Ask Ken at Palisades

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
Re: the eyes mislead

Originally posted by CheckChuck
i keep seeing the phrase "tampo print" and think of tampons. it's disturbing...
I know, eh? I first thought that this was a method in which writing was applied to tampons, before wondering why there would need to be writing on them...

um..it isn't though, right?

Rufus

Reaction score
1) do ya have a full pic of that skeksis ya made, and have ya done any other jhc related characters?

2) do you have any tips for using castilene?(ie: sculpting detaile dprototype figures) I am extremely interested if any fan out there has used Castilene to make a JHC related character, Muppet or creature shop.

3) How the heck does one make articulation? The Palisades prototypes appear to be articulated...and I was just wondering what the secret recipe is.
I'm still working on the Skeksis. I do have a full picture of the work-in-progress but I haven't put it online yet... I'll try to get to it one of these days. The only other JHC character I've sculpted is Kermit, which I did way back in the summer of '98... way before the Palisades stuff, and when there wasn't a decent, readily available Kermit figure or statue around. So I had to make my own. My old avatar was a pic of that. It's no longer on my site because I don't feel it's a good representation of my work anymore, plus the Palisades one is soooo much better. Kermit was the second "serious" sculpt I did, Gizmo was the first and is still on my website because I'm still amazed at how well that one turned out. The fur texture and ears could use some work but the pose and expression are perfect (IMO).

If you have a non-flourescent desklamp and a handful of sculpting tools, then you're all ready to use castilene! Use the desklamp to keep a portion of the castilene pliable, and just sculpt like you would with any other clay. Eventually you may want to look into getting a waxer/hot sculpting tool (mine cost about $100) which is like a heated pen so you can carve and slice and smooth the castilene.
I would advise getting the hard castilene (it comes in soft, medium, and hard.) I got a brick of the medium and a brick of the hard, and I'm not going to bother with the medium anymore. It gets soft too quickly from the heat of your hands.
Other than that, just grab a clump of it and go to work! I studied computer animation in school, so all my sculpting abilities were largely self-taught.

I'm attempting articulation for the first time with the skeksis. Simple articulation, it's all swivel, post-and-hole.

oh, and it's not in scale with the 12" Gelflings, the thing would have to be frickin' huge! At least 24" (and that's cheating the scale, a LOT!) I would have been very impressed and amazed if Sideshow had gone through with their plans to make them that size.

Hope that helps, beaker... and anyone else who read through all that!

- R -

radionate

Reaction score
Rufus,

I gotta tell you, I've looked at your stuff before and its really great. Gotta love the Jessica. Great job capturing her in 3D. Amazing stuff. Love the outdoor pictures too!

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Will Sam Arrow's treasure map be made of paper or plastic?

Paper. It will fit inside Kermit's Bible.

The first being, seeing as you guys now have the rights to the Muppet movies, does this mean there's a higher possibility of seeing Travelling Matt (he's down the front at the wedding in TMTM) Fraggle or other 'cameo' muppets?

In life, all things are possible. Chant with me people...

The second, have you worked out what's happening with Janice's arms yet?

Never had anything to work out. They are sculpted to hold a guitar.

Third, when will we get a peak at series 4? I can't wait for Pigs in Space!!

You already did on one of our Daily Bits. We showed a sculpt of Link. Any more will have to wait until Toy Fair in February. Might show something in a Collector Club Sneak Peak which I am getting ready to put together.

Finally, has Johnny Fiama or Sal Mannila been given an approximate or tentative series no.?

Is this a trick question?

Oh, man... the pain. Guess I'll throw away all this Orioles stuff I'd been collecting!

We have a couple of Ravens fans in teh office. I am really the ONLY Oriole, or baseball fan, in the office. I have been living and dying with the Orioles (mostly dying) since 1982.

um..it isn't though, right?

It is not. It is an industry term derived from the "stamp"-ing action of the print screen. I have NO idea why they don't just call it STAMP PRINT, instead it is called Tampo Print. I guess it's cool in the same way that you call Bizzarro Bizzarro and not Bizzare.

Foreignman

Reaction score
I always thought that Kermit was Jewish... Oh wait then he couldn't date Miss Piggy...

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Foreignman
I always thought that Kermit was Jewish... Oh wait then he couldn't date Miss Piggy...
LOL :big_grin::big_grin: :big_grin:

Oh, that's horrible....

anyhow, um Tampo! Yeah!

tomahawk

Reaction score
ken, how did the hair on beaker turn out? is it any different than the smaller version? i figured maybe some of his accesories could be different style wigs. you know like the fonz, the kid n play or the al sharpten. and maybe even carrot top.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
His book in MTI...it has a cross on it...assumed it was a bible.
It was the ship bible. Remember when they had that funeral service for Sammuel Arrow?

I think one of the pirates pulled out a page and used it to make... THE BLACK SPOT!!!!!