Expert puppet designer and builder availible

DPuppets

Reaction score
When I started building very few would give too much of any type of help. I met David P. and he was like a well of knowledge and was willing to give what he had learned. And now I feel the same way. I am open and always sharing the knowledge that I have gained. I just know that if it was not for him...My building would not be where it is.
I teach at conference all over and David and I both have sat down and talked about this a while back. Do the higher end folks think if they give out their knowledge that they might loose business. I know in teaching confereces all over that very few of the people who have spent time in my classes take it and run. Most just want to make a nice puppet. Most are not looking to start a business with it or anything. I know that I want to continue the art and if I can help I am going to do that. I know if they take what I give them and go on to the next level with it...then I know I have had a part in doing that. Alot of my joy comes from seeing people who take our classes and work hard with the technics that we have shared to build a beautiful puppet. Then going to the same conference next year and hearing and seeing them share what they have done with what they have learned.

Rugby

Reaction score
Dpuppets, you are saying exactly what I was trying to say. Good post! Like I was saying, even if techniques were divulged by the high end guys, who would really run with it and try to compete with them or try to take over the industry? Who would really benefit from it from an economical standpoint? Copyright protection would still apply regardless. So I'm not sure I really see what great harm it would cause helping fans build their own muppets for their own enjoyment, whether it's one of their favorite existing muppets or thier own creation. It's not like once a fan figured out how to make a great looking puppet that they would start their own production company and compete with the Henson company. Who could ever compete with the Henson company in that arena? Nobody in my opinion.

I just don't care for reinventing the wheel everytime I want to make something. I wonder if it's this frustrating in the magician profession?

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
I understand all the frustration,believe me I do, but you have to realize how lucky you guys really are. I am amazed at all the incredible information that is posted on this great site. I only wish I had a resource like MC or the internet back when I was tryin' to figure out puppet building on my own.
Imagine how incredibly hard it was just 10 or 15 years back. The library was all I had, I didn't have any connections, just some old out dated books on puppetry. Some how I managed to track down a local puppet company and I worked two, sometimes three days a week for free while at the same time I was in college. I stayed with them for over two years and milked it for all the great tips on puppet building and performing I could.
That's how most people went about it back in the olden days...lol The Muppet workshop by the way always looks for well rounded builders. They're not too interested in builders that just have a portfolio filled with lots of Muppet type puppets. I know for a fact that's what helped me.
Now that's not sayin' that I didn't have one or even two Muppet looking puppets in my portfolio...hey I was a huge fan just like you guys...lol I guess what I tryin' to say is that I had to work so very hard to get to the place I'm at today, I mean really go out there and earn it every day.
Speaking honestly this website truly has some very talented puppet builders who post really great information on here, sometimes you just have to read between the lines a bit that's all. There will always be people who are willing to help you along on your journey towards becoming a puppet builder or puppeteer, I know that I enjoy helping you guys out when I can. Just remember that you are always growing, even to this day I still go back to the first shop I worked at after almost 14 years and it's still exciting to learn something new.

As always HAPPY PUPPET BUILDING TO ALL...:smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Rugby said:
...even if techniques were divulged by the high end guys, who would really run with it and try to compete with them or try to take over the industry? Who would really benefit from it from an economical standpoint? Copyright protection would still apply regardless. So I'm not sure I really see what great harm it would cause helping fans build their own muppets for their own enjoyment, whether it's one of their favorite existing muppets or thier own creation. It's not like once a fan figured out how to make a great looking puppet that they would start their own production company and compete with the Henson company. Who could ever compete with the Henson company in that arena? Nobody in my opinion.
I completely agree with Dpuppets. I think this nonsense about hording information and "secrets" is stupid.

In the end, it's all just foam!!

That said, the Muppet workshop can't really endorse anyone making their own Muppets. If they do this improperly they could undermine their copyrights (copyright/trademark law requires you to defend your intellectualy property or loose control of it) and they could loose a case in court against someone who was really ripping the Muppets off financially.

Also, there are a some people who have done exactly what you feel wouldn't happen. I know a builder who was kind enough to take a guy who was interested in puppet building and teach him everything they knew. He turned around and started a company selling exactly the same puppets!

Obviously, most people are not going to do that but there have been enough that some pros are leery. It's understandable, but that don't make it right.

You know, the audience doen't care how Kermit's rod is attached, they care about Kermit. As a character. As the result of a performance. If builders and designers are going to complete, we should create a level playing field technically and focus on the creativity and artistry.

I'd like to see the entire community - "pro", amateur, etc. alike focus on just helping each other to create the best work possible. To cheer each other on to success. No "puppet politics." That's why I love this board - it's the best puppetry discussion forum on the `net. There's such a great mix of people here at different skill levels and though we don't always agree everyone is pretty respectful and supportive of each other's work. :zany:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm an open book when there's information that I THINK I might know. Actually, it's from the openness of others when I was trying to learn that taught me to be that way also. Whether it was the JHC responding to a letter and telling me a list of great books to learn from, or if it was a local artist sharing particular techniques.

However, I am NOT a teacher, and I have to be asked certain questions for certain answers--and sometimes it's easier to show than to tell, and that's where better experience comes in, too: hands-on learning.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i agree totally with toastcrumbs, puppetry is an art comprised of many different dicaplines costume designers, sculptures,theatre craft,prop designing, engenieering, ect...
all of whom come togother to create new things, and there is never any one way to do something, in my last years at the workshop, i watched as some of the most talented people in the shop, learned and discovered new ways to do things, or ways to improve upon there past work by incorporating new ideas and materials.puppetry is a constant learning process, and most of us got there through our own dogged perserverence.

granted not everyone is a creative wizz, or sculpting super star, but there is a charm to many of the puppets that ametuers and hobbiest build, and remmember that you may not like the results of your first puppet, but look at how much you learned and try and build on that sbase when working on your next character.

puppet bulding like puppeteering is a small field, there arnt many joibs out there, so yes builders may be alittle gaurded about giving away there "secrects", and you may not have that dream, job right away, but look around find puppet theaters or companys in your area, look on the P of A website there are lots of people out there i my self worked for to small puppet companys in the city before muppets, and i have worked for smaller companys as well as doing my own stuff on the side since my time at muppets, its not an easy road but some times it is very rewarding,

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It is!

I love seeing something that I've toyed (get it?) around with for so long come to life later! Right now I'm on my 3rd week of a few-minutes-here-or-there construction on my own Audrey II, and can't wait to get it done. So far it looks terribly awesome! As hurridly as I'd like to get it done to play with it, I'm taking my time and going back to it over and over to be sure it's coming along the way I want it to! Slow and easy wins the race, as they say.

Something else someone who is a puppet builder might do is send a cover letter and photos to local theaters in the area if there aren't any puppet theaters or clubs around. That's the problem here in Memphis is no outlet for puppeteers. :frown: Anyways, you never know when someone might need a puppeteer or builder on board for a production.

HandySam

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
It is!

I love seeing something that I've toyed (get it?) around with for so long come to life later! Right now I'm on my 3rd week of a few-minutes-here-or-there construction on my own Audrey II, and can't wait to get it done. So far it looks terribly awesome! As hurridly as I'd like to get it done to play with it, I'm taking my time and going back to it over and over to be sure it's coming along the way I want it to! Slow and easy wins the race, as they say.

Something else someone who is a puppet builder might do is send a cover letter and photos to local theaters in the area if there aren't any puppet theaters or clubs around. That's the problem here in Memphis is no outlet for puppeteers. :frown: Anyways, you never know when someone might need a puppeteer or builder on board for a production.
Wow! I am just in sheer awe of these masters of the universe. Hard core creative brainpower at its best. The "High End" mighty puppet builders coming together, swapping spit over foam to create a work of art! Truely I love this forum. I'm so very new to this but am aspiring to be one of you. So much information that I had no idea was available. One great thing is even if JHC won't share their deepest darkest secrets, we can learn from each others mistakes and successes. I've learned so much already :excited:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think that our best learning resources are from each other! Buck Beaver and Toastcrumbs and everybody else has always been helpful. I think Buck more than just anybody, though--that guy is an encyclopedia of information!!

KUDOS TO BUCK BEAVER!!

Jinx

Reaction score
I'll second that, Foz!

I would have to say that Buck appears to have more accurate information on a wider variety of topics than anyone I've yet encountered.

Three cheers for Buck!