1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Fraggle Rock: Season 1 DVD Coming Fall 2005

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by MuppetDude, Sep 17, 2004.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet New Member

Just to remind American viewers, the European version of Fraggle Rock (the current 3-disc version selling on ebay) does NOT have the sequences with Doc and Sprocket as you're familiar...they are replaced with the lighthouse keeper for that market. While I enjoy my earlier PAL Fraggle DVD, I really did find it a downer that the shows weren't like I remember....whenever the fraggles venture into outerspace it's not the workshop that I was used to, and for this reason now I hardly watch that disc and instead am waiting for the full season one in R1 next year.

If you don't think you'd care about not seeing Doc/Sprocket, then by all means consider getting the European version as a hold-over in the meantime...
  2. getup

getup New Member

i just think of it as a bonus and as a collector find it great to be able to add that to the collection. i can so wait for the dvds seeing i have all the US episodes on tape and can still watch at any time...it's nice to see somewhat different episodes even if it is a mere 5 mins each episode...but yes...i will always love Doc and Sprocket the best. no one can replace them ;)
  3. Pero

Pero New Member

Hey, I didn't know that :) As a European viewer I always saw the episodes that I have on DVD now.

Could you guys give me some more info about what those differences really are?

We in Europe have a Doc and Sprocket too, in their workshop. And that's where the Fraggles have to go to get their new postcards from their uncle. That uncle is in Outerspace and always tells about his adventures in the human world. We can see those adventures in short scenes where he walks among regular humans etc.
  4. anathema

anathema Active Member

There's been a slight misunderstanding here :) There are two DVD sets available on this side of the pond.

The 2-disc UK set features the UK edits of the shows, with Fulton Mackay as the Captain, who is a lighthouse-keeper. Fraggle Rock is the name of the rock on which the lighthouse stands. This version of the show was specific to the UK. This DVD set includes 12 episodes, mainly from the second US season, plus the documentary "Down At Fraggle Rock".

The 3-disc set is not a UK release, and therefore features Gerry Parkes as Doc.

As always, American fans should remember that the vast majority of US DVD players will NOT be able to play these discs.
  5. getup

getup New Member

hmmm, yeah i had thought that it was regular doc and sprocket...i'm just waiting for that store to ship my dvd...i'm also waiting to receive my region-free dvd player i ordered as well...hopefully they will arrive shortly after the thanksgiving break!!!! maybe just in time for my birthday :)
  6. BarkingSprocket

BarkingSprocket New Member

Well as a Brit guy I grew up with Fulton Mackay as the Captain I do hope HIT Entertainment release a UK version to. I would hate to watch Fraggle Rock without the Captain. It just wouldn't be right somehow.
  7. Fraggle Lover

Fraggle Lover New Member

This is sweet I'm gonna tell the guys on Fragglerocker.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Does anybody know how much its gonna cost? Probably about 40 bucks
    but I just wonna be sure. :smirk:
  8. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

That's unsure as of now, but most season box sets of TV shows (of shows the length/size of the Fraggle's 1st season) usally run anywhere from $29.99 to $49.99. We'll have to wait and see when HIT! officially announces the set.
  9. Frags

Frags New Member

Well - this is all good news - but, before I get too exited - does this dvd come out in the UK too - because the 'Where it All Began' and 'Dance your Cares Away' seem to have skirted round UK, as it were. I know we have the 12 episode dvd - but does this season 1 dvd come to UK - anyone?
  10. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

11. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

This is SO cooooooool!
  12. sheesh

sheesh New Member

It'll be worth the wait!

No i dont have any info on the forthcoming (is it DEFINATE?) season boxset, but there is no doubt that it'll be fantastic. The uk dvd is great but i wont wait for a uk season 1. As soon as it out over there i want it.
    As for the different 'intros' heck if i miss the lighthouse that much i'll get it twice.
  13. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

The Fraggle Rock Season sets ARE NOT DEFINETELY BEING RELEASED!

You need to contact HIT! by writing letters AND calling. Do both, Its the only way we will see the Boxsets. Make sure you tell them that we want ALL FIVE SEASONS too.

Otherwise, We will just not get these boxsets. Its all up to us fans.

All the addresses and info are on the front page of my site...

www.angelfire.com/super2/fragglerock0/
  14. AbbessBryony

AbbessBryony New Member

I put one of the banners on the main page of my website. :excited:
  15. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

Exactly. The fans must continue to speak. Otherwise it simply won't happen.
  16. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

I'm sorry if I misled anybody with this thread. :(
  17. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Season Sets are NOT in progress!

I decided to check up on the progress/status of this project. I sent HIT! a simple e-mail and they quickly responded. Here is how the exchange went.

Dear Hit Entertainment,

I a simple question:
    Yes or No: At this point in time is HIT! Entertainment working, in anyway, to produce season box sets of Fraggle Rock on DVD?

Thank you for contacting us. At this time, it has not been decided if season sets will be made. But we will pass your interest along to our Brand team for future consideration.

Thank you for your interest in HIT Entertainment.

So as of right now (January 31, 2005), there are no plans for season sets, or a decision to produce such a product. Somewhere along the line there was a miscommunication that got "Fall 2005" into people's heads, but as of now there are no plans for season sets. So I urge everyone to write and call.

Their toll-free number is 1-866-405-7625.

...or You can write them a letter at:
    H[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IT Entertainment[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Attn: Consumer Relations (Fraggle Rock Season Sets)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PO Box 9000[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Allen TX, 75013[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]..or e-mail them at consumerrelations@hitentertainment.com[/font]

...or do all three.

Please request season box sets to HIT! Entertainment. As of now, they are not in the works and it is our job, as the fans, to convince HIT that we want them and they should make them.

18. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

We all MUST CONTINUE to keep in contact with HIT!

Three or four months ago, they were so sure of the demand for season box sets that their telephone operators were already telling people they were coming in Fall '05 (a whole year in advance!!!)

I know many people here are among those who want the sets and wrote form letters to HIT originally requesting them, so PLEASE PLEASE everyone keep writing letters and calling. Form letters are equivalent to about 10 telephone calls, so do both!

Just because you've already sent HIT a letter doesn't mean you can't continue to do so. I've been mailing the same letter about once every other month, and call about once a week, to keep my demand fresh in their minds.

Address:
    HIT Entertainment
    Attn: Consumer Relations (Fraggle Rock Season Sets)
    P.O. Box 9000
    Allen TX, 75013

Telephone Number:
    1-866-405-7625

Thank you :)
  19. I wonder if they ever will release them or if they figure they can make more money if the charge $15ish for 3 episodes. It would suck if we had to wait to get all the episodes in these 3 EP DVD things.
  20. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

We'll at the rate they are going -- 3-episodes per release and a release every 3 months (WIAB-July, WIAB:SE-October, DYCA-January, LBTROTR-April) -- it would take 32 releases and 8-years (until July 2012) to relelase all the episodes of the show. Being HIT only has the rights until April 2009, all the episodes won't get out the way they are doing it. At their rate about 58% of the episodes (under 60) will get out (that is if they keep continuing the DVD patterns as it is now without slowing down, or stoping it) by the time the contract runs out. Not to mention the cost --(if all episodes were released this way) it would cost around $480

Even with Season box sets, if they don't make up their minds to decide to make them soon they won't have enough time to make all 5 season box sets (a set of that size usally take 4-6 months to produce). If by late 2006 they haven't started work on season box sets they probally won't be able to do it sucessfully (unless they renew/extend the contract with Henson). As of now, HIT has no plans for season sets, and unless we convince them otherwise, they will never get made and we'll be suck with a large portion of the show unreleased. The cost for 5 season box sets would usally run you around $180 (that $300 less than the whole show on single-disks)