The Muppets Take Hollywood at Jack in the Box

Luke

Reaction score
We've never had any kind of thing going on here that has meant every time something Muppety comes out people have to spend their time getting stuff for everybody else - it is primarily a news and discussion forum. The community part comes from friendships building over time and relationships forming both on and off the forum. You use it to get to know people and make buddies and you never know, if you ask nicely they might help you out with some merchandise and maybe you can do the same for them. Joining doesn't give you instant access to goods - it isn't a collectors club though the people are pretty good even with people they don't know - if you post a polite request you'd probably get some offers of help.

What i don't like is people being shamed into it and having to feel obligated to start some mail order service just because they happen to post to the forum and they shouldn't be made to feel bad if they don't want to do that. Most people wouldn't have the time and money to be able to do such a thing and if they only have resources to just help out a few buddies off forum and put a few spare sets on Ebay to make a few bucks then theres nothing wrong with that at all. If they offer to do stuff for people on this forum then thats real nice of them, but this kind of talk would probably put people off helping.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that the "Wanted" folder is just for such a request. If you are wanting a member to pick up a set of these for you, then politely request if anyone is willing to help. At the same time though, please post a realistic list of what you might be willing to trade for the Jack in the Box figures. You can also write people privately to work out a trade. E-mail is often the best way to work out such an arrangement.

There isn't a Jack in the Box within more than five hours of where we live so I understand the situation some of you are in. It is frustrating not having one nearby. However, there are many members here who are very happy to help each other out if they choose to do so.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sometimes you can email off the forums and ask someone to help, and they will. That way it's more private, nobody's feelings are hurt, you might get what you want, and everybody's happy!

I just ask politely, "If you can get it for me, I'd appreciate it; but, if not, it's understandable." Then I ask someone else.

I NEVER request it on the boards anymore because I don't want someone to become overwhelmed with requests.
So, TOM, will you get me, like, 700 sets of these and pay for it up front and mail them to me and I'll pay you back when I can?

Just kidding! :crazy:

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers guys and gals.

I come from a toy list where folks bend over backwards for each other, offering to take on their brothers and sisters for items that they couldn't find in their areas. It has a real sense of family. People often mail packages just on good faith, before they've even been repaid for the items. A great community to be a part of. Just like this forum, it has people from all walks of life, but with one thing in common, a shared passion that they can all appreciate, so much so that they know how much the little hard to find things mean to one another. People doing what they can to help each other further our collections. I guess I've been taking it somewhat for granted.

Probably part of the reason it's so different is because it was created before and most of the members joined before the invention of ebay. So we had to rely on one another early on, as we had no real alternative. And because there wasn't this global market yet, no one could forsee an easy way to make a profit for a common local item.

And yes, it has all the same aspects here as well, with the news and discussion, keeping each other informed, and the building of friendships, people meeting each other when they visit another members towns, etc.... Heck, there's even an annual get together at someone's house where all members are invited to attend.

Basically I was just shocked when I didn't see anyone offering to help ahead of time, because that's what I'm used to seeing. I guess I've been spoiled.

I'm not trying to shame anyone into doing anything. Like I said, it's a matter of choice how one handles themselves on this or any other forum. If you're helping people because you feel guilty, you're doing it for the wrong reason. It's supposed to make you feel good, knowing that you've helped someone else. And it's supposed to bring the group even closer together, humanize it even more. In that respect the Palisades club is a bad thing, because we don't need one another (and think what the ebay prices would be then!). I really didn't think this was such a novel idea here, but I guess it is.

Admittedly, I went about introducing it the wrong way with my initial sarcasm. Like I said, I was just amazed that no one was offering, saying something to the effect of "hey, I know that 33 states and all the international members have no access to Jack in the Box. I feel your pain. Send me your emails and I'll pick ten people to help at cost."

If anyone wants to make money on ebay, that's fine. But it's insulting to pretend that when you put items on auction it's some philanthropic gesture for the members of the community.

I have no sense of entitlement just because I'm on the forum, like "you have to help ME, I'm a member!" I've only ever helped one other member on this forum, by getting them a vacation Fozzie for cost, so I'm not well known in the trading circles here, so I personally wasn't expecting anything from anyone for myself. I just couldn't believe that you weren't doing if for each other. That I could see anyway. Like you said some of this may be going on behind the scenes with people who are afraid of being inundated with requests (personally I don't think the amount of demand is there for that fear, but anyway.)

Never anywhere did I ask for help as I knew I'd be able to get help elsewhere. I just wanted to try to bring that same sense of community I'm used to here and show that we can do it too. But I started off on the wrong foot and went about it the wrong way I suppose.

I do really believe that people will remember when you've helped them out in the past, and they'll be looking out for you in the future when something comes along that you can't find. Some call it toy karma. I know, I'm crazy. I guess I'm a dinosaur and the world I live in doesn't exist anymore outside my other group. Why should I be surprised? People don't even talk to their neighbors anymore, why should anyone care about faceless people on the internet? And I guess that's why ebay generates billions in sales every year now....

I'm done with the topic and this thread now. Don't worry, you guys have set me straight how things are in the "real world". I've seen the light and the folly of my notions. I'll join the ranks of the wickeder and wiser and when I see all those Koozebane Kermit's at Target, I'll remember that it's every man and woman for themselves, and direct you all to ebay.....

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Louis, I'm sorry you're taking this so hard. I have helped out people online before, both friends and strangers, and if the issue had been raised differently, who knows? Oh, well. No hard feelings on my end.

To the rest of you, your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
The community part comes from friendships building over time and relationships forming both on and off the forum.
Um, so when does this start? heh, maybe it happens *after* being on MC for 5 years? (has it been that long? eep!)

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Um, so when does this start? heh, maybe it happens *after* being on MC for 5 years? (has it been that long? eep!)
Yeah. But when certain people get to five years, we'll up it to say, eight years.

:wink:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
Yeah. But when certain people get to five years, we'll up it to say, eight years.

:wink:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn
Gosh darn, I cant believe Ive been on here for about 5 years(this Fall) I dont think Ive ever been on a forum *that* long, heh.
Hopefully there will be another Muppetfest so we can have some zany times again!(*wink wink* Tom, DW, Dave, and Kevin)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Chris,

How much did you end up getting for the first set you sold? Just curious.