Your Thoughts: A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD and CD

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
My free replacement copy has shipped. Hopefully, it doesn't come to me horribly damaged like the last one did. :stick_out_tongue:
Just watch: the copy you get comes damaged AGAIN. Or when you try to rip it to your computer, the audio is out-of-sync just to spite you... :fishy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the book "100 Dumbest TV Moments", there's a quote by George Lucas saying that the special is not cannon, "period". I wonder if he's changed his mind or if he's gone back-and-fourth over the years on the subject (like how he often says the whole original trilogy was originally written as one script but has also admitted that that's not true, and wikipedia points out that the original Star Wars script only has a few minor things not in the first movie that appear in the sequels).
If it's not Lucas himself, it's surely all those around him. TV Tropes points this out:
  • Canon Immigrant:
    • Yes, that's still really Chewbacca's family. However the official canon sources, trying desperately to put a positive spin on things, turn the names given here into nicknames, along the same lines as 'Chewie'. "Itchy" is short for "Attichitcuk", and "Lumpy" is short for "Lumpawarrump". Not that it helps.
    • Bea Arthur's character has actually been used in some Star Wars books, most recently helping to free slaves in Allies.
    • In Knights of the Old Republic, the Wookiee homes are faithful to Holiday Special, albeit Darker and Edgier.
    • None other than Boba Fett himself, appearing in animated form two years before showing up in 'Empire'.
    • Life Day itself, not to mention Saun Dann, made frequent appearances in Star Wars Galaxies.
That certainly explains why somebody would say "Oscar and MJ - Love it!" when Michael Jackson takes up... What? 50 seconds of this special?
Everyone sings except Michael. That alone says there's something wrong here. Unless it's probably some dumb contractual thing (M.J. did the voice of the crazy guy who thought he was M.J. on the Simpsons, but they used a sound alike when he sang). Those things can't be helped.

Meanwhile, Tough Pigs has a 2 part review of this special (only part one's up at the moment). hey took the words out of my mouth.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Part 2 of Tough Pig's review

Apparently, they wanted to milk Michael Jackson's appearance a LOT more by remixing his dialogue and having a still frame of his appearance do seizure inducing flickers.

I'm not going to add to that.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I just bought this last night at walmart (plus $9.97 wasnt a bad price! so IF i didnt like it then $10 wouldnt bother me to loose/spend!) but i liked it, i thought it was ok! But MOST of you make it sound like it was something soooo horrible disgusting. :shifty:

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I just bought this last night at walmart (plus $9.97 wasnt a bad price! so IF i didnt like it then $10 wouldnt bother me to loose/spend!)
I'm honestly surprised that you were able to find this thing at a major retailer like Wal-Mart. Out of curiousity, did they have a lot of these, or just a few? Did they just have the single DVD, or did they have the edition that comes with the soundtrack, too?

but i liked it, i thought it was ok! But MOST of you make it sound like it was something soooo horrible disgusting. :shifty:
Well, to each their own. I'm glad that you're happy with what you got. :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
there was only a few copys left and it was just a single DVD with no cd, i didnt care if the cd came with it or not.