do here!!!

VIII

“It’s the Muppet Show’s Valentine’s Day Special! YAAAY!

The familiar logo of the Muppet Show rose into the air, as the red curtain opened to reveal the white and gold arches. The arches, however, had been decorated in flowery fare, with several roses and vines being looped around the pillars and hearts plastered strategically throughout.

Backstage, the normal run for the stairs that the performers took in order to reach their designated spots was in progress, causing several traffic jams as people tried to cut ahead or were left behind in the mad rush. Gonzo, who not only played the opening theme’s final notes but was also the first one up that night, had quickly changed into his outfit, one of the holdovers he held from his successful plumbing business.

Dark blue was his color that night, with a double-breasted vest to match his pants, which went over a dark and silken grey dress shirt. He even threw in a matching dark blue tie to blend everything together.

Camilla thought he looked good, maybe a little too good because their shenanigans had caused him to be late for the initial ‘run on the rafters’, as they called it. As he hurried to try and get in front of the line, he hadn’t realized he was passing by an impatient Piggy, whose mouth dropped at seeing him. “As I live and breathe,” she gasped. “You’re wearing a suit.”

Never one to let Piggy actually have the last word, Gonzo quickly turned, quirking his eyebrow at him. “Always the tone of surprise,” he smirked. So used to seeing Gonzo wear some of the most outlandish and blindingly colorful outfits, it was rare for Piggy to see him in anything other than that, even if she was aware that he had run a successful business for several years.

And in running said successful business, the weirdo was usually required to look the part, and that meant spending the cash to be as stylish as possible.

“I take it you like the suit?”

“I hate to admit it,” the diva replied, brushing off a few stray pieces of lint from his vest. “But you actually clean up well. For a weirdo.”

“Was that a compliment?” Gonzo asked, chuckling. “I must be dead.” Looking around, he turned back to the pig and asked, “But why are you still dressed?”

“And just like Link entering a scene,” she retorted. “You’ve gone and ruined it.”

“Can’t let you get too comfortable,” he joked, turning away to try and catch up with the crowd. “What would the wife say?”

“The what?”

The blue weirdo had almost been home free when his mouth had run off without him. Again. Turning abruptly to find the diva disturbingly close and glaring at him with abandon, he stuttered, “Uh, the…the knife…er….um…the rife…fill…what did I say?”

“Wife.”

“Let’s pretend I didn’t say that, okay?” he said. “Okay!” He turned to go, but Piggy’s tight grip on his arm prevented any hasty escape he wanted.

“Oh my gosh,” she gasped. “You went and had a secret marriage to…to…I don’t even know! Who is she? Do I know her?”

Gonzo gaped at her. Upset, he expected; mad as all get out, he was ready for; complete cluelessness stunned him. “Are you…?” he asked, incredulously. “Who else do you think it could be!?” Once reason and sanity returned, mentally and physically smacked himself.

So much for trying to keep this quiet.

“And just how many people are aware of this?” she growled.

“Well, the principles,” the weirdo began. “Obviously. Scooter and now you, because obviously I can’t seem to keep my big mouth shut.”

Piggy continued to glare at him, her lips drawn in a tight line. “You invited Scooter to your wedding and not me?”

“We didn’t invited anyone to our wedding,” he stressed. “And this, right here, was the very reason we didn’t. I knew you were going to be upset.”

“Upset?” Piggy questioned. Granted, she was a bit annoyed that Gonzo hadn’t invited them, but the way he made it sound, it seemed as though he thought she was going to throw a giant tantrum about it.

“Look,” the weirdo said, sternly. “I gotta be on stage in like five minutes, so if you’re going to hurt me, be quick about it. And don’t ruin my suit; this happens to be my favorite.”

Piggy looked at the daredevil, incredulously. That went from complete surprise to a bit of hurt. If she thought what he had, she could understand wanting to avoid any type of disagreements, especially on his wedding day. And Piggy completely understood that! But the fact that he would think that she would disregard the wedding of two of her best friends was not only astounding, but also little heartbreaking.

“Gonzo,” she began. “How long have we known each other?”

“Millennia,” he deadpanned. This was the conversation they were going to have? Two minutes before the actual start of the show? “Is there a point to this?”

“Do you really think so little of me, of the both of us, that we wouldn’t be the least bit happy for you?”

Gonzo had to admit he was surprised at the tone of sadness in her voice when she asked. Maybe the anger he had been feeling at Kermit, at the entire Muppet situation, had made him a bit biased and even a little blind. Pulling her with him as he headed to the stage, he whispered, “You know I don’t think that, but I didn’t want anything to ruin her day. She deserves so much more than I could probably ever give her, but she definitely deserved a day without us all bickering between us.

“This isn’t easy for me. Obviously, I would love to run around, declaring that the sweetest chicken on Earth was married to me, but I can’t and you know precisely why. Besides, you’re not the kind of girl who wants or deserves to have to hide her marriage because of state law. I know that and Kermit knows that.”

They didn’t have enough time to go into a deeper conversation and if they weren’t careful, they’d miss their marks. The diva nodded, agreeing to his assessment, as well as the fact that she understood his position. Neither she nor Camilla were the types to be happy about hiding happiness, unless it was absolutely necessary.

And in that regard, Camilla was a better woman than she.

“Despite everything that’s holy,” she started. “You actually manage to make sense every once in a while.”

“Boy, you’re good,” he quipped. “I didn’t even notice a grimace on your part.”

The two began to make their final path destinations, with Piggy heading towards the near center platform, while Gonzo headed for the Muppet Show sign. “Gonzo.”

“Yeah?”

“Congratulations,” she whispered, a small smile on her face. “And yes, I do mean that.”

The weirdo returned the smile. He knew she was sincere in her sentence and he was going to make sure that the next wedding in their motely group would have her center stage. “Next time, Princess,” he said. “I’ll let you give me away.”

“Moi tried doing that once,” she retorted. “And even when offered money, the Gypsies still wouldn’t take you.”

“I’m too much for them.”

“You’re too much for me.”

“I knew you loved me. How long have you been keeping this from the frog?”

Shaking a finger at him, signaling that he would probably get it later, the two rushed to their places, with probably one minute to spare.

“Cutting it a little close,” the frog muttered, from his place at the center arch. “Where’ve you been?”

“Having an interesting conversation with Gonzo.”

“Tell me about it later,” he whispered, smiling quickly as he took his part in the opening theme.

The group sang their final verse, with both Fozzie and Kermit hurrying out of the way as the Muppet Show sign rolled down, with Gonzo in his customary place at the Show’s ‘o’. The frog, who had taken cover within Piggy’s own area, was happy to watch the opening in contentment.

That week’s gag, which had little hearts fly out of Gonzo’s trumpet and what sounded like harp music coming from the bell, was quickly overshadowed when Piggy whispered in his ear. Turning stunned eyes on her, he mouthed, “Without inviting us!?”

[hr]

Earlier

Amanda usually tried to get to the theater to beat the crowds as they entered the auditorium for the show. Watching the show from the audience, especially when she knew what could normally happen backstage, was always interesting. Acts that didn’t work out were sometimes called in to fill in those acts, which had been previously been solid, easily dissolve into madness.

Sometimes, in the case of Vet’s Hospital, the madness actually helped to make the sketch funnier, especially to those in the actual sketch.

As always with the new show, Bobo the Bear stood at the ready by the theater door, nodding to those walking in. He would give a reprimand everyone in a while to those he thought being unruly, but in most cases he really was just a big, lovable teddy bear. Amanda always liked seeing Bobo, the bear reminding her a bit of her uncle, and he was certainly fond of her, always stopping her to start a conversation.

“Hey Big Bo,” she replied, as she came upon the security guard.

“Oh hey, Mandy Pandy, how are you?” the bear greeted, giving the Whatnot a bear hug that was more than just a simple bear hug.

“I’m good,” she giggled. “And you? How’s the fam?”

“Oh, they’re great!” the bear replied. “Dora says hi and loved that homemade chicken soup you made her. She ate the whole thing!”

“Well good,” the red head said. “As she should. I hope she’s feeling better then.”

“Right as rain, that one,” Bobo announced. “Oh! Before I forget!” The large bear began to search his pockets, frantically looking for something before a light seemed to come over his head. Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled out a neatly folded letter. “Scooter wanted me to give that to you,” he said, handing her the note.

Winking, he whispered. “I think he likes you.”

This was a running gag between them, with Bobo stating to her that the stage manager may have a crush on her. She was pretty sure that the bear was aware that the two were dating, but if he didn’t, she didn’t want to shatter the illusion that he was trying to fix the two of them up.

“I certainly hope so,” she chuckled, taking the note and giving the bear a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “The hug is for you and the kiss is for Dora. Happy Valentine’s Day.”

The bear chuckled, ducking his head in a bit of embarrassment. “You too there, Amanda. Enjoy the show. Hey! Hey you kids! No shenanigans!”

Amanda made her way through the auditorium doors and down the aisle in order to take the seat that she normally did – center section, in about the fourth or fifth row, with a seat that was close to the center of the stage as she could. She found that this was usually the best area for her to see the entire show and, with the hope, that Scooter would be able to see her should he decide to perform again.

During the times when she was able to see some of their rehearsals, she had been the willing audience member that participated in showing her approval or disapproval of those on stage. Scooter had once told her that, even with the house lights down, he could easily see her from stage. That of course started a discussion on the fact that she would love to see him on stage from time to time.

Taking her place and seat, the Whatnot unfolded the letter, wondering what Scooter needed to tell her that couldn’t wait until they finally saw each other.

Amanda,

First, Happy Valentine’s Day! And second, happy anniversary! I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’ve been…I’ve been a bit distracted lately and yes, you’ve been the culprit (naughty girl!). You see, I’ve been thinking a lot about you lately and I’ve been trying to find the words to tell you how you make me feel and how happy you make me.

I’ve basically been trying to tell you how I feel about you and honestly, I’ve been at a loss on how to do exactly that.

I managed to strong arm my way into the show tonight (strong arm might be a bit harsh; more like ‘asked Kermit politely and he said yes’ probably works better) and it’s not much, but I’m hoping that the songs I’m singing will make you understand my feelings for you.

Come by backstage when the show’s over and I’ll…I’ll try my best to further explain.

SG

Amanda sat back in her chair, her heart racing in giddy anticipation. She hadn’t known what Scooter was planning, but she had planning dinner at her apartment and then telling him that she was in love with him. And maybe showing him how much she did. She had to be honest with herself; she had thought perhaps that was what he had been trying to tell her, but she hadn’t wanted to get her hopes up.

She had thought that once before, with Robbie Corso, only to be devastated that what he had been trying to do was break up with her. Amanda was about 90% sure that Scooter wasn’t going to break up with her, but she was going to try to be as calm and as rational as she possibly could. But she couldn’t help but be giddy! It was a Valentine’s Day show and assuming that the Muppets would do more love than loss songs, she could only think Scooter had gone with love.

Hopefully.

Either way, she was eagerly looking forward to it.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Here's the beginning of chapter nine before I start my work day. It's the show you've been waiting for!

IX

“Hi ho! And welcome to our Muppet Show Valentine’s Day special!”

The crowd for the Muppet Show was large, perhaps larger than the audience they could usually expected in the old show days. There had been a huge effort in making sure that the fans were aware that they were putting on a show for them and that the show would be an hour long. If thirty minutes of hi-jinks didn’t wet their appetites, certainly sixty minutes would.

“I am your lovable host, Kermit the Frog,” the amphibian introduced. “And we are quite proud to present this testament of love and sometimes loss on this day meant for, well, the lovers, the dreamers, and you, our wonderful fans.” The audience applauded loudly in delight.

“But first, our very own Gonzo the Great will demonstrate through song his feelings on this day and reminds us why we never let him shop at the department store by himself.”

“Frog’s a laugh a minute, isn’t he?” Gonzo muttered. He, his chickens, his back up dancers, and his platform were already behind the curtain to kick off this show in style. The weirdo heard his chickadee chuckle behind him, just as the music to “Electric Barbarella” started up.

Hurrying backstage, Kermit wasn’t the least bit surprised to see that pandemonium was happening. Acts were trying to do last minute rehearsals, while others were trying to get ready, while others were trying to stay out of the way, or were getting in the way.

“So I told him, I don’t care who you think you are, your hand doesn’t go there!”

“Come on, Cheesy! It’s left, right, kick, kick! How many times do we have to go over this?”

“Is that skit for the Mamas and Papas set up?”

“It should be ready to go by the end of the first act.”

“Andrew, stand still.”

“Bunsen, we’re moving you and Beaker to the first half.”

“Who’re we moving down?”

“Walter. He’s been drinking lemonade all day and hadn’t realized his pucker was tart.”

“I’m going to give you a tart pucker if you don’t stop moving.”

“Piggy, I need help!”

“I told you to wait your turn, Bear.”

“Kermit, I’m thinking about doing a more dramatic version of my song tonight.”

“You mean you’re actually going to sing in key? That is dramatic.”

“I know that’s jealousy talking, First Mate Piggy.”

“Andrew, stop moving!”

“Hey Minion! Go check and see if BD got those flowers in place.”

“Already checked, Boss. In fact, I put them there myself. No worries, Scooter, I’ll make sure your big night goes great!”

“Big night? What big night? Why does Scooter get a big night?”

“Because he actually has brains in his head, unlike you.”

“What exactly are trying to say, Miss Piggy?”

“Cue the Delvish Dancers! Fozzie, you’re on in fifteen.”

“Kermit, I can’t go on! I haven’t gotten my tie tied yet!”

“Mon Cher, please take care of your best friend! Andrew, if I have to tell to stand still one more time, Moi will choke you with this tie.”

And the official start to the show had begun.

[hr]

Amanda sat through the first half of the show, thoroughly enjoying herself as she always did when she came down. Gonzo’s opening song was poppy and weird and probably a bit dangerous with him jumping from those moving platforms, but it was perfectly suited to the blue daredevil and the Whatnot had to admit that the weirdo looked good in a suit.

There was a dancing act after that, with an odd juggling act that followed before Fozzie went on early with his comic routine. And as always, the elder gentlemen who sat up in the balcony were there to harass him, stating that they loved to hate him and hated that he loved them so. It was an funny and ironic statement of a long lasting rivalry that had somehow turned to respectful friendship.

Amanda loved how the show was structured, without the standard program that many theaters would have denoting which acts were on at a certain time. This was probably because, despite all of their planning, the Muppets themselves never knew which acts would be on until they actually made it on stage and even then, they could easily fall apart and be quickly replaced with other.

However at the moment, the red head wished they did a better job at program announcements because the suspense of knowing that Scooter was performing for her, but knowing when was starting to get to her. And just when she thought she was going to go mad with the waiting, the familiar opening of a song she recognized began on stage.

On stage, a peaceful green scenery sat, with a green hill situated in the center. A few silver bells hung around it and a grassy plain that sat in front of it and through this grassy land, coming from stage right, was Scooter. He was dressed in black pants and a black silk shirt, which helped to highlight the red vest and tie that he wore; he was playing a guitar as he came into the stage.

“There were bells, on a hill,” he began, looking behind at the bells on that very hill.

“But I never heard them ringing,

No, I never heard them at all,

Till there was you.

As he walked further through the grass lands that were laid out, a few birds came into view as he began the next verse.

“There were birds, in the sky,

But I never saw them winging,

No, I never saw them at all,

Till there was you.”

Despite being in an audience of at least a few hundred people, Amanda felt as though she was the only one there and that Scooter was singing directly to her. On stage, that was exactly what Scooter was doing. Even with the house lights down so that the stage was easily visible from the seats and those in the balcony, the manager had easily picked out his girlfriend from the crowd as soon as he entered from stage right.

He, Floyd, and Rowlf had planned this entire bit, owing to the fact that no one knew Amanda better than he did. Being in theater, Scooter had of course learned about musical theater, probably more so than he would have if he had taken it himself in high school; because of that he had become very informative on some of the greatest musicals in show business history.

As luck would have it, Amanda enjoyed her own share of musicals, and one of her favorites was that of The Music Man, which had originally starred Robert Preston in the lead role, both on stage and on the big screen. The topic of songs that would help Scooter convey his feelings had somehow gotten on to musicals and that had led to the red head mentioning that not only was The Music Man Amanda’s favorite, but she had always held a special place for the song “Till There Was You”.

It was then that both Rowlf and Floyd mentioned there was a male version of the song that had been done by the Fab Four themselves.

As Scooter sang the chorus, about music and wonderful roses, these very things appeared both in front of him and behind him, all thanks in part of Gonzo’s platform that he had insisted on having. Animal, Floyd, and Janice rose behind him, playing their instruments – though this time Animal was relegated to playing bongos instead of his traditional drums – while Muppet roses grew from the ground in front of him, swaying to the side as they played little flower versions of maracas and keeping in time with the beat. The band behind him had insisted that the song would mean more if he did the guitar solo instead of Janice, though Scooter protested, saying that he wasn’t even that good.

However, as many performers will tell you, sometimes the night of a show and being on that stage can sometimes make you a better performer. Scooter managed to pull off the solo beautifully, without the backup that Janice had promised him.

“Then there was music

And wonderful roses, they tell me

In sweet fragrant meadows

Of dawn and dew

There was love,

All around,

But I never saw it singing,

No I never saw it all,

Till There Was You.”

It had been amazing how the very song he sung actually resonated with him as he learned it and now, performed it. He had been surrounded by love for years and had never truly understood some of its aspects; he could never understand why Camilla could be so attracted to Gonzo and his crazy ideas and stunts; couldn’t understand how someone as nice and sweet as Janice could have anything in common with sarcastic Floyd; and never understood the seductive pull that Kermit and Piggy over each other.

And then he had met Amanda and it all made sense.

And in the audience, as he and the others took their bows, it made sense to her too.

He loved her, too.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
And last but not least, the version that Scooter is singing -

And for those of you that haven't seen at least the movie version of The Music Man (of which I ask you, why not?), here's that version by Shirley Jones (yes, from the Partridge Family) and Robert Preston

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Hey! *looks around* Where is everybody? I've usually gotten about five alerts by now. :stick_out_tongue: Fine. Here's another section of 5 Ball and that's it for today. I have work and school to do.

Things were going as expected on the Muppet Show.

Once again, despite overly planning and scheduling, there was always an act that failed to deliver and needed to be salvaged. That was certainly true when Muppet Labs was on stage. Kermit often wondered why he even bothered to let Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker back on stage with their strange equipment that never worked right, even in rehearsals, but he always did. Perhaps he was a glutton for punishment or maybe he wasn’t as sane as people thought him to be; how else could you explain why he kept letting Gonzo, Fozzie, and various other dangerous and otherwise insane acts on stage every week?

It certainly explained his universal and unbelievable gravitation towards Miss Piggy. In any other circumstance, their romance should have been doomed from the start and really, they both tried their hardest to completely ruin any chances and yet, they just seemed to get closer and closer.

Muppet Labs had nearly demolished the set for Piggy and Rowlf’s number, which of course made the diva a bit irritated. Instead, they swapped that song for the Vet’s Hospital sketch, which Kermit knew they hadn’t bothered to rehearse, so why he thought that was a good idea, he didn’t know. While they waited for cleanup, Kermit had all but pushed Fozzie back out on stage, much to the delight of Statler and Waldorf, to deliver another impromptu monologue.

Fozzie, for once, was totally unprepared to deliver a monologue, but luckily, the bear was quick on his feet. His entire, unscripted set, was helped by his bantering with the elderly men in the balcony, who complained that the bear was using them for entertainment.

“Moonlighting becomes you,” the comic joked, which caused the men to grown.

“It’s horrible!” cried one.

“It’s monstrous!”

“That you should care for me,” the bear sang.

“Leave it to the bear to redeem himself through song,” Piggy muttered.

She stood between both Kermit and Gonzo, impatiently waiting for the cleanup that would allow her and the rest of the staff of Vet’s Hospital to get on stage. “Fozzie’s much better thinking on his feet than he realizes,” the weirdo replied. “Inspired with the song verse, I must say.”

“It does happen to tie in,” Kermit replied, listening to the audience laugh and applaud as the bear came off stage. Leaning around Piggy, the frog said, “Heard you got married during our break.”

Gonzo groaned, before glaring at the diva next to him. “Just had to say something, didn’t you?”

“You never said not to,” she said, heading on to stage, with Rowlf and Janice quickly trying to hurry after her.
The two stood on the sidelines for a bit, watching the zaniness that was a hospital that had gone to the dogs. “Technically,” Kermit whispered. “I heard a little bit about it from Cheesy.”

“Cheesy?” Gonzo questioned. “Penguin Cheesy? Arthur Cheeseman, the penguin who still doesn’t know his left from his right, Cheesy?”

“That’s him.”

“Who’d he hear it from?”

“Harvey in lighting.”

Gonzo just gaped at him.

“Who heard it from Gazelle, that new chorus girl,” the frog continued. “Who heard it from Ralph the makeup guy, who heard it from Pepe, who…”

“Well, no wonder,” Gonzo groused. “It’s probably all over the theater by now. Terrific. Camilla’s gonna kill me.”

“She seemed be calm when I talked to her,” Kermit said. “But I did ask that she wait until our number together, that way I have a third for the song. Though I guess I could’ve gone with Rowlf…”

“You’re all heart, Kermit,” Gonzo replied, sarcastically.

The hospital skit did what it usually set out to do, which was completely destroy any type of semblance of an actual working and caring medical facility. “How you manage to get through a sketch, I’ll never know,” the frog replied, as the cast came off the stage.

“Some secrets are best left to the imagination, Mon Capitan,” the diva replied, sweeping past the frog to that of her dressing room. While her parts had been swapped, she still had to get dressed for her number Rowlf, not to mention the song she would be singing with Kermit.

Her cohorts quickly headed off to hit their marks back in the orchestra, where they would be featured during the show’s pseudo popular At the Dance routine, leaving both the frog and the weirdo looking after the diva was she ascended the stairs quickly. “I’m sorry about not telling you sooner.”

“I have a feeling I know why you did,” Kermit whispered.

“I think I should also apologize for whatever scheme Piggy is planning on launching.”

“How’s that?”

Giving the frog a look, Gonzo stated, “I’m sorry if I put any ideas in her head. Well, new ones anyway.”

Turning to look at the door to Piggy’s dressing room, Kermit shook his head slightly. “You know what, Gonzo,” he whispered. “I’m the one with the ideas this time.” A slow grin spread across his face, before he gave the daredevil a pat on the arm. “I’ll catch you later,” before he sprinted off towards the stairs.

“Well, I’ll be…” the weirdo murmured, not stopping the smile that appeared on his face. About time that frog realized what he wanted to do. Speaking of… “Hey Shrimp!” he called, seeing the very crustacean pass by. “I wanna have some words with you.”

“What?” Pepe asked. “Ju want to play the friends with words game? Right now? Gonzo, we is in the middle of a show, h’okay?”

“I got a new game,” the weirdo replied. “I call it ‘friends with swords’.”

“That…does not sound like a good game, h’okay?”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh come on Pepe, Friends with Swords is a wonderful game. Especially when you end up with seafood-kabobs. Kills two bones with the same skull.

Sorry for not posting sooner, wanted to just read the show as it happened. Keep posting is very funny.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Ha ha! Love the part about the swords!

And what is piggy up to...?

More please!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Gina, this is great! I can tell the "friends with swords" is not a game. Playing with swords are dangerous, but the blue weirdo loves that kind of game. I would like to have more chapters please.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
Nice, very nice. I especially got a kick out of the "friends with words" bit. Can't wait to see where this goes.