Should Sesame Street continue?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I guess I suffer a bit from the "Sesame Street ain't what it used to be " syndrome too.
I'm right there with you. We run these wonderful shows into the ground until they're shadows of their former selves. It's become your typical "talk down to kids" program. I doubt it will be cancelled because it is such an institution. Who wants to be the one to get rid of Sesame Street (besides Romney, lol)?

galagr

Reaction score
I don't really like how "Elmo-esque" the show has gotten, but I would love to see a 50th anniversary special.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. We run these wonderful shows into the ground until they're shadows of their former selves. It's become your typical "talk down to kids" program. I doubt it will be cancelled because it is such an institution. Who wants to be the one to get rid of Sesame Street (besides Romney, lol)?
Yeah..true about Romney heralde.I wonder about him. Did he have kids that watched PBS & Sesame Street? I don't want to get rid of Sesame Street (please don't get me wrong at all!) But I was thinking about this a few days ago but forgot to post about it. (stuff going on here.) Then last night I couldn't sleep so I figured I'd post. Jerry Nelson & Kevin Clash will be tough acts to follow (unless Kevin Clash changes his mind & decides to come back. Then that problem is solved) But there's still the problem of replacing Jerry Nelson. (Unfortunately he can't be brought back to life.:frown: )
Speaking from a personal note, (I know I'm being repetitive & I apologize) my 12 year old niece watched SS until she was (I'd say ) 5 . My 5 year old niece stopped watching it when she was 3! (The 2 girls are 7 years apart) So I think SS was dumbed down around the time my younger niece started watching it Does that tell you something? I have a 3 year old nephew & a 1 year old niece now. They don't watch SS. They watch Disney Jr. (or at least my nephew does. I think if I asked him who Big Bird was, he wouldn't know. But if I asked him who Mickey Mouse was, he'd know.)

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Though I am of the cantankerous "Sesame Street ain't what it used to be!" camp, it's STILL the best program for children out there. I shudder to think what would replace it.
Well said. Children are smarter than we give them credit for. It irks me to think about how condescending some kids shows are now. SS still has the quality required to get us out of this phase in kid's TV (let's hope it's a phase.)

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I believe that Sesame Street should continue its run. Everyone who grew up with Sesame Street came to love those cuddly Muppet characters, humans, songs, and skits that make them smile. I would be really upset if Sesame Street discontinued its run. The Count was meant for counting. Oscar was meant for grouchiness. Cookie Monster was meant for eating cookies. Elmo and Big Bird were meant for happiness. Sesame Street was meant to show education, music, letters, numbers, shapes, colors, sizes, and everything else like that. Sesame Street is like the God of all the PBS Kids shows. People all over the world love Sesame Street and its international co-productions. Joan Ganz Cooney is doing a wonderful job for Sesame Workshop and Sesame Street to continue for those many generations. So, it would be a good idea for Sesame Street to continue its broadcasting, as well as its international co-productions.
ALL THE LOVE FOR SESAME STREET!!! :laugh::wisdom::grouchy: :stick_out_tongue::frown::insatiable::super::batty::search:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Speaking from a personal note, (I know I'm being repetitive & I apologize) my 12 year old niece watched SS until she was (I'd say ) 5 . My 5 year old niece stopped watching it when she was 3! (The 2 girls are 7 years apart) So I think SS was dumbed down around the time my younger niece started watching it Does that tell you something?

Indeed. The way it is now I'm not sure it is all that beneficial to kids. But it's unreasonable to expect that such a long running would remain fresh forever.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
This question has always stuck with me for a long time. On one hand, the show kept going downhill little by little since the 90's and yeah you never know which cast member or puppeteer we're going to lose next, and it would be hard to see a different actor or hear a different character voice, but on the other hand, Sesame Street is of course the longest running show on PBS Kids right now, and it would be interesting to see how many more years it's going to last, as well as what other new segments we'd see in future episodes. (If they reach 50, I would love to see a TV special, and some other special products produced for this milestone.)

At the Thanksgiving parade my family & I were remarking at how Bob had aged.
Same with my parents and siblings while we were watching it. They were commenting on not only how Bob had been aging, but Gordon, Susan, and Luis as well.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well they are slowly getting a younger cast.. Allen Chirs Lena, and Gena... Who knows maybe Gabby and Millies will come back and become a bigger part of the cast.

I think Gabby and Gina are kind of cute (don't tell my wife)

Katzi428

Reaction score
This question has always stuck with me for a long time. On one hand, the show kept going downhill little by little since the 90's and yeah you never know which cast member or puppeteer we're going to lose next, and it would be hard to see a different actor or hear a different character voice, but on the other hand, Sesame Street is of course the longest running show on PBS Kids right now, and it would be interesting to see how many more years it's going to last, as well as what other new segments we'd see in future episodes. (If they reach 50, I would love to see a TV special, and some other special products produced for this milestone.)

Same with my parents and siblings while we were watching it. They were commenting on not only how Bob had been aging, but Gordon, Susan, and Luis as well.
I started to answer before, but something came up.
Yes, Sesame Street is the longest running program on PBS. (I originally started talking about The Electric Company but it began in 1971.So yes, SS is in the lead) I agree if SS reaches 50 it'll be interesting to see what they'll do for this milestone.
Now for the human characters:
Gordon (Roscoe Orman) is about 68 (he was born the same year as my dad: 1944)
I don't know what year Susan (Loretta Long) was born but didn't she get into some kind of accident last year (hit by a car? It was in the papers.) Anyway she's pushing 70 if she's not past that already.
Luis (Emilio Delgado) I'm guessing he's in his 50s.I think he joined the cast in 1974 but don't quote me.
Even though Maria (Sonia Manzano) wasn't in the Thanksgiving parade , I read she was born in the 50s so she's 50something.
As for the others I have no clue.