When will we Muppet fans say somthing?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Man of Muppets said:
I can't believe some people think the muppets are for 3 year olds.
They are, though, you know? That's the beauty of the Muppets--they're for three year olds, eighteen year olds, twenty-nine year olds, fifty year olds, seventy year olds, 120 year olds... That's what I love about true "family" entertainment.

:smile:

Jennifer

Reaction score
Do you guys think that with John Lasseter in charge of a lot of things at Disney, things might improve for the Muppets? I see in John a lot of the creativity and wonkiness that characterized Jim. In fact, there was something very Henson-ish about Monsters, Inc...maybe it was no coincidence that Frank Oz did a voice.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Jennifer said:
In fact, there was something very Henson-ish about Monsters, Inc...maybe it was no coincidence that Frank Oz did a voice.
Absolutely! I've thought this too, so I think that Pixar's renewed presence at Disney can only be a good thing for our fuzzy gang...

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Jennifer said:
Do you guys think that with John Lasseter in charge of a lot of things at Disney, things might improve for the Muppets? I see in John a lot of the creativity and wonkiness that characterized Jim. In fact, there was something very Henson-ish about Monsters, Inc...maybe it was no coincidence that Frank Oz did a voice.
HE DID!! Who's Voice?

Jennifer

Reaction score
He voiced Fungus...the not-so-bad sidekick of Randall Boggs. Listen closely and you're sure to pick up on it. Especially his line at the end, "Oh, this is great!" while putting on a funny set of glasses to go collect some kid laughter.

spcglider

Reaction score
We shouldn't have to.

Like you, I find myself increasingly concerned about how MHC is handling the Muppets.

Quite honestly, what I've perceived recently is not much more than the Muppets being used as shills for product. Nothing other than trying to cash in on the established entertainment capitol that the Muppets have.

I'm very disappointed that Kermit is pushing S.U.V.s... even "green" ones.

So what, you may ask, is the diference between Kermit pushing "pizza popper crust" for Pizza Hut and Wilkins and Wontkins pushing Wilkin's Coffee?

To my eye, a vast universe of difference supported by VERY different attitudes about marketing and "what is good" for the Muppets. And roughly 40 years of hard work by the folks who created them.

Jim did commercials, yes. But Jim was in control of how his creations were perceived. And the "shrine to the almighty dollar" was erected because he knew that doing these things were a "necessary evil" to get his creations in a better place financially. That was in the beginning. What he was doing was supporting himself with honest work.

If I could believe that the Muppets pushing product was anything other than the bean counters trying to wring every last penny out of the property, I'd have a better attitude towards the idea. But so far, it doesn't seem so. It just looks like they're cashing in on the Muppets' fame... eating the infrastructure to do it.

When this deal went down, we were told there would be a NEW MUPPET SHOW. We were told about MOVIE PROJECTS. We were excited by the news of a REVITALIZED MUPPET PROPERTY. New merchandising...the lot.

Frankly, I haven't seen it.

And even more frankly, it's not our fault.

Look at this board. Look at this community. We ARE sounding off on a daily basis. In public. For anyone at MHC or Disney to see.

Can you honestly say that there is a BETTER source out there for what the fans of the Muppets might be thinking on any given day? Any more accurate repository of the overwhelming commitment and admiration that these characters enjoy?

Maybe its for the best that we don't have a say in how the Muppets are handled. I know, that's heresy, but bear with me.:embarrassed:

"The powers that be" KNOW we exist. They KNOW this community exists. Yet somehow, even after all the kvetching (sp?) and conversing and suggesting and brainstorming, TPTB still haven't seen fit to exercise the Muppets in the way we PLEAD for them to exercise them on a daily basis.

What's the answer? That's not for me to say. Not that I couldn't, but nobody at MHC or Disney is interested in my reply. If they were, they'd already know from reading this forum.

Is there still hope? Of course there is. We can see that, but do they?

-Gordon