The Muppets 50th Anniversary

Lisa D

Reaction score
A) Rebuilds wouldn't be that expensive for a lot of them, espcially if one were to concentrate their efforts on crowd angles. That way you just have to reconstruct--this may be a gruesome image for some of you, avert your eyes--Thog's haed, for example.

B) It would be a fantastic marketing opportunity for Disney to do a year long bash for the muppets as a way of showing that the takeover wasn't the act of evildoing it feels like right now.

What concerns me is that these events, since they'd be run by Diney, would be located on the rodent's home turf making it a really expensive pilgrimage for the rest of us.

Lisa D

muppet maniac

Reaction score
You know,I have been thinking of ideas for the Muppets' 50th anniversary special too. I'll share them...

*The very beginning of the special should be a skit spoofing "The Apprentice"
*The Muppet Show characters would be hosting the special,with characters from Sesame Street,Fraggle Rock,Bear,and other Muppet/Henson productions in the audience. Kind of like the 30th anniversary special,which I have not seen(but I did see the "Eatings and Explosions" clip)
*As for celebrities,the only ones I can think of who should be in it are....
-Seth Green
-Wayne Brady
-Bill Cosby
-Larry King
-David Arquette
-Steve Martin
Maybe Eiffel 65 can sing their hit song "Blue Da Ba Dee" along with Grover,Cookie Monster,Gonzo,Sam the Eagle,Marvin Suggs,Tutter,Rosita,Herry Monster,Boober Fraggle and Zoot.Clips of the "blue" Muppets from past/present JHC productions(TMS,Sesame,Fraggle Rock,Bear,etc)can be shown in the background
*Ernie and Bert doing the classic "Banana in My Ear" sketch
....what do you think?

mlawdrums

Reaction score
All I can ask is that the writing is good with a storyline and great bits :smile:

christyb

Reaction score
A big TV special isn't such a bad idea. I'd love to see the muppets back in the mainstream of things. (but that's a little off topic) But a special needs a good story. The latest ones are okay but not as good as the could be.

Just a note from me,

Christy B. :smile:

maxdrive

Reaction score
you also forgot the movie the witchs jim henson was a part of that as well

muppet maniac

Reaction score
One more idea...

*Link Hogrthob forming his own band called Linkin Pork,singing a song with Linkin Park

: )

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Ohhh...wait...since Disney owns the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House,and Sesame Workshop owns Sesame Street and JHC owns Fraggle Rock...

Hmm...This is tough.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
In 1955 "Sam and Friends" began airing on WRC-TV, Washington DC. And 2005 will be the 50th anniversary of Jim Henson's career in filmed puppetry. From a 2005 marketing standpoint the birthday of the marketable Muppets' by any company would probally not be celebrated until some other point in time.

The only group that would (or easily could) do something would be The Jim Henson Legacy to celebrate 50 years of Jim's career.

We will have the postage stamps coming in 2005, and the JHL may do a special event (like one of their weekend festivals of movies, TV shows, special, and guest speakers to celebrate the anniversary).

But don't expect commutative merchandise or a special production. With the rights spread all over 3+ companies it would be improper for one to do something and not the other (it is equally important for all; from Sesame to Kermit to the Fraggle), and if they were to do any products or productions they would have to be in the works now in order to be done for next year. Nothing special is being worked on, so I doubt we'll see any explosion of anniversary stuff next year.

That does not mean nothing will happen in 2005, just nothing special for the anniversary.

Disney will show The Muppets Wizard of Oz as part of the Wonderful World of Disney. the Wonderful World of Disney usually has introductions to the film by stars and executives of Disney. The Muppets have done these openings before when their work was shown of The Wonderful World of Disney. They may use that time to mention that 50 years ago the Muppets began and a little bit about Jim and his vision (next year will also be 15 years since Jim passed away).

But I doubt we’ll see anything big done about this celebration. Maybe the MHC will do something for the 30th of The Muppet Show in 2006 (maybe the season sets of the show on DVD will be part of this). Since that is a celebration of something they own they can celebrate it easier than something spred between 3+ companies. It is a shame, but it look grim that any of these companies will focus on the anniversary of Jim’s first real apperance on television.

2005 is Jim's Anniversary but now none of the companies own all of Jim's work like the Jim Henson Company did 20 years ago at the time of the 30th. I doubt much will be done for this milestone, wait until something marketable (like the Muppets show's 30th, Sesame Streets' 40th, or Fraggle Rock's 25th) having 3+ companies come together to celebrate this obscure event is not going to happen right now.

I guess we'll just have to put on our own party for this event :smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
If Disney doesn't promote the heck out of the Muppets 50th, or in the very least have one very solid celebratory special, what little faith I have in their acquisition of the Muppets will be completely snuffed out. The Muppets 30th anniversary special back in '86, albiet a year late, was perfect (but why did I choose to tape in on a Betamax? WHY???), and should be the template for whatever they do.

I understand what people have been saying about some puppets being retired due to their physical conditions (Thog being the example given, I think), but I'm pretty sure the Sam and Friends puppets are safe and sound in a museum collection somewhere (perhaps the Smithsonian?), and are overdue for the spotlight.

My biggest fear is that the Disney ownership of the Muppets will conflict with the Henson ownership of everything else, potentially limiting the scope of the celebration or eliminating it altogether, which would be horrible.

I just turned thirty, and I've been a huge fan of the Muppets for more than half their historical span. I've seen their highs and lows like everyone else, and I've felt the changes occur that have led them to their current place in modern pop culture. Based on all this, I can tell you that not only do the Muppets deserve this, they NEED this. People who have cast the Muppets aside in their lives need to be awakened and realize their cultural significance, proven by their longevity in the public eye and showcased in a huge celebration.

Disney folks, if you are lurking anywhere on these boards, the fans have spoken. We're ultimately the ones who will support or condemn your ownership of the Muppets, and we've made our expectations clear. Treat the Muppets with the respect and attention that you afford Mickey and Donald, and give the Muppets their 50 year send off with all the glitz and glory you can muster. And to paraphrase Field of Dreams, if you build it, we will come.