Fraggle Rock: Season 1 DVD Coming Fall 2005

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
Just to remind American viewers, the European version of Fraggle Rock (the current 3-disc version selling on ebay) does NOT have the sequences with Doc and Sprocket as you're familiar...they are replaced with the lighthouse keeper for that market. While I enjoy my earlier PAL Fraggle DVD, I really did find it a downer that the shows weren't like I remember....whenever the fraggles venture into outerspace it's not the workshop that I was used to, and for this reason now I hardly watch that disc and instead am waiting for the full season one in R1 next year.

If you don't think you'd care about not seeing Doc/Sprocket, then by all means consider getting the European version as a hold-over in the meantime...

getup

Reaction score
DaViD Boulet said:
If you don't think you'd care about not seeing Doc/Sprocket, then by all means consider getting the European version as a hold-over in the meantime...
i just think of it as a bonus and as a collector find it great to be able to add that to the collection. i can so wait for the dvds seeing i have all the US episodes on tape and can still watch at any time...it's nice to see somewhat different episodes even if it is a mere 5 mins each episode...but yes...i will always love Doc and Sprocket the best. no one can replace them :wink:

Pero

Reaction score
Hey, I didn't know that :smile: As a European viewer I always saw the episodes that I have on DVD now.

Could you guys give me some more info about what those differences really are?

We in Europe have a Doc and Sprocket too, in their workshop. And that's where the Fraggles have to go to get their new postcards from their uncle. That uncle is in Outerspace and always tells about his adventures in the human world. We can see those adventures in short scenes where he walks among regular humans etc.

anathema

Reaction score
There's been a slight misunderstanding here :smile: There are two DVD sets available on this side of the pond.

The 2-disc UK set features the UK edits of the shows, with Fulton Mackay as the Captain, who is a lighthouse-keeper. Fraggle Rock is the name of the rock on which the lighthouse stands. This version of the show was specific to the UK. This DVD set includes 12 episodes, mainly from the second US season, plus the documentary "Down At Fraggle Rock".

The 3-disc set is not a UK release, and therefore features Gerry Parkes as Doc.

As always, American fans should remember that the vast majority of US DVD players will NOT be able to play these discs.

getup

Reaction score
hmmm, yeah i had thought that it was regular doc and sprocket...i'm just waiting for that store to ship my dvd...i'm also waiting to receive my region-free dvd player i ordered as well...hopefully they will arrive shortly after the thanksgiving break!!!! maybe just in time for my birthday :smile:

BarkingSprocket

Reaction score
getup said:
hmmm, yeah i had thought that it was regular doc and sprocket...i'm just waiting for that store to ship my dvd...i'm also waiting to receive my region-free dvd player i ordered as well...hopefully they will arrive shortly after the thanksgiving break!!!! maybe just in time for my birthday :smile:
Well as a Brit guy I grew up with Fulton Mackay as the Captain I do hope HIT Entertainment release a UK version to. I would hate to watch Fraggle Rock without the Captain. It just wouldn't be right somehow.

Fraggle Lover

Reaction score
This is sweet I'm gonna tell the guys on Fragglerocker.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody know how much its gonna cost? Probably about 40 bucks
but I just wonna be sure. :smirk:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Fraggle Lover said:
Does anybody know how much its gonna cost? Probably about 40 bucks but I just wonna be sure.
That's unsure as of now, but most season box sets of TV shows (of shows the length/size of the Fraggle's 1st season) usally run anywhere from $29.99 to $49.99. We'll have to wait and see when HIT! officially announces the set.

Frags

Reaction score
Well - this is all good news - but, before I get too exited - does this dvd come out in the UK too - because the 'Where it All Began' and 'Dance your Cares Away' seem to have skirted round UK, as it were. I know we have the 12 episode dvd - but does this season 1 dvd come to UK - anyone?