1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD and CD

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I wish they'd put that on DVD; they played a clip at a holiday-related montage at the Museum of Moving Image last year and it looks superb compared to what's on YouTube.
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Should we petition for the rights holders to release this one?:) Of course that one isn't exactly full of celebrity appearances (just Art Carney... and Ed Sullivan if he counts).

The comment about Muppet specials owned by third parties that center on celebrity appearances seems more fitting for Out to Lunch. I'd like to see that one released, especially since most of us haven't seen it (a few clips have been screened at Henson events in the last few years). Though I think somebody on Muppet Wiki who has a copy of the script said that most of the special doesn't seem too great (of course that's just from judging the script).
  4. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I believe the Ed Sullivan estate owns The Great Santa Clause Switch as it aired as an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show. They released most of the Muppet appearances from that show on DVD, I don't see why releasing The Great Santa Clause Switch is such a problem.
  5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I think it almost got a DVD release around 2002/2003 shortly after The Ed Sullivan Show Muppet segments were out.
  6. minor muppetz

I was hoping a release would have come out then. I also wishfully thought it should contain all the Ed Sullivan appearances not on the Muppets Magic DVD as a bonus feature (most of the segments not included were due to music rights, but rights were cleared for one segment to appear on a different Ed Sullivan DVD).
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Heh! Look at that! It is on Youtube.

Still would rather a DVD, though.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but it's stuff like this that kind of makes me realize that Jim wasn't exactly a very business-savvy. I mean, aside from the SST Muppets (up until 2000), it's like he, or company, never even owned the rights to what he created... and it was Walt Disney himself who said never sell anything you create. I know Caroll Spinney said it wasn't until years later, when Lord Grade went bankrupt, that Jim was finally able to regain the actual rights to TMS, TMM, and GMC.
  9. Drtooth

That's a bit Harsh. Remember, production companies traditionally seek out other production companies, and while Dreamworks owns all it's films, it constantly needs partners to distribute those films in theaters.

Especially since Santa Claus Switch was fairly early in Jim's career before he even really had much of a production company. The only films Henson (now Disney) didn't own were the ones released by Columbia/Sony. And Henson owned the rights to Sesame Street Muppet characters until the EMTV sale.
    SuperGzilla12 likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Not trying to be harsh, I'm just saying.

There WERE some positives from the way Jim handled his business, as with the case of TMS, at least Lord Grade let him have free reign over the show and let him do whatever he wanted to, most execs always try to obtain as much of the creative control themselves to the point it's not the same show the creator had invented, but rather, the show the network thinks it wants to have.

But, at least back then, these people also willingly acknowledge that Jim was the visionary behind these things, whereas today, Disney is pretty much doing all it can to erase Jim's name from the Muppets altogether.
  11. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

12. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Wha... wha... WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?!?

[​IMG]
    BobThePizzaBoy likes this.
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

...why did what happen?
  14. SuperGzilla12

What was playing on Muppet Central Radio. :p
  15. minor muppetz

I noticed on the back cover, there's an image from the end of the special, with the cast, extras, and some of the guests. But the image on the cover superimposes Michael Jackson and Anne Murray into the image. It's a bit odd, seeing all them singing as Michael Jackson appears to just be walking past them while reading a book.
  16. SuperGzilla12

You know, I never noticed that. :laugh: They were REALLY pushing the whole Michael Jackson thing, weren't they?
  17. Drtooth

According to Tough Pigs, one of the "special features" is basically a static image of Oscar and MJ with a seizure inducing background with MJ's small bit of dialogue remixed to crappy techno music. If that's not milking the most of a celeb that was in there for 20 seconds, I don't know what was.
  18. SuperGzilla12

Yeah. The cut-outs of MJ and Oscar jiggle around on the screen, too.
  19. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I'm so glad this finally got released to DVD!!! Certainly never saw it coming, but my Walter Muppet fanatic side:fanatic: is quite happy for it! And I do enjoy "A Special Sesame Street Christmas", despite all the knocks it gets. It's fun, it's Sesame Street (albeit with a reduced cast), it has fun musical numbers and it's Christmas- and it's in the late '70s. I love it.:)
  20. SuperGzilla12

Tommorow is Christmas, as well as a song that should never be played on Christmas.

[​IMG]

Seriously, Muppet Central? You're paying royaltees to these people? :p
    BobThePizzaBoy likes this.