Snuffy and Big Bird

BWSmith

Reaction score
I remember the episode that Snuffy was 'copter transported to Hawaii.
Do they even make helicopters that can airlift a wooly mammoth from New York City nonstop to Honolulu (complete with meals)?
:big_grin:

BWSmith

Reaction score
i recall another time where Luis was cleaning an inside of a barrel and Mr. Hooper was cleaning a bowel
Was that the one titled, "Mr. Looper Visits the Proctologist"?

roadrat15

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
Do they even make helicopters that can airlift a wooly mammoth from New York City nonstop to Honolulu (complete with meals)?

The way he was flying I think a meal would be HIGHLY ill advised.Can you imagine being an islander, looking up and suddenly drowning in Snuffy upchuck?!(There will now be a slight intermission while board memebers go off to barf!)

MJTaylor

Reaction score
roadrat15 said:
I remember the episode that Snuffy was 'copter transported to Haiwaii. Surely somebody must've seen him then.Or maybe Snuffy is a Jedi Master:

SNUFFY: REMEMBER, YOU DIDN'T TRANSPORT A TEN TON MAMMOTH BY
WINCH JUST NOW.
PILOT: WE DIDN'T TRANSPORT A MAMMOTH JUST NOW

Well, that's possible. After all, R2D2 and C3PO sometimes appeared on Sesame Street.

Censored

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Hey ngirl23,

Big Bird first met Snuffy when Sesame Street began it's third season (1971-1972). When Snuffy made his first appearance, he was very scary and ugly. He had greenish eyes that tilted and his head wasn't really round. When Big Bird told Gordon, Susan, David and Rafaiel about Snuffy, they didn't believe him at all. The whole human cast saw him fifteen years later in 1985.
Hope this helps.

But, alas, some humans like Mr. Hooper and Rafaiel were destined never to meet him.

maxdrive

Reaction score
didnt the humans first meet snuffy in a sesame street movie i seem to remeber them all seeing him for the first time in a movie and they were alls cared of him what movie was that if it was a movie. i really think it was

Censored

Reaction score
maxdrive said:
didnt the humans first meet snuffy in a sesame street movie i seem to remeber them all seeing him for the first time in a movie and they were alls cared of him what movie was that if it was a movie. i really think it was
No. Only two Sesame Street movies were made and neither one was about that. The humans discovered him on a television episode.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
On November 18, 1985, everyone on Sesame Street finally saw Aloysius Snuffleupagus (AKA Snuff).

For many years, Big Bird was the only character on the show who saw him (he only came along when Big Bird was alone, and always left before anyone else came back). The other characters teased Big Bird when he said he had seen the Snuffleupagus, because they didn't believe there was such an animal. Yet Big Bird and Snuff became best friends.

The adults on the show were sick and tired of Big Bird blaming “Snuffy” for anything that went wrong when they were away. They urged Big Bird to say his good-byes to Snuffy his imaginary friend once and for all, as they were driven to the brink with all the nonsense. Even the Sesame Street newspapers had front page headlines saying that Snuffy had to go. So, Big Bird and Snuffy sadly said their good-byes in Big Bird's nest area. They cried in remorse for their forced separation. Snuffy's tear fell onto Big Bird while they hugged, leading Big Bird to the conclusion that if he could even feel the water from the tears, Snuffy must be real.

For years, Snuffy was considered by the humans on the street to be merely an imaginary friend of Big Bird. But after America became plagued by multiple child rapings in the mid-80s, the Children's Television Workshop's producers of the show feared kids that watch the show might think if nobody believed what Big Bird says happens when he's alone, no one would believe them either. The producers felt that children need to be able to feel adults trusted and believed what children say. Therefore, Snuffy was finally revealed to the rest of the street to be real, causing an array of disbelief and apologies to Big Bird from the others on the street.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
But, alas, some humans like Mr. Hooper and Rafaiel were destined never to meet him.
Neither did Matt Robinson. Lol. So was the episode where Snuffy was revealed the first with Elmo? (I mean the Kevin Clash Elmo that we know today.) It's kind of interesting that he helped Big Bird in that ep. Now it seems like Elmo has taken Big Bird's place as the star of the show.

SesameMike

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Big Bird first met Snuffy when Sesame Street began it's third season (1971-1972). ... The whole human cast saw him fifteen years later in 1985.
Yep, I was in kindergarten when Snuffy first appeared, and I was a sophomore in college when he was finally revealed to the adults. Watching the revealing episode on a communal TV at the university, a fellow student took one look at the show I was watching, and said "Uhh, we have to talk." And back in kindergarten, one day the teacher was showing the class a cartoon picture of an elephant (may have been from the Weekly Reader) and pointed out its trunk. I raised my hand and said "That trunk, is also called a 'Snuffle'." The teacher was like "huh?", while a chorus of kids just laughed. Though at least one classmate knew who I was talking about.

Aside from the usual, unfortunate abuse-related reasons for revealing Mr. Snuffleuppagus to the adults, I was told there were other reasons: the cast and/or crew were getting sick of the gag, and the writers were running out of ways for the adults to "just miss" seeing him.

BTW, it wasn't just Big Bird who could see Snuffy. The children on the show could too. Whole thing has a remarkable similarity to the Great Gazoo on later episodes of The Flintstones; the kids can see him because they "understand" him, while Fred and Barney see him because they found him.

Could the Muppets see Snuffy? Back when I watched there were rarely scenes where that would have been an issue. I do remember Grover telling Big Bird that Snuffy was just imaginary. But a few shows later, when a street theme was that Grover had the hiccups, Big Bird showed Snuffy to Grover, "surprising" him so much that he was cured!