Family Guy Movie... Oy Vey...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still don't see the "OY Vey" in something popular getting something that's basically an inevitability. I see worse things getting greenlighted all the time.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Personally, I enjoy Family Guy....but seeing this as a movie is not really going to work for me. I mean, I could be wrong (In the case of The Simpsons Movie, which I did enjoy very much.) but this one......ehhh.......it's looking a little iffy. :smirk:

Hubert

Reaction score
*winces*

Get me out of this thread!

...a Family Guy movie? Seriously? Aren't people hypnotized by that terrible show enough already without a movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I enjoy Family Guy....but seeing this as a movie is not really going to work for me. I mean, I could be wrong (In the case of The Simpsons Movie, which I did enjoy very much.) but this one......ehhh.......it's looking a little iffy. :smirk:
Family Guy has been on a very long time, not as long as the Simpsons of course, but There's less and less they can do with a movie. Especially since the characters keep getting flattened into one note jokes. But I've noticed they've been doing more daring action/adventure based plot lines recently, so I can't say a movie wouldn't work, but I wonder if it could. "And then there were fewer" could have been stretched into a film, actually.

Just no *&^% Conway Twitty cutaways. They lost the joke the third time they did it. Especially that horrid O.J. Simpson episode where they did the whole song.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Just as long as no kids try to sneak into it, I'm good. Maybe it will do well in the box office, since the kids at my school all seem to like it.
But if this isn't bad enough, they're making a second SpongeBob movie! I hope that it's the true finale, since it's seeming to decline in popularity a bit...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gah! The ressurgence in the SpongeBob epidemic is getting worse!

Drtooth

Reaction score
But if this isn't bad enough, they're making a second SpongeBob movie! I hope that it's the true finale, since it's seeming to decline in popularity a bit...
Again, I'm sorry... but we SHOULD get more movies based on TV cartoons while they're still being produced. Imagine if they made a proper Inspector Gadget movie in 1984 animated in Japan (like the series), voiced by Don Adams and the rest, and released by DIC rather than the crummy Disney live action picture that randomly came out in 1999? Not even near an anniversary. 1999, when the character wasn't exactly relevant.

Spongebob gets another movie? So what? Rugrats got 3! And if "Rugrats go Wild" did better, we would have had at least 4. The only Nicktoons to get a movie? Rugrats three times, Wild Thornberries Twice (on a technicality, since they shared a movie), Spongebob has 2 (one upcoming), and Hey Arnold. I don't count Doug, since that was under Disney. And I'm not counting Jimmy Neutron or Barnyard, since they were movies with the intent to make into cartoon shows. So, overall there were 6 (including upcoming Spongebob). That's like, less than half the Nicktoons. ALL the Nicktoons should have had a theatrical film. Well... maybe not Rocket Power or As Told by Ginger. But Zim should have had a movie. Meanwhile CN has one. PPG. They chickened out with KND. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force is really Adult Swim.

But my main point is, these shouldn't be rare. I have to play the Japan card again. Dragon Ball, not counting the live action abortion had 13 with one more on the way. Doraemon and Anpanman get one annually. Not every show gets a movie, but most of them do. Granted, "movies" can be as short as 5 minutes and shown in triple bills with other cartoons (that would be awesome over here). When we get a cartoon movie based on a cartoon that's on the air currently, it confounds everyone in the industry. And they usually make back their budget, even as flops. Meanwhile, they'll throw together a bloated massive budget to "update" an old cartoon series that will lose hundreds of millions of dollars and alienate the fanbase. How is that fiscally preferable?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Here's an idea; what if Hollywood just stops adapting TV shows (and books, and comics, and plays/musicals, and old films) into movies and starts coming up with completely new ideas altogether?

And DrTooth, a Spongebob movie wouldn't be bad, if the show itself wasn't, to quote the Nostalgia Critic, beating a dead horse with another dead horse (to the point that even its target audience, if the ratings are any indication, are starting to get sick of it).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's an idea; what if Hollywood just stops adapting TV shows (and books, and comics, and plays/musicals, and old films) into movies and starts coming up with completely new ideas altogether?
Here's the problem:

1. Hollywood itself is OUT of new ideas, mainly because all the successful ideas have already been used up, hence why most movies you see nowadays are either rehashes of previously successful pictures, or adaptations of TV shows, books, et al.
2. The people who actually DO have new ideas are never given a chance, because Hollywood (and the entertaiment industry as a whole) is so picky-choosy, really, you have to KNOW people in the industry to even be considered to be given a chance.
3. Even if Hollywood does have new ideas, they don't want to take the risks to try them out, so they rely on things that have been done before, because they know they worked before.

And how many times has a new show come out, and in interviews with the creators/producers/showrunners/whoever, say, "Yeah, well, we modeled this show after such-and-such show, it's really the great-grandaddy of our show."? Heck, a recent new medical drama (see, even those are already a dime a dozen), the creators actually confess that they're trying to make their own version of M*A*S*H.