Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, this will get people talking...

Disney buying Lucasfilm, will release new 'Star Wars' movie in 2015

Walt Disney Co. is buying Lucasfilm in a $4 billion deal that brings the best-selling "Star Wars" franchise under the Disney umbrella, with plans to release Episode 7 of the long-running saga in 2015.

Disney has long had a close relationship with closely held Lucasfilm and founder George Lucas, including featured attractions at Disney theme parks such as Star Tours at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida.

"It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers," said Lucas, 68, in a statement.

The cash and stock deal is valued at about $4.05 billion, Disney said. Lucasfilm is solely owned by George Lucas.

"This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value," Disney CEO Robert Iger said in a statement.

Lucas will act as creative consultant on the new Star Wars film, with more feature films expected beyond Episode 7.

The six "Star Wars" feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion at the box office alone and offer "a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal," according to the Disney news release.

The deal is subject to federal antitrust approval.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news...will-release-new-star-wars-movie-in-2015?lite

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Wow, I've just read this...wow!! Not sure what to think really, a "disneyfied" Indiana Jones does not really appeal but thats pretty much what they gave us in the last movie. I guess the mouse house is pretty close to global domination right now!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope the AntiTrust blocks this. Disney owns ENOUGH! The last thing we need is them owning Lucasfilm. Disney has done well with Muppets and Marvel, but they need to be cut off. Just for the matter of them owning too many media outlets. I think that the damage is done, and out of Lucas's hands, Star Wars has gotten some pretty great things going for it right now. Clone Wars is far far better than anything he's done since ROTJ, even the Lego Star Wars TV specials have been delightful fun. Plus, I'm shocked Fox isn't buying them since they are the ones that produced the movies. They better not muss up Clone Wars or the upcoming Detours.

However, I wonder if this is similar to the Nickelodeon deal with TMNT. Maybe Lucas just wants to get rid of it and his ownership and focus on something else in his life. Laird sold TMNT to Nick for a similar reason.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At this point in time, "AAUGH" is a lot more appropriate and accurate than "NOOOO".

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
The playing feild just got a bit more interesting didn't it?

I was pretty shocked by this but considering how long Disney and Lucas have collaborated on projects (especially the theme park attractions like Star Tours) it kind of makes sense. Hopefully the quality of the new trilogy will be vastly improved over the "new" trilogy of I-III.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was pretty shocked by this but considering how long Disney and Lucas have collaborated on projects (especially the theme park attractions like Star Tours) it kind of makes sense. Hopefully the quality of the new trilogy will be vastly improved over the "new" trilogy of I-III.
If Lucas isn't behind it 100%, it will be good. All the stuff that made the prequel trilogy the way it was could have been in the original films, if Lucas didn't have people bouncing ideas off of him. C3-PO was supposed to have the same negative Jew stereotype voice that Watto did. But I really don't want to see another Star Wars movie. Not under Lucas or Disney. In fact, there's only a few things I want to see out of this:

1. Unfutzed with DVD releases of the original trilogy. Non-Special edition stuff in GOOD condition, Blu Quality.
  2. Please withhold the silly Happy Meal moratorium on Star Wars licenses. I HATE that there hasn't been a single Marvel tie in at McDonalds or BK this year. An Avengers BK Kids Meal could have been a license to print money. Then again, the Thor ones sucked.
  3. Let the TV programs BE! They've done a good job not screwing around with the Marvel shows best they could (Spectacular Spider-Man was doomed to 2 seasons anyway), the shows done under them are good too... but let Lego Star Wars, Clone Wars, and the Upcoming Detours alone.
  4. Learn to like releasing stuff on DVD, Diz. Ewoks, Droids, and Genndy's Clone Wars shorts need rereleases. I could care less if the Ewoks films and that dumb Christmas special see the light of day again, but PLEASE swallow your pride and give the Star Wars fans the DVD release they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.