Your Thoughts: Muppets on the Nick & Jessica Variety Hour

kermiejam

Reaction score
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i taped the special too i wanted the kermit miss piggy thing 2 be longer too i wanted them to have more airtime :mad:

muppetmaniac

Reaction score
i had flashbacks seeing the muppets on a stage, it was kind of nostalgic. :smile: the special was cheese- o - rama, i liked the opening number though.

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Ahhhhh! i was trying to watch the show, honestly, but it got so lame at points. so at commercials i kept flipping to "Pimp my Ride".... but at one point i forgot to flip back and I MISSED THE MUPPET SEGMENT! AHHHHH.
so can anybody let me know what went on during there sketch

Lu775

Reaction score
RockSTAR girl said:
Ahhhhh! i was trying to watch the show, honestly, but it got so lame at points. so at commercials i kept flipping to "Pimp my Ride".... but at one point i forgot to flip back and I MISSED THE MUPPET SEGMENT! AHHHHH.
so can anybody let me know what went on during there sketch

I found the show painful to watch, but I did catch the muppet segment.

Nick and Jessica were trying to sing on stage, but they were interrupted by other voices singing. Upon investigation they wandered to the stage beside them to find Kermit and Piggy taping a similar variety special and singing. Turns out Pepe had double booked the stage.
That was pretty much it.

BWSmith

Reaction score
Is Jessica's cleavage enough to keep an hour-long variety show afloat?

While I would agree that the variety show format is due for a comeback, I don't think there are any network executives who know how to modernize the format and make it work 20 years after the last variety shows disappeared from TV.

Last night's "Nick and Jessica Show" was not just an attempt at a variety show, but looked like an actual episode of "Barbara Mandrell" from 1982 with the Mandrell sisters digitally removed and Nick and Jessica superimposed on the stage.

I missed the first half of the show, but the second half saw the following cameo appearances:

Kenny Rogers
The Muppets
Babyface
Johnny Bench

Not to mention Jessica dancing to "She Works Hard for the Money" and a bizarre, over-the-top rendition of "Take My Breath Away" (was Simon Cowell watching?), both 80s songs. In case you didn't catch the Sonny and Cher imagery, they performed "I Got You Babe" together at the end... (in addition to the already-mentioned Elton John song, "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart").

Interlaced with this was cheesy, edgeless, cornball skits that were standard fare on the variety shows of my childhood, but are anachronistically out of place in an age where SNL and Mad TV humor is the standard.

I'm not sure who the target audience is for this show, because most of the people who enjoyed the variety shows of 20 years ago are either dead or have altered their tastes in entertainment with the times.

All-in-all, it remains to be seen whether Jessica Simpson's cleavage has enough staying power to overcome the anachronism that pervades this production. This is probably a one-shot deal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta say... the entire thing was pathetic. Don't know if they were perpously trying to make it be stupid or they were stupid unintentinally.

The 2 Minute Muppet Appearance was good, though. i didn't think the Piggy looked too bad... much better than the stupid "Floating head" Piggy they use way too much and Photoshop on old posters.... talk about yer ugly pigs. pepe really made the appearance great.

Plus I did like the Mr. T appearance. Wish they could have done something with the Muppets and Mr. T together!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
kermiejam said:
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i taped the special too i wanted the kermit miss piggy thing 2 be longer too i wanted them to have more airtime :mad:
I agree with that. They could have co-hosted or something like that.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I saw it too.

I thought it was..okay. :rolleyes:

Wish the Muppets got more airtime on the special.