Snuffy and Big Bird

Cheebo

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
and it bothered me that he didn't apologize for his cowardlyness to BB and his friends.
He wasn't a coward, he just had bad timing.

Censored

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Hey ngirl23,

Big Bird first met Snuffy when Sesame Street began it's third season (1971-1972). When Snuffy made his first appearance, he was very scary and ugly. He had greenish eyes that tilted and his head wasn't really round. When Big Bird told Gordon, Susan, David and Rafaiel about Snuffy, they didn't believe him at all. The whole human cast saw him fifteen years later in 1985.
Hope this helps.

Yes, and of course, the later redone skits where Big Bird and Snuffy are trying to remember how they met, look nothing like the original.

Censored

Reaction score
The idea of Snuffy always being missed was a bit frustrating, but when you think about it, the whole scenario was so far fetched, it had to be funny. This huge, unique looking creature roams the street and no adult happens to see him. He was often right with the adults and it was just a matter of their turning their heads, which of course they would never do at the right time. It's also funny that they would have trouble believing that such a creature exists when they see an eight foot bird, a furry green grouch, monsters, and other strange looking "humans" everyday.

Yes, the main reason they decided to let Snuffy be seen was due to the child abuse issue. However, they also said that just about every scenario of Snuffy being missed had been done and the running gag was getting old anyway.

I would like more information on how many muppets actually saw Snuffy during his "hidden" days. It seemed like the writers could not quite make up their minds as to whether the other muppets would fall into the category of "adults" who don't see him or "children" who do.

Take care

mikebennidict

Reaction score
oh i agree. it was funny at times. matter of fact i recall another time where Luis was cleaning an inside of a barrel and Mr. Hooper was cleaning a bowel. and snuffy comes by when after they go into the store and drinks the water and oscar who was going to take a shower and has his can open, Snuffy sticks his snuffle in the can and drinks the water. after leaving, Oscar comes out shouting somebody stoled his water probably explained how it happened. Luis & Mr. Hooper laughed but when they discovered what their water gone.they say who took our water? also while there were many cases when it was bad timing when the adults missed him. i'm pretty sure there were times Snuffy coped out. rememebr Elmo struggled to keep him at Big Bird's nest in order for him to meet everyone.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Hey Mike I saw that episode! And it was rather funny. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time. It's a pity Mr. Hopper didn't live to see Snuffy. That would have been great.

[QUOTE
Anyway, the whole reason that Snuffy was finally seen by all was that, in the early '80s, child abuse had really taken a rise, and the people behind SS were afraid that kids might take the whole Snuffy/not real thing as meanin' that adults wouldn't believe 'em if they told 'em stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well, I came pretty close to being abused at my first school by the teachers, so I can relate. I think that's why I hated it when no-one saw Snuffy except Big Bird. I remember being at a friend's house the year before Snuffy was outed and reading a book she had called, "The Great Sesame Street ABC Hunt", which was first printed in the mid-70's. I enjoyed it apart from the Snuffy "not being real" storyline. Eleven years later I found the book in an op-shop and had another look through it. I enjoyed it much more the second time around!

Hays

Reaction score
I vaguely remember Big Bird discovering Snuffy, and thinking how cool he was - though I don't remember him looking any different. I had lots of imaginary friends at the time, so I really appreciated that Big Bird had one, too. I understood completely how the grownups never saw him. Of course, the child abuse issue takes precedence over shy little kids with active imaginations, but I was a little sad to hear that Snuffy was outed.

I also remember that Snuffy wasn't entirely blameless in being "invisible;" Big Bird would set him up to meet somebody, and he'd get a shyness attack and dissapear. He was a lot more neurotic back in the day.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
thats cool

thats cool when you think about it cause haveing Big bird imagen sunffy in Flow that Bird was really neat he should have just ened up there then.

salemfan

Reaction score
MIKEB97 said:
Hey ngirl23,

Big Bird first met Snuffy when Sesame Street began it's third season (1971-1972). When Snuffy made his first appearance, he was very scary and ugly. He had greenish eyes that tilted and his head wasn't really round. When Big Bird told Gordon, Susan, David and Rafaiel about Snuffy, they didn't believe him at all. The whole human cast saw him fifteen years later in 1985.
Hope this helps.
I wasn't born in Snuffy's invisible days. I only found out about them from reading, "The Sesame Street ABC Storybook" and "The Sesame Street 123 Storybook" in the stories, "The Sockmaker and the Snuffleupagus" and "Goldie-Snuffle and the Seven Bears." Where did Big Bird first meet Snuffy? Was Snuffy shy of people that he took off before anybody saw him? Was Snuffy camera shy? Was there ever an episode where Big Bird tried to take Snuffy's picture?
Well, it's a good thing Snuffy became known.

salemfan

Reaction score
Natalie said:
Ok, I've never heard of this book, is it just at normal book stores or do you have to order it online or what?
I looked on Amazon. The book is out of print, but you may still be able to get it used from Amazon Marketplace or other used booksellers.

roadrat15

Reaction score
I remember the episode that Snuffy was 'copter transported to Haiwaii. Surely somebody must've seen him then.Or maybe Snuffy is a Jedi Master:

SNUFFY: REMEMBER, YOU DIDN'T TRANSPORT A TEN TON MAMMOTH BY
WINCH JUST NOW.
PILOT: WE DIDN'T TRANSPORT A MAMMOTH JUST NOW

:big_grin: