And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

mimitchi33

Reaction score
In all seriousness, saying that Harvey is punishment for Texas voting for Trump is as ridiculous as Evangelicals that say God will personally punish people with diseases and gay children if they don't support Trump.

Don't forget - some dumb blonde out there said the tsunami and earthquake Japan experienced several years ago was punishment for being an atheistic country.
No. Trump won the electoral vote because Texas is a huge state. Combine that with the second big vote-getter (Florida), and they have more votes than California's votes for Hilary.
And as for the latter, wasn't that Gilbert Gottfried who made that joke? I read about it somewhere.

Also, since this is a thread about politics, here are my two favorite Donald Trump spoofs:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And as for the latter, wasn't that Gilbert Gottfried who made that joke? I read about it somewhere.
Gilbert did make some disrespectful, distasteful comments about the Japanese in the wake of the tsunami, and it did get him fired from voicing the Aflac duck, however those specific comments, as I recall, were made by some blonde vlogger or something.

cjd874

Reaction score
I found this clip on YouTube, pulled from a PBS broadcast about the Vietnam War. Here, Warren Beatty offers his thoughts on why the US got involved with the Vietnam War, how the US government misled the public, and what Americans could do to fight back. To me, it still rings true 45 years later in the midst of the North Korean and Middle Eastern conflicts, not to mention our flawed leadership.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the wake of Harvey, it's despicable to see people looting. But every disaster has seen that, where a catastrophe like this can bring out the worst in people.

But it is inspiring to see the lengths people went to to rescue others. One would hope people would see "Hey, that guy is drowning, we need to rescue him" over the attitude "Hey, that Texan voted for Trump. Let's watch him drown!"

But somehow, I'm afraid that even in the midst of this destruction, where the nation's top priority should be to give aid and relief, someone on either the right or the left (neither side is beyond reproach) of turning it into a political
grandstand.

At the very least, despite the high amount of destruction, the death toll as been mercifully very low.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I know it's up to 38, but that's still minor compared to others I've seen in my lifetime. And I've seen a lot.

Up here in New Jersey, we've never bore the brunt of a hurricane until Sandy. But as far back as I can remember, David, Frederick, Hugo, Alex, Irene, you want me to keep going?

Unfortunately, in any big natural disaster, there will be lives lost. Any hurricane, tornado, flood, fire, earthquake, it's inevitable. Sometimes people unfortunately caught in the path of the disaster. Others who have time to evacuate, but choose not to, and suffer the consequences.

One great urban legend is the party thrown during Hurricane Camille in 1969 (same weekend as Woodstock, by the way). In Pass Christian, Mississippi, 23
partygoers were killed when their apartment building collapsed.
All that remained was the concrete slab where the building once stood. Made front-page news, but many claim it never happened. Great story, great morality tale, sounds so good you want to believe it. Only no credible facts to back it up.

Kinda like now.

Censored

Reaction score
I know it's up to 38, but that's still minor compared to others I've seen in my lifetime. And I've seen a lot.

Up here in New Jersey, we've never bore the brunt of a hurricane until Sandy. But as far back as I can remember, David, Frederick, Hugo, Alex, Irene, you want me to keep going?

Unfortunately, in any big natural disaster, there will be lives lost. Any hurricane, tornado, flood, fire, earthquake, it's inevitable. Sometimes people unfortunately caught in the path of the disaster. Others who have time to evacuate, but choose not to, and suffer the consequences.

One great urban legend is the party thrown during Hurricane Camille in 1969 (same weekend as Woodstock, by the way). In Pass Christian, Mississippi, 23
partygoers were killed when their apartment building collapsed.
All that remained was the concrete slab where the building once stood. Made front-page news, but many claim it never happened. Great story, great morality tale, sounds so good you want to believe it. Only no credible facts to back it up.

Kinda like now.
"Like now"? What do you mean?

Last edited:

Censored

Reaction score

Having lived in New Orleans most of my life, including 2005, I can relate to that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
"Like now"? What do you mean?
Take any headline from either side, right or left. Both sides are equally guilty of taking facts, distorting the truth, pushing their own agenda, accusing the other side of being totally wrong and they are right, blah blah blah, and passing it off as "credible journalism".

Maybe we need robots to research and report the news. Creatures with no emotional stake in the story, no personal bias, no political agenda to promote. No human error to distort pure black and white facts.
With no human factor involved, nobody can accuse the robots of leaning to one side or the other. Pure facts. How can you get a fairer deal than that?

Censored

Reaction score
Maybe we need robots to research and report the news. Creatures with no emotional stake in the story, no personal bias, no political agenda to promote. No human error to distort pure black and white facts.
With no human factor involved, nobody can accuse the robots of leaning to one side or the other. Pure facts. How can you get a fairer deal than that?
Hey…Now, that sounds…

....SCARY!:eek: