1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Muppets on the Nick & Jessica Variety Hour

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Later tonight the Muppets will appear on "The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour" on ABC at 9 pm eastern/8 pm central. This will be the first nationwide appearance of Kermit & Piggy since the Disney acquisition on February 17.

Be sure to check out the show, then post and let us know your thoughts about this special prime time ABC appearance.
  2. Well, that was a brief apperence. That was only 2 minutes! But I won't give up, there might be more! I expected to actually singing that whole time rather then cutting them off.
  3. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Well, it was cute. Even if that's all they do, it was good to see them back on a TV variety show!!
  4. goldenarrow05

goldenarrow05 New Member

well...

Oh the things we submit ourselves to as fans.... the appearance wasnt bad... a little short, but not bad. The rest of the show on the other hand... wow... corny comes to mind. Anywho, this is what the muppets needed. Bring on Oz!
  5. Sunrise

Sunrise Member

Was That Frank??

Did anybody else think that Piggy was not being performed by Frank Oz? It just did not ring true to my ear. Either she was being voiced by someone doing their best impression, or Oz's own voice has changed drastically. The bit was funny, but too short. If that wasn't Oz playing Piggy, Disney just slipped another few notches of respect. :mad:
  6. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Short...but funny! :p Tapin another show next door! Ha ha... I didn't know Pepe would be there too! That waz cool. Bring on the Oz tv movie now! :excited:
  7. Randlev

Randlev New Member

Hey, don't bash the mouse because piggy's main man isn't Frank Oz anymore. That happened well before Disney got involved. That being said, I though Eric Jacobson did do a very good job, assuming that WAS him, at first i was't sure, but it must be that watching It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie so many times I've gotten used to his performance of Piggy. What can I say, sure it was short, but it was nice to see something new, especially when it's as awesome as Piggy and Kermit singing Don't Go Breakin' My Heart. And the one blooper at the end where Jessica says Mr. Piggy, and Kermit replies something like "Yes, I am called Mr. Piggy often." that was pretty funny.

Anyway, all around, I didn't think the special was that bad, with the best moments being the Muppets (of course), Mr. T's 10 seconds of awkwardness, and the Mickey Mouse Club Sketch, that kid was a dead ringer for Justin Timberlake in his Mouseketeer days!!!
  8. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

The variety show itself was really bad. The appearance of Kermit, Piggy, and Pepe was short, corny, and they really did not need to be in the show.

Kermit and Piggy wouldn't have had a problem trying to perform their show if Scooter actually booked them instead of Pepe. Ha ha.

Now if the muppets did a variety show in prime time...

ryan
  9. duderguy

duderguy New Member

corn

"Now if the muppets did a variety show prime time...."

It would be corny too!..im not sure if we both watched the same muppet show, but muppet humor relies heavily on gag jokes and corny humor. not always, but alot. Brain henson talks of jim saying "It's a perfectly terrible joke... but its worthy of us." All variety shows contain corn. Especially the muppet show... its just a more creative, imaginative type of corn. The muppets fit in pretty well to the show in my opinion.

Anyhoo i thought it was a great idea to throw pepe in there as he is loved so well as a new generation muppet. He definatly pulls in more fans.

Also, what is with piggys eyes? How long have they looked like that?

THE DUDE
    Matt
  10. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Same here. I thought it might be more but there wasn't. I liked it. It cool to see Pepe there too. I was wondering when they said and THE MUPPETS! I figured more but I liked it anyways. It was pretty cool. Maybe if there's any more Variety Shows maybe more Muppets will interact on there. I liked the whole thing. I'm into that kind of corny shows. FUNN-IEEEEE!!! :o
  11. Where have you been? Piggy/ Fozzie and all of Oz's characters haven't been played by him in a while! Did anybody else notice how ugly Piggy was? :mad: Her build looked tiny. Her face looked more like Annie Sue! I thought I heared somwhere that they were supposed to announce their new tv show.

Ty
  12. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

I thought the segment was alright, it was what it was. By the way, does Frank not have anything to do with the Muppets anymore.
  13. fragglerockr

fragglerockr Member

Yeah,

I was over discussing the Piggy puppet with some of the guys at Toughpigs and I think we all came to the agreement that it has something to do with her eyes. It's the placement or something. It just makes her look different somehow.

Fragglerockr
  14. jediX

jediX Active Member

Meh is all I can say about it. Wasn't good. Wasn't horrible. Just meh.
  15. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

I saw the whole show, it was less of a variety show and more of a musical fest. It was a bit boring, I would have liked more regular skits and less singing. But the Muppet appearance was good, a bit short though, and I would have liked it if there would of been more Muppets on it.
  16. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

A bit too short for my liking; they could have found ways to stretch that bit out. Nick and Jessica could have fought it out with Kermit and Piggy (but mostly Piggy) for rights to the soundstage, for example. Plus, I dislike that Pepe has apparently usurped Scooter's role as go-fer/backstage manager.

Don't put the blame on Disney for that. Frank has been distancing himself from the Muppets for a while now. Eric Jacobsen has since taken over Piggy, Fozzie, Bert, et al. And personally I think he's doing a pretty decent job with those characters.

-Kim
  17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Where to start

You guys amaze me. This was a great oppretuinty for the muppets and personlay i think what the show was really trying to do was put some people that have not been in the spotlight for some time and put them back in.

This was to kind of test the waters of a prime time audience to see if the muppets still had what it took for prime-time. I did however find pepee being there kind of funny but yet Scooter could have done a better job.

On the show itself i never watched the newly weds show. but i thought that this was very famly oriented and thats great!!! We need more of that, people are to much into non-famly stuff so even if the muppets did a show it would not last because people would not like it being to famly oriented.
  18. G-MAN

G-MAN Active Member

The only thing I didn't like was the simple fact that even though it was supposed to be The Nick And Jessica Variety Hour, everything seemed to revolve around Jessica.
  19. sk8er_kermie

sk8er_kermie New Member

Nick and Jessica Variety (Sour) Hour

that show was awful :boo: ! kermit and piggy did bring some excitement to it though :) ! if it weren't for them i probabaly would have changed the channel before i fell asleep:sleep:! Newlyweds is funny...that was just pure lame! oh and i agree with GMan that the show did revolve around Jessica. there was barely any Nick.
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Didn't see it, but a few points to make on what I've read. Jessica's dad is her manager, and he likely had all this started somehow so that's why she's probably more focused on--that and she's a whiney baby from what I've seen on her show. Had I been Nick, I would have run the other way, but apparently he likes a challenge. I also read recently that she's getting all the spotlights and shows and awards and there's some jealousy on the homefront, but I paraphrase as I have no bibliography to back that up.

Frank Oz practically quit the Muppets like around 7 years ago or so with only a once in a while visit to perform anything on SS or otherwise; most of the Muppets productions have all been voiceovers which is why his characters weren't very funny in the last couple of films. Jacobson brought Fozzie back to life again for sure and is awesome on the other Oz characters.

Another hit against the show was likely the fact that there hasn't been a variety show (or writers for such) since the late 70's/early 80's. Once that kind of programming gets back on track again such shows could be famously funny again.

On the other hand, it's really sad that the Muppets had to depend on their breif appearance on this show to determine their popularity in achieving another show of their own. Basically saying: The unpopularity anymore of Mr. T or Nick/Jessica or whoever else could delay or deny the Muppets of their true calling.