The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yes, the "Saying Goodbye" moment was a real tear-jerker, but I think the saddest Muppet moment was when Big Bird learns of Mr. Hooper's death.

Mayhem Diva

Reaction score
Gimme some Kleenex!

Good grief, I feel as if I should have been more prepared before reading this thread! I'm sitting here looking at the ceiling to avoid full-fledged tears while reading every other post. Pathetic!

1. "Life's like a movie; write your own ending..." at the end of TMM

2. "I'm going to go back there someday..." --- A sad little Gonzo AND a harmonica? OK, OK, ya got me... I'm only so strong.

3. I had *completely* forgotten about this until I read Jackie's post, and it was one of the aforementioned tear-inducing ones:
"I did promise somebody... I promised me." GULP!

4. Itzhak Perlman and little girl on "Sesame Street" discussing, "Some things that are easy for you are hard for me, and some things that are hard for me are easy for you." I'm a former Easter-Seals camp counselor, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but it just gets me in the chest every time. I think it's SO important that children get a good feel for different disabilities (and extraordinary ABILITIES, such as his magnificent talent on the violin) early in life. *Sigh*

Lunatic Daring

Reaction score
You're all spot on, so so many weeping moments and I too am tearing up reading them, you have pretty much all the classics listed.

A funny/sad moment occured for me that relates to this post...I had gone to visit NYC and the museum of radio and television was doing a Jim tribute and they were showing all sorts of clips in the main theatre, so naturally, I glued myself to a seat.

Sure enough they show the Mr Hooper died clip and the part where Bob starts to weep when Big Bird wants to give Mr H the pic he drew of him and I believe it's Maria who says you can't, he died, and Big Bird, in response to this says, "that's ok, I'll give it to him later" or close to that phrase, so I start to FULL OUT weep in my chair and this huge guy sitting in front of me turns full around and stares at me as I make the "sorry, I'm emotional" face!

I also ball my eyes out at John Denver's Christmas with the Muppets album...especially when I think about Jim, John, and Richard being gone, and that dang Alfie song, everrrry time, thank goodness christmas is but once a year!

Last but not least, those of you who have the book "The works"-the excerpt from Jim's unfinished book (it's a wonderful life and i love it) and Candice Bergen on the emmy's...killer stuff.

Now...to the tissue box...to the Muppet tissue box even!

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
Very first post on this board! I read this and HAD to post...

sotouching that everyone is really that into Muppets...I've felt the same way since as long as I remember, with the Muppet Show coming out the same year I was born, and along with Sesame Street, and the movies, being a staple of my life ever since...

Anyway, Of course the tribute episode for Jim was amazing! I haven't thought of that in years, and would LOVE to have it on tape...but it was so sad...I was crying...

my favorite one though, before I read all your posts (which choked me up too, I'll admit), is Gonzo singing "GO back there someday" in The Muppet Movie, and Kermit talking to himself after...that always makes me sniffle :frown: ...until I hear Dr. Teeth ("Exterior Desert: Night, and we knew right where you were!") :big_grin:

Mayhem Diva

Reaction score
Just a notification that I've recently fired myself upon discovering that I listed the Itzhak Perlman/little girl moment, and it has not a single Muppet in it. Got a little carried away with the idea, I think. My apologies! :frown:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by GuySmiley
Hi Guys!

Following on from the 'Best ever Muppet Moment' thread - I would be interested to hear what are all your most 'tear-jerking' moments - you know when you're watching with someone else and have to look away before you break down into an uncontrollable wreck....anyway I digress!

For me I have boiled it down to two:

1. The big crowd finish to The Muppet Movie as the camera pulls back to reveal them all (Lifes like a movie...)

and

2. The crowd finish to The Muppets take Manhattan

For me, anything where there are a lot of muppets in unison seems to get me....

I look forward to hearing from you!

Guy!
WOAH!!! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PICTURE OF GUY SMILEY???????

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Let's see...

Of course, Jim Henson's and Richard Hunt's passings, not to mention those of Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) and Northern Calloway (David), especially because of the conflicting reports I've heard of Mr. Calloway's passing.

Ernie & Bert's "Gift of the Magi" (CEOSS)

Gobo trying to find the Great Bell only to come back and find his friends frozen solid. (What was that about all the puppets on hooks waiting for Jim to break that spell?....) (FR)

Gonzo's version of "My Way" and Kermit giving him a hug.

I used to wig out at the Sandy Duncan/Sweetums sketch (I'm sure I could take it now, since it involves a pie in the face.)

Miss Piggy getting turned to stone by Tony Randall. (Although I'm sure Kermit and Floyd didn't mind...)

It's not a Muppet spot, but it was on Sesame Street: seeing a cartoon magician wig out because he can't make six dots disappear (this was in a segment teaching the #6). Fortunately this was also the episode where Bert sings about "Six", one of my favorite Bert moments.

Mr. Hooper's death as explained to Big Bird.

Maria and Luis's wedding. (Especially when you hear what's going on in David's head, as he was Maria's original boyfriend)

Kermit singing "The Christmas Wish"

"A Song From Kermit" (a little melancholy for the frog)

ANYONE'S version of "Bein' Green", most notably Frank Sinatra's or Tony Bennett's

muppetfreek

Reaction score
On jim henson's tribue whena ll the muppets are singing in memory of him.

something like:

If just one person believes in you
Deep enough and strong enough believes in you.....

i dont know all the words tho..kinda mumble along the bits i dont know!

Oh, Matt, how about Ray Charles' version of being green and theyre all going 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh' in the background vocals?

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by TravellingMatt
Let's see...
Miss Piggy getting turned to stone by Tony Randall. (Although I'm sure Kermit and Floyd didn't mind...)

It's not a Muppet spot, but it was on Sesame Street: seeing a cartoon magician wig out because he can't make six dots disappear (this was in a segment teaching the #6). Fortunately this was also the episode where Bert sings about "Six", one of my favorite Bert moments.
What's so sad about those ones?????? anyways, i've never really CRIED watching Muppet movies, but these are the parts that were sad to me.

"Saying Goodbye" was sad, but hey! they got back together! i knew they would.

When Gonzo says goodbye to everyone in Muppets From Space, but it was hilarious when he decides to not go and Rizzo runs up
and hugs him saying "I MISSED YOU!" cuz he didn't even go anywhere!

"I Don't Want To Live On The Moon". it just is.

Jim Henson's death, even though i didn't find out who he is, like, 5 years after i started watching Sesame Street (which was after his death), i knew it must have BEEN sad. Same with Richard Hunt and Will Lee and Northern Calloway. Who owns Hoopers Store now?

man, i'm tired

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
1.In the Lola Falana Episode of TMS, when Gonzo sings "my way"before going to India, and breaks down, I Wept freeley.

2. Ever Since JH's death, Rainbow Connection tears me up.