Your Thoughts: Muppets on the Nick & Jessica Variety Hour

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
I saw the whole show, it was less of a variety show and more of a musical fest. It was a bit boring, I would have liked more regular skits and less singing. But the Muppet appearance was good, a bit short though, and I would have liked it if there would of been more Muppets on it.
I don't know, I can't really decide which was worse: the underwhelming musical numbers, or the dumb sketches (and not dumb-funny, just plain dumb).

Muppet bit was the best part of it, but too short. The show was at least a notch dumber than Sonny & Cher's show. That's really saying something. The sketches sounded like they were written by junior high kids. The musical numbers went on a little long. Also, the duets, namely Jessica's with Jewel and Nick's with Babyface, made them suffer by comparison. Rule #1 of variety shows, never book guests more talented than you. Clearly Nick & Jessica are not as talented as they are pretty, and the husband-and-wife act is the gimmick that will keep them afloat. On their own, they'd sink.

I do want variety shows to come back. I just want them to be good. It seems like every time someone tries to bring them back, they do it wrong. Revive The Muppet Show, with writers who know how to write for the characters, who know how to write Muppet dialogue and humor, and who can stick with the format of the original.

"Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight..."

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Emerald, where does the pic in your avatar come from?

dmx10101

Reaction score
I want variety shows to come back too. I love the multiple skits in a show. That's why I liked Cedric the Entertainer Presents. It was a good variety show but got cancelled fairly quick.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to see more true variety shows as well. There's still an Emmy category for them, but it seems like they really have to stretch it--mostly talk shows and SNL. I think this show was intentionally corny and campy--I mean come on, KITT from Knight Rider was on-hand to sing a duet! They really seemed to be playing up the cheese-factor. I just wonder how a variety show with a modern sensibility would do, without just trying to spoof the older '60s and '70s examples...

Beebers

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
it remains to be seen whether Jessica Simpson's cleavage has enough staying power to overcome the anachronism that pervades this production. This is probably a one-shot deal.
Or two-shot, if the cleavage is the determining factor lol.

:big_grin:

Simpson is in the wrong line of work, and whomever told her she could sing should be dealt with.

Part of the problem with Piggy's look is the eyes, but too, a decision was made awhile back to slim her down, make her more svelte to keep up with the times. She's lost a LOT of weight. It compromises everything about her - the size of her body in proportion to her head is no longer reasonable or visually correct. I think it's a shame - she is a PIG, after all, and yet was made victim of the same skinnifying thinking as supermodels are. It's silly. Here's hoping they go back to the older build styles for Piggy.

I don't mind a return to silly humor, but a half-hour format is enough. The fatal flaw in this show, other than The Untalented Ms. Simpson, was the writing. The sketches were never developed to their potential. And the singing, well, it's Jessica Simpson. Enough said there.

:concern:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I noticed Miss Piggy....I saw her and went 'woah, what happened' so I went over to our TV and thought our setttings could be messed up...but I was wrong.

The special itself was corny and kind of stupid, but you know what? It wasn't crude, and that in itself made me keep watching it. The Mickey Mouse club thing did make me actually laugh once (I think it was little Christina with her shirt tied up!)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Revive The Muppet Show, with writers who know how to write for the characters, who know how to write Muppet dialogue and humor, and who can stick with the format of the original.
Here's where they go out, drag Juhl out of retirement, and have him TEACH new writers WHO The Muppets are and WHERE the humor comes from. After all, he practically created the Muppets through scripts and would know better than anybody else.

Except maybe some of us! LOL!

Drtooth

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
I want variety shows to come back too. I love the multiple skits in a show. That's why I liked Cedric the Entertainer Presents. It was a good variety show but got cancelled fairly quick.
It didn't get cancelled because of it's really stupid overpolitical correctness. The series was doing absolutely wonderful in the ratings, but (here's where it gets downright stupid...) because the audience was mostly African American, and not more "Diverse" they canned it right away.

cedric's Variety show was just brilliant, and it really deserved to be on a full season at least, but because of that rediculous screw up, the show is history...
:boo: :sleep:

dmx10101

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
It didn't get cancelled because of it's really stupid overpolitical correctness. The series was doing absolutely wonderful in the ratings, but (here's where it gets downright stupid...) because the audience was mostly African American, and not more "Diverse" they canned it right away.

cedric's Variety show was just brilliant, and it really deserved to be on a full season at least, but because of that rediculous screw up, the show is history...
:boo: :sleep:
That sucks, I didn't know that. I'm whiite and I watched it jeez. Sometimes I just hate Fox for the boneheaded moves they make. They should of atleast brought the first season on DVD.

Emerald

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Emerald, where does the pic in your avatar come from?

From my collection at home. I don't remember where I got it. A random search for Muppet pictures, probably.