Some people are so closed minded

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

I'm 32 in August and I've never let go of the things I love, and my friends love me all the more for that. I'm still very real, attend my job, pay my rent and my electricity, but I have fun with all these things--much more fun than spending money on something stupid like cigarettes or drugs/alcohol, or partying at clubs. I don't surround my every waking moment with these things (Muppets, Fraggles, Peanuts, Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, etc.) but they are a big part of it because of what I collect. They make me happy. There is nothing wrong with being an adult and holding on to something that makes you happy! It's a real happiness, not one fake happiness created by drugs or alcohol that a lot of people get sucked into. Nothing about real life is a cartoon but it's good to have something fun and happy to escape reality, but I do like marshmallows...roasted.

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
baby sinclair said:
OK, you've got me there i never said there anything wrong with liking muppets. Its weird when some people are adults and become too wrapped up into a puppet show.It seems like their life is just big cartoon and everythings made out of marshmellows. :sleep:
If some adult think of their lives are a big Cartoon and made of Marshmellows, I say, "Good for you, for taking life as it comes, for not dwelling on all the bad things of the world, for finding something decent and pure and holding on to it" just wait tell your older, have a job, and moved out of you parents house and have alot of responsabilities, bucase you will then reolize you can never be to old for something and sometimes you will want to have those "childish things" to help you escape from the hard frustrating life of the "real" world! Let me tell you, the real world sucks most of the time, when your young all you want to do is get older, get a job and make a life of your own. But when you finnaly get their you wish you could be home watching tv all day and have your perants pay for everything again! Just Wait! You'll see what I mean!
ty

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
You're kidding, right?

I'm 32 in August and I've never let go of the things I love, and my friends love me all the more for that. I'm still very real, attend my job, pay my rent and my electricity, but I have fun with all these things--much more fun than spending money on something stupid like cigarettes or drugs/alcohol, or partying at clubs. I don't surround my every waking moment with these things (Muppets, Fraggles, Peanuts, Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, etc.) but they are a big part of it because of what I collect. They make me happy. There is nothing wrong with being an adult and holding on to something that makes you happy! It's a real happiness, not one fake happiness created by drugs or alcohol that a lot of people get sucked into. Nothing about real life is a cartoon but it's good to have something fun and happy to escape reality, but I do like marshmallows...roasted.
Right on, brother! Well said!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Exactly! Video games and sports are no more "immature" than puppets.
Expanding on that, I don't see how it's any more immature than Jerry Springer, Reality TV, and all that other crap people love to watch.

>>Its too bad when people lose their sense of imagination or wodner...those are the people that need psychiatric help.<<

That's pretty much 90% of society.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
There is nothing wrong with being an adult and holding on to something that makes you happy! It's a real happiness, not one fake happiness created by drugs or alcohol that a lot of people get sucked into.
(Stands up and applauds)

I betcha Jim Henson's applauding you too.

I've seen it around me all the time...people spending money on (like you said) stupid things like cigarettes, drugs and alcohol.

I grew up being made fun of at school because I (GASP!) never drank smoked or did any drugs. (I still don't and never will). And I was made fun of even more by choosing to spend my time and money on Henson (and other collectible) stuff than on alcohol, etc.

I can see why with the "Reign of Elmo" that people would think "Henson's only for kids". During the Muppet Show days people didn't think so, but then came the Muppet Babies days...and the "just for kids" opinion returned. Soon after (or during) things like The Soryteller and other complex Henson projects surfaced and some thought "Well...he made Sesame Street but look at this...Greek Myths...hmmm..."

Now with Palisades helping us out and with Fraggles being among the other memorable characters of adults' childhoods (such as Popeye and Star Wars), the public view goes to "Hey, yeah, I remember that show! That was a cool show! Yeah, Swedish Chef!"

So, what is the public's view of Henson? It's wembling. It wembles back and forth and has for years because Jim Henson made stuff for very young kids, older kids, adults...all ages. It just depends on which characters are in the spotlight and what's new. The public can switch on their TV and see Elmo's World, and then go to their local mall and see classic Muppet Show character figures displayed for sale, or even pick up a copy of "Designs and Doodles".

Jim Henson fascinates me, and always will...always. No matter what anyone says. Yeah, you might feel like the only Muppet fan out there sometimes, but that's what Muppet Central's for!:big_grin:

Convincing John

McFraggle

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
(Stands up and applauds)

I betcha Jim Henson's applauding you too.

I've seen it around me all the time...people spending money on (like you said) stupid things like cigarettes, drugs and alcohol.

I grew up being made fun of at school because I (GASP!) never drank smoked or did any drugs. (I still don't and never will). And I was made fun of even more by choosing to spend my time and money on Henson (and other collectible) stuff than on alcohol, etc.
I was never a drinker or smoker either. I never understood why society sees that as a normal part of growing up. I think it comes from the media as much as anything. I would rather be entertained by the Muppets and other similar things than waste my life, time, and money on things that don't benefit me at all. Laughter, as well as faith and other good things, cures most ills, not those other things.