1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Muppets on the Nick & Jessica Variety Hour

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. kermiejam

kermiejam New Member

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i taped the special too i wanted the kermit miss piggy thing 2 be longer too i wanted them to have more airtime :mad:
  3. muppetmaniac

muppetmaniac New Member

i had flashbacks seeing the muppets on a stage, it was kind of nostalgic. :) the special was cheese- o - rama, i liked the opening number though.
  4. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Ahhhhh! i was trying to watch the show, honestly, but it got so lame at points. so at commercials i kept flipping to "Pimp my Ride".... but at one point i forgot to flip back and I MISSED THE MUPPET SEGMENT! AHHHHH.
    so can anybody let me know what went on during there sketch
  5. Lu775

Lu775 Member

I found the show painful to watch, but I did catch the muppet segment.

Nick and Jessica were trying to sing on stage, but they were interrupted by other voices singing. Upon investigation they wandered to the stage beside them to find Kermit and Piggy taping a similar variety special and singing. Turns out Pepe had double booked the stage.
    That was pretty much it.
  6. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Is Jessica's cleavage enough to keep an hour-long variety show afloat?

While I would agree that the variety show format is due for a comeback, I don't think there are any network executives who know how to modernize the format and make it work 20 years after the last variety shows disappeared from TV.

Last night's "Nick and Jessica Show" was not just an attempt at a variety show, but looked like an actual episode of "Barbara Mandrell" from 1982 with the Mandrell sisters digitally removed and Nick and Jessica superimposed on the stage.

I missed the first half of the show, but the second half saw the following cameo appearances:

Kenny Rogers
    The Muppets
    Babyface
    Johnny Bench

Not to mention Jessica dancing to "She Works Hard for the Money" and a bizarre, over-the-top rendition of "Take My Breath Away" (was Simon Cowell watching?), both 80s songs. In case you didn't catch the Sonny and Cher imagery, they performed "I Got You Babe" together at the end... (in addition to the already-mentioned Elton John song, "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart").

Interlaced with this was cheesy, edgeless, cornball skits that were standard fare on the variety shows of my childhood, but are anachronistically out of place in an age where SNL and Mad TV humor is the standard.

I'm not sure who the target audience is for this show, because most of the people who enjoyed the variety shows of 20 years ago are either dead or have altered their tastes in entertainment with the times.

All-in-all, it remains to be seen whether Jessica Simpson's cleavage has enough staying power to overcome the anachronism that pervades this production. This is probably a one-shot deal.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I gotta say... the entire thing was pathetic. Don't know if they were perpously trying to make it be stupid or they were stupid unintentinally.

The 2 Minute Muppet Appearance was good, though. i didn't think the Piggy looked too bad... much better than the stupid "Floating head" Piggy they use way too much and Photoshop on old posters.... talk about yer ugly pigs. pepe really made the appearance great.

Plus I did like the Mr. T appearance. Wish they could have done something with the Muppets and Mr. T together!
  8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I agree with that. They could have co-hosted or something like that.
  9. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

10. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

I saw it too.

I thought it was..okay. :rolleyes:

Wish the Muppets got more airtime on the special.
  11. Sunrise

Sunrise Member

Ok, obviously I've been out of the loop. My first love is Sesame Street, but I'm a classicist and I don't watch the new stuff.
    So I don't care much for the characters being played by other people. I know that's the reality of the situation, but...it still stinks.
  12. GonzoPimp

GonzoPimp New Member

The Muppets in this show were ok. Not good not bad. I know they are playing it safe and testing the waters over at Disney. I think they passed. That’s good, though if they are taking the Muppets on the Family Entertainment Route it bothers me a bit. For me, that’s not entertaining.

It goes back to Snoop being cut out of the Christmas Special. I mean, come on! When you look back at old Muppet Stuff, it was filled with people who used Drugs or did other things that didn't fit into the Christian norm. So why did they bend to pressure and to cut the Dog out? Looking back I'm sure they regret it.

So I'm glad we will be able to see them again- so others can know who they are- but I will never forget who they were.
  13. Drtooth

I completely utterly and totallt disagree with that entire statement.

I think anyone who continues a role is doing a good job, especially Eric, who has been doing a better job with Piggy than Frank Oz as of late.

I know you are a classic perfectionist, but I real-ly have to say that if not for continuers, half the Muppet canon would be missing, we have anough gone as it is. I mean, if not for continuers, only Gonzo, Bunsen, and Rizzo would be left. Frankly, I do not understand how it could be offensive, since they are all doing a good job of brining classic characters back and into the future of the Muppets, and not just letting most of the characters fade into obscurity.
  14. Emerald

Emerald New Member

?

Well, to be honest, I personally have been submerged in my own collection of Muppet videos and DVD's rather than chasing after the new stuff like "Very Muppet Christmas". (I was happy to see that "Muppet Family Christmas" finally make it to DVD, though.) I hadn't noticed this change, either, until I saw the Pizza Hut commercials. So when did Frank Oz stop doing her voice? Didn't he do Miss Piggy for "Muppets from Space"? I think that was the last new Muppet thing I had seen before this last month, but I didn't remember noticing a different voice for that.

The times they are a changing, and I don't know if I'm a fan of it yet. :sympathy:
  15. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Okay, nevermind, I just found an article about Frank Oz. I hadn't realized that had happened, although I knew from my cousin's internship on Sesame Street that he didn't do much anymore there.

Well, I guess if we are to have Muppets at all, we have to put up with the cast changes. Although, at some point, maybe all good things must end. What would the Beatles have been like without John and George, as they would be without them now?

Change is hard.
  16. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Is big city. Is peoples. Is tomatoes.

Or something like that.
  17. GonzoPimp

GonzoPimp New Member

hahahhahaahh
  18. Drtooth

I do not think that Jim Henson wanted to see the Muppets end when performers pass on or leave. Jim Henson's legacy is that "The show must go on," IMO. even if the projects stink, the magic, wonder, art and skill of the muppets is present in everything, be it Sesame Street, Muppet movies, muppet appearances, even commercials. The skill, artisanship, puppetry, and love are why the Muppets should never end. After all, it's not like the puppeteers cannot stand what they are doing, and hate eachother. There's definately a brotherhood in the muppetry troope.

All things must end, yes.... but I'd rather see the world end first than the Muppets!
  19. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

Very well put. I totally agree! Actually I like, totally agreed with the whole post but I really liked that quote. Anyways about the show I thought the whole show was dumb and was ready to turn it off at any minute but I sat through it for the Muppets. The things I'll do for them. :) Yeah, but I did really like their whole appearance on it. I found it very funny and exciting just to see them on tv. Their appearance was short but so were the other guests so I wasn't really expecting anything longer. So overall a bad show but the Muppets were like, totally awesome. Fer sure. :flirt:
  20. Drtooth

Dedication... you wanna talk about dedication? I sat through the WHOLE thing, skipped out on my favorite show (the only live action, nonpuppet show I watch, actually) Arrested developement just to see if they were to come back. I'm a muppet loyalist... or, since I sat through the whole painful ordeal, maybe a Muppet Extreemist! Ouch!

They did have one blooper at the end, though, where Jessica said "Mr.Piggy" by Mistake, and Kermit says something like "I do not like being called that!"

Jessica Simpson sucks, but at least she has good taste in the way of Muppets.... :eek: